Butter on HAL?

Sugar's Mom

It is much easier to sprinkle a little salt (as I do) on a pat of unsalted butter, than to remove the salt from salted butter for those whose dietary requirements prefer unsalted butter. Similarly, I never down rate the chef who chooses to season to LESS than my taste, as I can easily add additional seasoning, but the hapless cruiser who cannot or does not tolerate the additional salt/pepper/etc. is left out.

Someday, those of us who enjoy air without the addition of tobacco smoke, will be given the same consideration.

My favorite every morning is putting butter on a sugar donut. Try it you will love it. Looking forward to April 23rd, my first breakfast aboard the Zuiderdam. Marvin

Lucky you, we thought the main dining room food on the Zuiderdam was the best we have had on a HAL ship so far. Later reports keep confirming this so I hope you have the same good fortune as crews change.

The Vista ship powder sugar donuts were worth the climb up the stairs every morning, but sadly have not found them later on the smaller ships. Do think butter on them would have been gilding the lily though.:rolleyes: But, hey it is your vacation and this is the time to get it all just the way you want.

I LOVE real European butter and am hoping, but not counting, it is on our Med cruise! We lived overseas several years ago and noticed a difference in taste between regular US and European butters. Please don't burst my bubble until I get on board, if they are using US brands. Our taste buds (no flames if you don't agree - just taste) have been looking forward to real, EU butter. We've tried the various imports to the US, and while they are very good, they don't quite match what we picked up from the corner store in Europe.

Fingers crossed for good EU butter on our Med cruise. We are going to have a fantastic trip thanks to all the great advice on these boards.

Than you,

Netta7

Oh wow I have NEVER had unsalted butter. But then again us Kiwis are notorious for our dairy products. Could be interesting lol.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

Unsalted butter is readily available in NZ supermarkets, check at your nearest New World or Countdown, it is usually slightly more expensive than the salted butter.

Hi Erewhon, Yes I know it is available but I have just never felt the need to use it. I am afraid I like my butter salty!!! Very bad but hey am willing to try almost anything on holiday.

Mind you on saying that I don't intend to try witchetty grubs ever again.

For me, the unsalted butter on HAL is one of the things I dream about -- it is so much nicer than anything we can get at home. Have tried every variety of unsalted/sweet butter available to me, and none of it compares. The stuff on HAL seems to me to be much richer, a much nicer feel and taste than anything I can find here.

CowPrincess, can you find Lactancia Plus? Might want to try it.

Canuck - if you're a woman struggling with a low carb diet, don't beat yourself up. Men lose faster on this one.

Not a very "cruise" post. Sorry.

My favorite every morning is putting butter on a sugar donut. Try it you will love it.
Ever try buttered toasted doughnuts? Great! You need a plain doughnut to toast it of course. (Slice it like a bagel.) You want it toasted just enough to make it a little "crunchy" on the edges. Eat while still hot. Mmmmmmmmmm. :cool:

Ever try buttered toasted doughnuts? Great! You need a plain doughnut to toast it of course. (Slice it like a bagel.) You want it toasted just enough to make it a little "crunchy" on the edges. Eat while still hot. Mmmmmmmmmm. :cool:

Now, that sounds sinful, John! Yummy is all I can say!

Thinking about it, it is correct...all high end restaurants serve unsalted butter.

The reason better chefs prefer unsalted butter is they get to control the salt as an add-on rather, than a built-in flavoring component. Not because the unsalted butter is 'better"; it just allows more precision in over-all flavor control. I believe originally salt was added to control rancidity, particularly when there was no refrigeration.

For me, the unsalted butter on HAL is one of the things I dream about -- it is so much nicer than anything we can get at home. Have tried every variety of unsalted/sweet butter available to me, and none of it compares. The stuff on HAL seems to me to be much richer, a much nicer feel and taste than anything I can find here.

Can you buy New Zealand butter where you live? Try it for a treat.;)

Unsalted butter is one of the few items on HAL cruises that we find disappointing.

Being from the South, we like our Grits .. and they do a really great job cooking them. The only problem is, when one puts butter on them, it just aint right ... so we have to ply it with salt. Not quite them same even though the theoretical chemistry is same.

I suppose we are just use to salted butter - Land 'aLakes that we buy in mass quantities at home.

harry

Judging by what most people seem to be eating on cruises, trying to cut down on calories by serving unsalted butter so the bread won't taste so good is ludicrous.

And, besides, if you want to cut down on bread by making it less palatable, just ask for veggiemite.

Judging by what most people seem to be eating on cruises, trying to cut down on calories by serving unsalted butter so the bread won't taste so good is ludicrous.

And, besides, if you want to cut down on bread by making it less palatable, just ask for veggiemite.

Snicker :p, but you just dissed the inflight meal I once had on Ethiopian Airlines flying from Addis Adaba to Cairo. Marmite sandwich, crusts delicately removed and three pieces of fruit cocktail with a lot of syrup. Memorable.

(Duplicate post)

That is right - the salt was added as a preservative - on the farm we didn't have refrigeration and without the salt the butter would not have lasted long.

One one cruise the unsalted butter actually went moldy - I guess they didn't refrigerate it properly.

i'll try almost anything once. veggemite is one of the nastiest things i ever put in my mouth.

In Florida, the largest food store recently created equal shelf space for salted and unsalted butter. One time, when they first did this, I accidentally bought a pound of unsalted butter :eek: (same major brand, box is colored slightly different). I used it up by putting salt on all four sides of each stick as I unwraped them.:p

BTW I have not ever noticed any imported butter in any grocery stores here.

Do we have some sort of CC record here -- 1228 hits about HAL butter? :p Almost as many as Meenakshi gets in the Madaurai Hindu temple.

No kidding, right? I came in yesterday to answer and the post had already been responded to. To my surprise, I came in tonight and it had 50 responses. I thought... wow, 50 responses about is the butter salted or unsalted. These people really CAN debate anything!

I keep clicking on the thread thinking it's title is "HAL Butlers" as I kept questioning whether or not HAL had butlers on their ships to assist suite guests like on some other lines. Imagine my surprise when I start reading and it comes to "salted or unsalted."

I guess I need to increase the text size or get better glasses :)

Archived