Hotels Closest to NYC Port?

kicker

Considering a cruise out of NYC - Carnival Glory in August. I believe its the Manhattan Terminal?

I've tried searching on here, and it gets confusing because when CC'ers talk about hotels being close to ports, you sometimes can't tell if they mean Manhattan, Brooklyn or New Jersey.

We also might arrive by train, so anything reasonable between the port and Penn Station would work.

All answers will be appreciated. Thanks.

Carnival sails out of the Manhattan terminal, so you probably want to be in Manhattan. What exact date do you need a room? NY hotels are expensive, so the issue in NYC is usually a combination of cost and location. What is your hotel budget? At the right price any Manhattan hotel in midtown or downtown would probably be OK, but midtown would be closer to the port, which is on the Hudson River (12th Ave) in the west 50's.

We usually cruise out of NY because we do not have to fly. We take the train in from Niagara Falls Canada.

We usually stay at the Skyline which is only 3 blocks from the dock and it is all downhill.

You might want to give it a try.

Enjoy your cruise.

Thanks to both of you for your responses.

August for dates, and I looked at Skyline. Price is important, but I'm also not going to settle for a one-star property!

We're 5-6 hrs from the city, but that's give us options of driving, plane, or train. A train would get us there same day around 1PM, but having a night in NY would add to the trip and give us a more flexible schedule.

We'll see what others have to say.

Thanks to both of you for your responses.

August for dates, and I looked at Skyline. Price is important, but I'm also not going to settle for a one-star property!

We're 5-6 hrs from the city, but that's give us options of driving, plane, or train. A train would get us there same day around 1PM, but having a night in NY would add to the trip and give us a more flexible schedule.

We'll see what others have to say.

I haven't stayed there, but I also haven't seen anything that would indicated it was a "one star" hotel. It generally gets pretty decent reviews on Trip Advisor.

Another reasonably priced hotel near the cruise terminal is the Travel Inn, and it has a benefit you'll find at no other hotel in Manhattan...free parking while you're staying there.

Some have reported here that they stay at the Holiday Inn on West 57th St., which is also close to the port and usually reasonably priced for New York City.

If you're driving you could stay in any number of NJ towns that would be an hour or shorter drive to the port...Parsippany, Secaucus, Edison, Elizabeth (Newark Airport area) for example.

I haven't stayed there, but I also haven't seen anything that would indicated it was a "one star" hotel. It generally gets pretty decent reviews on Trip Advisor.

Another reasonably priced hotel near the cruise terminal is the Travel Inn, and it has a benefit you'll find at no other hotel in Manhattan...free parking while you're staying there.

Didn't mean to imply the Skyline was one-star! Nope, Skyline looks nice and I'll consider it. I had googled hotels near Penn Station and came up with a list which had several one-star locations (I think Skyline was a 2 or 2 1/2). I tend to rely on Trip Advisor and, especially, CC'ers who have always proved helpful.

Looking back at my post I could see why someone would think I was referring to the Skyline as one-star. Sorry! Def not the case!

Didn't mean to imply the Skyline was one-star! Nope, Skyline looks nice and I'll consider it. I had googled hotels near Penn Station and came up with a list which had several one-star locations (I think Skyline was a 2 or 2 1/2). I tend to rely on Trip Advisor and, especially, CC'ers who have always proved helpful.

Looking back at my post I could see why someone would think I was referring to the Skyline as one-star. Sorry! Def not the case!

OK...if you back and look at my post again I've since edited it to include some other ideas...Travel Inn, Holiday Inn, hotels in nearby NJ towns.

Depending on your date in August, you might get a really good deal on a nice hotel through Hotwire or Priceline. Still a bit early for that, so a good strategy might be to book a cancellable room and watch the prices on Hotwire or Priceline for a 3*+ hotel.

You can also look at the Carnival webpage and note the hotels they use. Look at the price, and then probably book the same property yourself much cheaper. I know that NCL uses the Holiday Inn on West 57th Street. It is three blocks from the pier. Do you need parking, because parking is extra and very expensive.

I am leaving from NYC in May and we are staying at the Hampton Inn Madison Square Garden. It is just renovated (renovations were Jan-Mar), have GREAT reviews on Trip Advisor, and we got a decent advance purchase price. We are also arriving into Penn Station, and it is less than a block from Penn and about $10 taxi ride to the pier. Good luck with whatever you decide!

All the hotels listed have pretty good reviews on Trip Advisor. We would most likely arrive by train or plane - that could make a difference in where we stay (I've had good luck with a Holiday Inn Express near JFK).

