Booking your Own cruise and then switiching to TA before final payment??

The RC agent that i spoke to said that I would lose my $150 OBC but not my deposit. I'd better double-check with another rep, though, just to be sure that she was accurate. Thanks for the thought on this. Better safe than sorry.

Good idea. I've hung up from talking to one agent and immediately called back just to get a second opinion before.

If you made bookings before 10/18/2010, then these are grandfathered in under the old rules. Any bookings made before 10/18/2010 can be transferred to a TA up until final payment.

Bob

Hi Bob! How did you find out about the grandfathering in? I read about the can only transfer in 60 days rule on here. I immediately contacted my TA and she was able to make the change for us although it had been well past 60 days. Luckily as we so appreciate the the free insurance, obc and other perks. I had made the booking October 7, so I guess I was grandfathered in - but if you did not say anything I would have thought it was just a "rule" that RCI didn't actually follow or the TA could sweet talk around. Although, I do think I was so scared to have lost that much that I probably would not have taken the chance again... Thanks so much!

Debbie

With all the policy changes, I will not be booking my cruises as far in advance and will probably be booking them directly with my TA, less hassle, mine at present has no fees.

OP, if TA is offering decent OBC etc. now I would lock their offer in, as they may change their policy.

I lost about $200. on an cruise a few years ago because I held it with X for 1 year plus, when I transfered, my TA said their commission from RCI was now lower, so I did not receive the same % as I did in the past.

Has RCCL made it more difficult to change staterooms within the same class?

E.G.:

I book an E1 stateroom, through a TA, for a 2012 cruise, the next time the TA offers a great deal with OBCs. (NOT using a Next Cruise certificate.)

I keep watching the E1 staterooms on the same cruise and 100 days before the cruise, my dream E1 cabin opens up. I have not yet made my final payment.

Are there any reasons or policies preventing me from changing cabins within the same class?

Thanks for your insight,

Sylvia

There is never a problem with changing your cabin number within the exact same category.

If your travel agent charges a fee for this, FIRE THAT AGENT.

This change can happen at any time, before or after final payment. It's really no big deal.

CHANGING categories could trigger a change in fare, however. Same category, no problem.

E.G.:

I book an E1 stateroom, through a TA, for a 2012 cruise, the next time the TA offers a great deal with OBCs. (NOT using a Next Cruise certificate.)

I keep watching the E1 staterooms on the same cruise and 100 days before the cruise, my dream E1 cabin opens up. I have not yet made my final payment.

Are there any reasons or policies preventing me from changing cabins within the same class?

Thanks for your insight,

Sylvia

NO, not with RCI, but what is your TA's policy and can you reach them on the weekend?

This is why so many people, me including preferred to keep control up until final payment prior to these policy changes.

There is never a problem with changing your cabin number within the exact same category.

This change can happen at any time, before or after final payment. It's really no big deal.

CHANGING categories could trigger a change in fare, however. Same category, no problem.

I agree....:D

Hi Bob! How did you find out about the grandfathering in? I read about the can only transfer in 60 days rule on here. I immediately contacted my TA and she was able to make the change for us although it had been well past 60 days. Luckily as we so appreciate the the free insurance, obc and other perks. I had made the booking October 7, so I guess I was grandfathered in - but if you did not say anything I would have thought it was just a "rule" that RCI didn't actually follow or the TA could sweet talk around. Although, I do think I was so scared to have lost that much that I probably would not have taken the chance again... Thanks so much!

Debbie

When the rule change was made last October, there was much discussion on these boards. Someone called Royal and got the policy about grandfathering. So far, it's seemed to have been honored by Royal. Glad it worked out for you.

Bob

No need to worry about this, as you already have signed up in the past, they already know you and still can track your bookings and connect them with your screen name:p

I've actually considered re-opening a new account with a new screen name for that very reason....:rolleyes: But where would that leave me?:confused: My whole psyche and identity is wrapped around my sassy screen name. :D

"Foxtrot Dancer" just won't cut it. :p I'm trying to not get overly bothered by the whole big brother issue. ;)

I also did not have a problem being grandfathered in. I just transfered my upcoming Allure cruise to a TA that I booked last April, so almost a year latter. I was ready for a fight, but the transfer went through within 24 hours, no hassles at all. But now I will probably just book my 2012 directly with the TA instead of worrying about the 60 day mark.

you must keep the same reservation # associated with the "Next cruise" onboard credit in order to retain the OBC. Therefore, I do not believe you would be able to simply cancel as I do believe you will lose the credit. You must carry the original reservation # so your booking date will not change and therefore you can not switch to a TA for added perks...atleast this time. Live and Learn.....it's happened to all of us

I would be interested in how this works out for you, possibly you could get lucky?

