Butter on HAL?

Sugar's Mom

It was said rather pejoratively about the Swiss the only way they could turn their back on the horrors going on next door during WWII and retain their vaunted "neutrality" was by concentrating on smaller and smaller things. :o Maybe this is our own defense against all the fundamental changes going on the world right now? Butter: salted or unsalted. Ouch.

And, besides, if you want to cut down on bread by making it less palatable, just ask for veggiemite.

Sure am glad to see that none of our Aussie friends accused me of slandering their national spread. I've been told that a taste can be cultivated for almost anything; and, based upon other threads discussing veggiemite on this board, it is apparently dear to the hearts of many (some?; at least a few?) Aussies.

CowPrincess, can you find Lactancia Plus? Might want to try it.

Canuck - if you're a woman struggling with a low carb diet, don't beat yourself up. Men lose faster on this one.

Not a very "cruise" post. Sorry.

Thanks Fann1sh, for that info. I'll have a look next time we get to the city. I really do go into butter withdrawal post-cruise :) (See, back on topic :) )

We use unsalted butter at home and think the unsalted butter on the ship is way better - don't know how they get more flavour in it but they do.

Canuck - good luck on the "no carbs" am doing that too and I miss the bread! A neighbor lost 30 lb in one month but that is too much I think.

I will take butter any day over manufactured spreads! but of course I grew up with home churned butter.......

Juanita - Thanks for the good wishes and good luck to you too. I have lost 37 lbs once in about 6 weeks, then 28, then 23 - I am the "Janet Jackson" of "Yo-Yo Dieting" - as I get older - it gets waaaaay harder - LOL.

CowPrincess, can you find Lactancia Plus? Might want to try it.

Canuck - if you're a woman struggling with a low carb diet, don't beat yourself up. Men lose faster on this one.

Not a very "cruise" post. Sorry.

Fann1sh - thanks for the encouragement. I fell off the wagon for two days:eek: Don't want to step on the scale. I must get back on track today. I will just strap myself to the treadmill and take my chicken broth through a straw for the next 30 days....:D I can have butter on "no carbs" but there is nothing really good (no carb wise) to put it on. I WANT BREAD!

Okay - now back to the regularly scheduled programming of BUTTER TALK....:)

Canuck

I haven't used salted butter in 40 years. I get enough salt in other foods. I just wished that their bread was better. I had a n aunt that used sweet butter and then put salt on it. We will not use margarine as there is too much salt and chemicals in it and hate the taste. Also the whipped spread that some restaurants serve in place of butter.

I can't believe the threads on this topic - but since it's going, what the heck - I like HAL's butter. Not a thing wrong with it. I far prefer to add salt than to have it added for me - (there is enough already);)

I never noticed the butter on HAL was unsalted an I'm a salt-a-holic. Their breads are so yummy I can't wait to taste them again in 23 days:).

I absolutely do adore the raisin-bun-croissant-textured little things they offer in the "danishes" section in the Lido. With butter. Lots o' butter :D I made the mistake of grabbing margarine one morning. Not quite the same!

Wow! 23 days! :D

I absolutely do adore the raisin-bun-croissant-textured little things they offer in the "danishes" section in the Lido. With butter. Lots o' butter :D I made the mistake of grabbing margarine one morning. Not quite the same!

Yuk! What a good way to spoil good bread....by putting raisins in it;). I saw people on my last cruise buttering danish. Now I love my butter but even I wouldn't do that.

Those are to die for! I have them every morning on our cruises.

And, for you purists, today I went to Fresh Market and bought a half pound of unsalted European Plugra butter...I'll try it on my English muffins in the morning! I'm hoping I don't like it...it was considerably more expensive than the usual unsalted butter that we buy!

But, "curiosity killed the cat," and all that....

Plugra butter is available in my local Publix. I started using it a few years ago when I got more serious about cooking and baking.

It's good, but I still agree with the other poster that European butter is better still and just doesn't seem to be available here.

To the poster who complains that margarine has chemicals in it, .... HELLO, everything that is not vacuum has chemicals in it! Not that I think margarine is more healthful than butter, but I wouldn't use the CHEMICAL argument.

My local fancy grocer carries European butter - at least two brands. I've never tried them.

I buy salted butter at home, but honestly can't say whether I detected a difference on my last HAL cruise.

At home, I put butter on cooked vegies, potatoes, noodles and rice. On a cruise, or in a restaurant, I assume that those things are already seasoned/buttered, and I am usually right about it.

At home, I use butter on toast, with eggs, in the morning. On my last cruise on HAL, the toast delivered to my room was too cold to melt the butter, so I skipped it and just used the honey.

To the poster who complains that margarine has chemicals in it, .... HELLO, everything that is not vacuum has chemicals in it! Not that I think margarine is more healthful than butter, but I wouldn't use the CHEMICAL argument.

OMG, chemicals!! I thought they just had molecules in them. :rolleyes:

when I have some heavy cream left over before it goes bad, I just put it in the food processor and run the cutting blade for several minutes and watch it turn from whipped cream (white) to butter (yellow) and then press out the butter milk (water) and pack it in a serving dish. No other ingredients needed or used. Now that's the real stuff.

when I have some heavy cream left over before it goes bad, I just put it in the food processor and run the cutting blade for several minutes and watch it turn from whipped cream (white) to butter (yellow) and then press out the butter milk (water) and pack it in a serving dish. No other ingredients needed or used. Now that's the real stuff.

Ah yes, you triggered a memory. This is how we also had butter growing up. Unhomogenized ilk would get delivered to the house every day in glass bottle with a bulbous neck. Our mother would pour off the top cream in that bulbous part and we would drink the resulting skim milk.

Then she would whip the cream in the mixmaster until as you describe the butter curds would form and then we would take turns pressing the water out with a fork and then spread it into a fancy wooden butter mold --- and add a dash of salt (!) for preservation.

I also remember squeezing that pliable bag of white stuff with the big yellow eye of food color in it to make "butter" (aka margarine) after the War. (WWII). Somehow this was valued because it was "modern" but we didn't use much of it because we always had our homemade butter.

When I was small we had a jersey cow that gave wonderfully rich milk. We made butter using either a hand-crank churn or one with the plunger that you worked up and down. This stuff was absolutely wonderful. It would have been dangerous, perhaps fatal, to put it on top of your head.

My mother made biscuits every morning and we would slather them with this butter. Unbelievably good. And speaking of delicacies, why doesn't HAL serve biscuits at breakfast every morning? They could sure make a lot of us southerners happy.

Archived