Safe's in cabin

msstarr22

Does anyone know if there are safes in the cabins on the Freedom? If so will it hold a laptop computer?:confused:

Was just on Freedom - there are card activated safes - they won't hold a laptop. Contrary to posted info, we did find that we could use our S&S card to lock/unlock the safes. ken

Was just on Freedom - there are card activated safes - they won't hold a laptop. Contrary to posted info, we did find that we could use our S&S card to lock/unlock the safes. ken

You can, but you also can't hide your S&S card in the room for someone else to use.

And if that one chance in a million you lost your card and whomever found it could figure out where your cabin was, they could also get into your safe. Like I said, the chances are one in a million but it could happen.

And if that one chance in a million you lost your card and whomever found it could figure out where your cabin was, they could also get into your safe. Like I said, the chances are one in a million but it could happen.

Not that you could lose that card---but IF the card becomes demagnetized (which happens a lot) you will be waiting a long time to get that safe opened.

Safes are not all that large- If you are worried about a lap top- pt it in a suitcase-lock the suitcase and stick it under the bed.

2479842110026519897MsvrNk_th.jpg

Ken I think you misunderstood. they tell you not to use the cards, in case they have to change them or whatever. also I think if you use the card, there are more people who will have access to your safe I read.

Iv never read it didnt work.... i read they say dont use it.

You can, but you also can't hide your S&S card in the room for someone else to use.

They (Carnival) also recommend you DO NOT use your S&S card for the safe. I just use an old gift card or coffee card and hide it in a pair of underwear in case someone else needs in safe. Just put your lap top in suitcase under the bed if you are concerned - although most people just leave on desk or in beside table out of sight and had no issues - just make sure it is password protected and not logged on (that would be a whole new problem). Unless you really need it for business or school work I would leave it at home. You can borrow one (limited number) free from the internet cafe.

Ken I think you misunderstood. they tell you not to use the cards, in case they have to change them or whatever. also I think if you use the card, there are more people who will have access to your safe I read.

Good Point(s)! ken

Never had a problem with laptops. You can either stash in locked luggage or simply use a cable lock. I have not always used a lock, but I have never had a problem. I can't imagine any room steward risking their job over theft.

Never had a problem with laptops. You can either stash in locked luggage or simply use a cable lock. I have not always used a lock, but I have never had a problem. I can't imagine any room steward risking their job over theft.

The room stewards leave the doors open while cleaning. I have entered and left my cabin several times without the room steward knowing I was there. Also, if they are cleaning your cabin and need a supply, they will leave your cabin door open while they go get the supply they need.

In short, people other than the cabin stewards can steal things from your cabin.

That's a very good point. I imagine if a dishonest person with a little bit of knowledge found an S&S card the first thing they would do is try it in the cabin safe.

That's a very good point. I imagine if a dishonest person with a little bit of knowledge found an S&S card the first thing they would do is try it in the cabin safe.

your cabin number is NOT listed on the sign and sail card

We used our S&S card by mistake once in the middle of a cruise. Worked perfectly for the safe, but the first time we tried to use it for a drink, it was denied. :mad:

Rushed to Guest Services to get it squared away. They issued us a new S&S card and had security accompany us to the room to insert our new card, then the security guy inserted his card. The safe opened. He then had us use a non-S&S card to reset the safe. ☺ ☺

Using your S&S card for your safe defeats the whole idea. Doing that allows anyone with a pass card to open your safe, not just the people in guest services who are authorized to use the safe pass card. Say you drop your S&S card on the Lido deck and some miscreant picks it up. They now have access to your cabin and your safe and your diamond jewelry and cash.

Oh yes, for the benefit of the honest amongst us, it is all too easy to access the cabin number via your folio number which is on the card. Carry a card just for the safe. We usually use a 5 year old S&S card.

Doc

Using your S&S card for your safe defeats the whole idea. Doing that allows anyone with a pass card to open your safe, not just the people in guest services who are authorized to use the safe pass card. Say you drop your S&S card on the Lido deck and some miscreant picks it up. They now have access to your cabin and your safe and your diamond jewelry and cash.

Oh yes, for the benefit of the honest amongst us, it is all too easy to access the cabin number via your folio number which is on the card. Carry a card just for the safe. We usually use a 5 year old S&S card.

Doc

Unless they just watched you walk out of your cabin they won't know where it is. As previously mentioned cabins numbers are not on the sail and sign cards. How can they get your cabin number from your folio number? Never heard that one.

Doc

there is NO WAY to get a cabin number using the FOLIO number. You can not use that folio number is a cabin to check the charges other then IN the cabin the card is for.

Going to the pursers desk-- what are you gonna do-- say I have my card can you tell me my cabin number--LOL

I grabbed an unactivated gift card from a retailer, doesn't matter which one, and just used that for the safe. Then my S & S card is safe, and so are any other cards I use. No risk of demagnitizing cards I may need to use. Just a thought.

Of course, you can also use an old gift card too, I just didn't have any.:o

there is NO WAY to get a cabin number using the FOLIO number. You can not use that folio number is a cabin to check the charges other then IN the cabin the card is for.

Going to the pursers desk-- what are you gonna do-- say I have my card can you tell me my cabin number--LOL

I'm not going to provide the method here, but I can think of a very easy way to get the cabin number if you have the room key. And no, you don't go to guest services and ask for the cabin number.

Not that you could lose that card---but IF the card becomes demagnetized (which happens a lot) you will be waiting a long time to get that safe opened.

Safes are not all that large- If you are worried about a lap top- pt it in a suitcase-lock the suitcase and stick it under the bed.

2479842110026519897MsvrNk_th.jpg

You could also cable lock the suitcase to the bed and then put a loud alarm on it so that if anyone tries to open your suitcase or cut the chain, they get scared off. I found an item on the WEB that will be just what you want - "Heavy-duty padlock emits a loud 110dB alarm when disturbed alerting you and scaring away a potential thief". I tried to find a place where you could add an automatic tear gas or pepper spray system to your suitcase protection system but the only one I could find was mad by an outfit in South Africa and you might not want to go to that extreme.

Or else, you could just leave the laptop lying around the room and not worry about us which is what most of us do.

DON

Archived