Carol

E.G.:

Thanks for your insight,

Sylvia

NO, not with RCI, but what is your TA's policy and can you reach them on the weekend?

This is why so many people, me including preferred to keep control up until final payment prior to these policy changes.

Thanks for your replies!

Since I have never booked a cruise so far in advance, I just wasn't sure if RCI had any newish policy regarding cabin changes within the same stateroom category, since we know that sometimes that "dream cabin" pops up closer to our sail date ;).

My TA is quite nice and can be generous with perks, but I would hate to, for example, book a cabin in my favorite class and find out that if a better location opened up, within the same class, that I would be stuck. :(

Thanks again,

Sylvia

E.G.:

Thanks for your insight,

Sylvia

Change cabins if you like...no reason not to do so in same class...

E.G.:

Thanks for your insight,

Sylvia

If you change your cabin multiple times with some TA's, you should expect to pay a fee. If you do it enough, you may find that your TA FIRES YOU as a client.

If you change your cabin multiple times with some TA's, you should expect to pay a fee. If you do it enough, you may find that your TA FIRES YOU as a client.

Why do you always say this? It's got nothing to do with anything.

Good thing I decided to log in this morning. I am getting ready to book a cruise and had planned on doing it on my own then transferring later. I also would rather keep track of my cruise and transfer much later. I have a next cruise and my balcony discount, I like to see it all applied before I give it up! Not to mention watching the price for a while.

So I only have 60 days from the time of booking to transfer? Is that correct?

E.G.:

Thanks for your insight,

Sylvia

So, CoachT,

Out of curiousity, why do you believe a cruise passenger should expect to pay a fee if said passenger changes cabins "multiple" times? :confused:

How would you define "multiple" times when one is booking over a year in advance? :)

I guess you don't make your living in the "mamby-pamby" service industries. :rolleyes:

Sylvia

Good thing I decided to log in this morning. I am getting ready to book a cruise and had planned on doing it on my own then transferring later. I also would rather keep track of my cruise and transfer much later. I have a next cruise and my balcony discount, I like to see it all applied before I give it up! Not to mention watching the price for a while.

Yes, for cruises booked after 10/18/2010, you have 60 days from booking to transfer to a travel agent. Or until final payment, whichever is sooner. I'm not sure how a next cruise is handled, i.e., if the 60 days starts from when the next cruise is purchased, or when it's assigned to a specific cruise.

I am going on my second cruise and all this talk is very interesting. My first and second cruise I booked through my TA. I really did not understand the booking on the cruise thing. And now you all are mentioning the benies from your TA, which I have not gotten. Can someone explain to me. Thanks

Our first cruise was handled by some friends who planned a group cruise. They chose the travel agent and everything was done for us. We didn't know a thing about cruising, so this was great and simple. BUT...

I found Cruise Critic! I began reading things on the "saving $" board, about travel agent perks and benefits. Someone mentioned a website that you can go to which allows you to plug in your upcoming cruise info and have travel agents bid for your cruise by offering a price & benefits.

I booked my own cruise after learning to find my way around the Royal Caribbean website; then began to learn to watch for sales. Calling for a price drop was simple and rewarding. I also learned how to choose a room, which rooms are preferable (hump rooms in the middle of each deck as well as the "aft" rooms at the very back of the ship). Rooms tend to become available, as people do switches and room upgrades. Watching the RC site also is nice as they will drop the price on room category upgrades. We splurged for a Grand Suite one year, when the total price for 3 of us was $800 more. We felt that was a bargain and it came with some great benefits, like nightly cocktails in a private lounge and a lovely breakfast there each morning.

After managing my own booking, changing rooms until I was happy, and taking advantage of sales (price drops, residency sales, senior discounts if that applies), I then plugged my info into that website that I mentioned. MANY offers came in from travel agents all over the US. Perks galore. I chose one from my home state and then checked the Better Business Bureau report on that company. The lady has turned out to be a real gem--courteous, organized, and always very prompt to reply to my emails or phone calls. For a seven-night cruise, all of our gratuities were paid, and we received a dining upgrade and a coupon booklet. Gratuities amount to about $20 per person in your group so for 2, that is $40 per day x 7 days, and the dining upgrade to Portofino's was worth about $20 pp.

For our upcoming cruise, which is a 12-nighter, she offered me $350 in on-board credit OR gratuities pre-paid and a $100 on-board credit. I took the $350 offer PLUS I requested one night dining upgrade at Portofino's. She said that was fine.

