700 am ship arrival 830 flight at fort lauderdale too close of time

surf324mi

is this cutting it too close or would it be possible to make a 830 flight if the ruby arrives 700 am

I believe they suggest no flight earlier than 1030 & don't see how you could do it even if everything went perfect getting to FLL.

Just because the ships arrival time is 7:00 AM, that does not mean you will be getting off the ship at that time, and then you will have cutoms and Immigration to go through and also find your luggage and a taxi. I have seen some make a 9:30 flight before, but usually by the skin on their teeth (so to speak) if they make it to the airport in time. 8:30 AM, NO WAY!

On the CB 3 years ago, the ship docked at 7, we didn't have immigration in Port Everglades, we did walk off with our own luggage, grabbed a taxi so we didn't have to wait for shuttle, and we were clear at security at the airport at 830. So, no way would we have made an 830 flight. The only possible thing we could have done to speed it up was to be in the dining room even earlier to be further up the line to get off the ship. Other than that, I think we had everything working as well as it could. We had a noon hour flight booked, and managed to get on the 930 on standby.

8:30 AM, NO WAY!
Absolutely no way. The ship arrives at the pier at 7am, it needs to be tied up, the gangway put into position, the port officials board and then clear everyone on the ship, and then you have to disembark, line up for and go through Immigration, get a taxi, go to the airport, check in, go through Security, and get to your gate. If you're not checked in by 30 minutes before your flight, your airline could re-assign your seats to stand-bys. Some airlines won't take luggage if you check in later than an hour before your flight.

FLL can be a zoo... I've been there when it's taken 30 minutes to check in outside (inside was at least an hour) and another 30 minutes to get through Security. I've also been on quite a few cruises arriving in FLL where the local officials haven't cleared the ship for disembarkation until well after 9am. People were crying, begging to get off the ship but you won't be able to until the ship is cleared.

Have people made an 8:30am flight? Very probably, but they were taking a huge gamble and most likely had Plan B in place.

is this cutting it too close or would it be possible to make a 830 flight if the ruby arrives 700 am

Good Answer...doubt it in a million years.

The ship's scheduled arrival time is 0700 but in actuality she'll probably be tied up alongside by 0530.

Just because she arrives at 0700 doesn't guarantee that the ship will be cleared by Homeland Security, Customs etc by that time. In fact it is not uncommon for "Gov't Officials" to show up late thus delaying the disembarkation process.

Even 10am is pushing the limit to catch a flight albeit others have seen it happen...the success rate is somewhat scarce. Remember ya gotta do checkin, go thru security, etc etc and checkin at least 45-60 minutes prior for a domestic flight depending on which airport. Ya gotta be at the gate NLT 30 mins prior to departure which means 0800. That gives you one hour to disembark, clear Homeland Security and Customs, retrieve baggage, find a taxi, travel to FLL, checkin (as per the above), go thru the security lineup and proceed to the gate all in one hour, and all that depending on a precise 0700 departure off the ship.

Why give yourself such a headache after a relaxing cruise? Just book a flight about 11am to noon.

Ciao for now!!!

I have heard of living life in the fast lane....but that is much too fast. Many people have given you very good reasons not to try it. Good people, with good advice they are.;)

Don't put your lovely cruise vacation in a panic at the end.

Another problem that no one has mentioned it the number of ships in port that morning...this could really slow things down...there are only so many shuttles/cabs available even if you are first off the ship and carry all your own luggage.

With all the security and such at the airport 9:30 is even pushing it.

Good luck

If you have disembarked from a ship in the past or flown in the last 10 years then I would think you already know the answer to your question, but in the event that you haven't done so then I think that the majority opinion would emphatically be that what you are proposing is a recipe for disaster.

If you make that flight I would also buy a lottery ticket.:D

I'd say if they make that flight to not bother with a lottery ticket as all their luck would have been used up LOL.

As much as I admire your efforts, I personally think this is an absoultely insane idea!

I personally don't plan a flight any earlier than noon after disembarking. I think they recommend no earlier than 1030, but I just don't like to take those types of chances.

My advice would be to plan a later flight, sleep in a little, get to the airport with no stress and relax with a book or your laptop or something. You return home will be much less stressful if you not worried about whether or not you'll even make it home at all that day.

Archived