Butter on HAL?

Sugar's Mom

It is real butter and while I use salted at home, i didn't notice much difference to be honest - there is probably so much salt in the food, etc that they do it for healthy reasons. Don't put the salt on it until you have tasted it - seriously, it's quite good :)

For me, the unsalted butter on HAL is one of the things I dream about -- it is so much nicer than anything we can get at home. Have tried every variety of unsalted/sweet butter available to me, and none of it compares. The stuff on HAL seems to me to be much richer, a much nicer feel and taste than anything I can find here.

We liked the butter on the Oosterdam - didn't notice that it was unsalted. When faced with unsalted butter for our bread and notice it we resort to sprinkling a little salt from the salt shaker - easy as that. Never been too concerned anywhere.

My preference is unsalted butter...that's what I buy at home...so I'm perfectly content with the choice on HAL... the manager at our BJ's has told us that, at least in the store I shop in, unsalted way outsells salted butter.

Okay, Kazu & CowPrincess - I won't pass judgment yet....:D I am dreaming of rolls, buns, bread.....I am trying to do "no carbs" - it is a killer.:eek:

Canuck

Good luck with the "no carbs". For me, the butter on HAL is SO GOOD, the biggest reason I eat bread onboard HAL is for "butter delivery" :D

Good luck with the "no carbs". For me, the butter on HAL is SO GOOD, the biggest reason I eat bread onboard HAL is for "butter delivery" :D

Thanks, CowPrincess - I will need it. The older I get - the tougher it is to lose...I have to diet now so I can eat all that bread on the ship.:D

Canuck

The unsalted butter and the excellent HAL fresh baked breads is my idea of foodie heaven. I look forward to this combo with every cruise. I suspect one can easily ask for salted butter. On the Oosterdam our cabin was down a hallway that faintly exhausted the bread baking smells outside one of the hallway's blank doors. We would just stand there and sniff a bit for the sheer pleasure of that wonderful aroma.

My cardiologist would not approve, but we did not notice the butter was unsalted. At least it was butter! :rolleyes: Many places now serve " non-dairy items" which are probably much worse for people than butter (NCL?).

We had a friend who thought the butter in a restaurant in Mexico was so much better than hers she asked the waiter where they got it. He went to the kitchen and came back and said "It's Shedd Spred, we buy it in Weslaco, Texas".

I might wonder about the butter in Mexico, however, although I've eaten a lot of it..[/color]

We use unsalted butter at home and think the unsalted butter on the ship is way better - don't know how they get more flavour in it but they do.

Canuck - good luck on the "no carbs" am doing that too and I miss the bread! A neighbor lost 30 lb in one month but that is too much I think.

I will take butter any day over manufactured spreads! but of course I grew up with home churned butter.......

Julia Child's who lived well well into her 90's was known for saying: if you don't like butter, use cream. She also said: all things in moderation, including moderation. And finally: everything tastes better with enough butter.:p

In August 2010, for the first time on HAL, I was used USA specification butter. (It was a real dairy product as always, but I didn't notice if it contained salt or not.)

On past trips, the butter has always been Western European spec, meaning it had a higher fat content and lower water content. The Euro style butter was always a huge treat and made the fresh made rolls even better.

I think I ate less bread with the change to American butter; it just wasn't as special or delicious anymore. Oh well, it is a healthier change, I suppose.

Julia Child's who lived well well into her 90's was known for saying: if you don't like butter, use cream. She also said: all things in moderation, including moderation. And finally: everything tastes better with enough butter.:p

julia was a brilliant lady.

In August 2010, for the first time on HAL, I was used USA specification butter. (It was a real dairy product as always, but I didn't notice if it contained salt or not.)

On past trips, the butter has always been Western European spec, meaning it had a higher fat content and lower water content. The Euro style butter was always a huge treat and made the fresh made rolls even better.

I think I ate less bread with the change to American butter; it just wasn't as special or delicious anymore. Oh well, it is a healthier change, I suppose.

I was going to post that the butter on HAL is from the Netherlands. But now that I think of it, I haven't checked the Lido butter for the last year or so. Of course, the dining room has butter pats so it is impossible to check that.

In any case it is unsalted and I always add a sprinkle of salt.

Tablemates sometimes are horrified and have told me that "real" butter is unsalted. To me, the butter isn't right until a little salt gets on it.

........ Oh well, it is a healthier change, I suppose.

No, no real proof of this when used in moderation. Keep up with the current medical studies producing facts, not marketing myths about "cholesterol".

You are right, it is the "stiffer" higher fat plugra European butter that makes those fresh baked bread rolls sing on HAL ships. And probably the secret to their very excellent, flaky, tender croissants as well. You can buy this type of butter in the US - Trader Joe carried plugra (plus gras - more fat) butter as well as the "organic" markets.

Archived