Like I said, I enjoy managing my own booking until final payment date, like others do, but have no issue handing this task over to a trusted travel agent. I just wish I'd have been made aware of the policy change because it has adversely affected my Next Cruise booking credit. I'm out the $150 credit that I "earned" by booking while on-board our last cruise. I'll find some way to make up for it, though. Maybe a Crown & Anchor OBC will turn up?

Yes, that's the new policy that was put in place last October. 60 days from your specific cruise booking date. Some people say that the 60 days starts when you book a "Next Cruise" non-specific booking while on-board a previous cruise (you plunk down a small deposit while on-board and qualify for on-board credit). Although that Next Cruise booking date DOES show up on your reservation form, the Royal agent told me that the 60 day time limit is based on the day that you actually book a SPECIFIC cruise, which makes sense.

There are many of us who like handling our own cruise booking until final payment time, but find those travel agent perks too good to pass by. Transferring late was having the best of both worlds. I'd like to know why others like handling their own booking versus passing the whole task over to a travel agent right away. I find the Royal agents so courteous and obliging on the phone. None have ever seemed irritated by my room changes, cabin upgrades, requests for application of price drops, dining table seating or time changes. The whole process is gratifying for me and I don't feel like I am imposing on my travel agent or missing out on ANY great deal or having to wait for a "middle-man" to make the changes. I also believe based on a recent comparison with another person on the same upcoming cruise thread as me, that I got a larger price drop than she did for the same cabin category. I obtained the drop on my own through a Royal agent and she obtained her drop through her travel agent.

Why do you always say this? It's got nothing to do with anything.

It was in answer to a certain poster who said that if a TA should charge a fee then fire that TA. So yes it had to do with everything!

So, CoachT,

Out of curiousity, why do you believe a cruise passenger should expect to pay a fee if said passenger changes cabins "multiple" times? :confused:

How would you define "multiple" times when one is booking over a year in advance? :)

I guess you don't make your living in the "mamby-pamby" service industries. :rolleyes:

Sylvia

Why do you believe someone can change their mind multiple times and not be charged? Do you think you could order a paint color, start painting and then change it and not be charged?

Yes people who work in service industries do so to get paid, they are not charity positions.

"I really don´t get your point though, why won´t you book with a TA right away, or why can´t you transfer within 60 days:confused:"

I can transfer future bookings within the 60 day time-frame and will do so. For this particular cruise, I booked Next Cruise while on-board, a short time after the policy change took effect. I had no idea that there was a policy change and only stumbled on the information here on Cruise Critic. By the time I found out, it was too late to salvage my Next Cruise on-board credit of $150 for our 12 night cruise because I'm more than 30 days past the 60 day transfer deadline. If I switch to my travel agent by cancelling and re-booking, I lose the $150 OBC. I guess I COULD make up for it by ordering fewer cocktails while on-board. :D or rather...:( I'm pathetic...I like the deals.

"if you deal with a TA the TA does most of the changes online via cruisingpower, when you deal with RCI you have to call and someone there has to answer your call and make the change and for all that they won´t save the commission in the end, as you transfer the booking."

That was something new to me...thanks for sharing.

"Not as hard as who? The RCI agent you booked with? I doubt it.

If you mean not as hard as yourself, I say you are right, but you can still work as hard on all that as you do when booking with RCI, just call a different person for adjustments.

The only thing might be that the TA is not willing to give as much of his/her commission if the TA has to do much more work with a number of changes."

I've been very happy with the RC agents. I've never put my own travel agent to the full-test, which would mean telling her that I'd like her to watch for every deal and discount and have them applied as they come up. I wonder how she would fare? I'm basing my feelings on the first AAA travel agent that we used. She gave me zero info on which rooms were preferable, no upgrade info at any time, no discounts at any time, and she coughed up one $35 perk for $ for us to burn through at the casino and THAT puny perk was shared between my husband and myself. I was too uninformed to know that travel agents would actually compete for my business and offer varying degrees of dollar amounts as on-board credits.

On top of that, what you mentioned about "a number of changes" and the commission loss is part of the whole picture. I'm a do-it-yourselfer and would rather feel like I've earned some of those commission dollars by doing my own work. I figured the agent that I settled with would be happy to accept a smaller commission with next to zero work when I had my booking transferred during the week of final payment.

Gratuities amount to about $20 per person in your group so for 2, that is $40 per day x 7 days, and the dining upgrade to Portofino's was worth about $20 pp. "

Sorry for the error. Grats are up a bit but to a little over $22 per day for 2 people in a stateroom...not $40.

Archived