We're at 2 different short Carnival cruises that both leave on Monday. My thought was arrive Sunday, see a Broadway show, then cruise. However, it seems most shows are matinees only on Sunday, and that doesn't fit our schedule. Still, it'd be nice to have a relaxing night before cruising.

Priceline, etc: probably a good way to go, but only if we wait til the dates get closer.

We usually cruise out of NY because we do not have to fly. We take the train in from Niagara Falls Canada.

We usually stay at the Skyline which is only 3 blocks from the dock and it is all downhill.

You might want to give it a try.

Enjoy your cruise.

? Train from Niagara Falls...could you please tell me more...I am trying any way possible to find a cheaper way to get to NYC and am not really a big fan of busy airports. We are just outside of Toronto, and would be interested in hearing about this transportation to NYC!!!

? Train from Niagara Falls...could you please tell me more...I am trying any way possible to find a cheaper way to get to NYC and am not really a big fan of busy airports. We are just outside of Toronto, and would be interested in hearing about this transportation to NYC!!!

I'm closest to Syracuse, NY; we have family in Albany. We can train to NYC for $115 roundtrip from Cuse, $76 from Albany.

You can get Amtrak in Niagara Falls US and Canada. Looks like (it might depend on when you're traveling), a roundtrip ticket would cost you $140 to $160. I should add, there are also various discounts available (10% off AAA members, % off for over age 62, etc.). I also found a code for Carnival and NCL that offers 20% off your fare (I think you have to book the cruise first).

Check out Amtrak's site for more info. Hope that helps.

All Broadway shows have matinees on Saturdays also. Which show are you looking at? If you want a matinee on a Monday, then no that would not be possible. Many shows are closed on Mondays.

All the hotels listed have pretty good reviews on Trip Advisor. We would most likely arrive by train or plane - that could make a difference in where we stay (I've had good luck with a Holiday Inn Express near JFK).

We're at 2 different short Carnival cruises that both leave on Monday. My thought was arrive Sunday, see a Broadway show, then cruise. However, it seems most shows are matinees only on Sunday, and that doesn't fit our schedule. Still, it'd be nice to have a relaxing night before cruising.

Priceline, etc: probably a good way to go, but only if we wait til the dates get closer.

I'm closest to Syracuse, NY; we have family in Albany. We can train to NYC for $115 roundtrip from Cuse, $76 from Albany.

You can get Amtrak in Niagara Falls US and Canada. Looks like (it might depend on when you're traveling), a roundtrip ticket would cost you $140 to $160. I should add, there are also various discounts available (10% off AAA members, % off for over age 62, etc.). I also found a code for Carnival and NCL that offers 20% off your fare (I think you have to book the cruise first).

Check out Amtrak's site for more info. Hope that helps.

Thanks for this information!! Where might I find out about discounts? We are booked 9/11 to Bermuda on Miracle. Any discount will do!!! I looked at Amtrak and will cost us about $262 one way for both of us from Toronto. Still a whole lot cheaper than flying...however we are thinking of flying back on 19/11 just to get home faster! Thanks again for any information anyone can give me!

Thanks for this information!! Where might I find out about discounts? We are booked 9/11 to Bermuda on Miracle. Any discount will do!!! I looked at Amtrak and will cost us about $262 one way for both of us from Toronto. Still a whole lot cheaper than flying...however we are thinking of flying back on 19/11 just to get home faster! Thanks again for any information anyone can give me!

Got this by googling Amtrak Discount Codes. Not sure if Lake Shore Limited is what you'd need (its restricted on this list), but worth checking out.

line.jpg

Amtrak Promotion Code Discounts & Amtrak Coupon Codes

CRUISE PASSENGERS - Save 20% (or 15% on sleeper accommodations) to port cities

•  

Amtrak Coupon Codes: V639 (Norwegian), V555 (Carnival), V107 (Holland America)

Expiration: Book by December 27, 2011. Travel by December 31, 2011.

Amtrak Trains/Routes: Valid on all routes except Acela Express, Auto Train, Illinois Zephyr, Kansas City Mule, Keystone Service, Lake Shore Limited, Lincoln Service, Missouri River Runner, St. Louis Mule & Canada service.

Additional Terms: Valid only in conjunction with a Carnival Cruise Lines, Norwegian Cruise Line, or Holland America Line cruise itinerary for arrival at the port city at least one day prior to cruise departure. Valid for adult and child coach fares, business class, and sleeper accommodations. Code may only be used by phone: 800-USA-RAIL.
    Advance Purchase Requirement: Three day advance ticket purchase required.

In the past I know that there were discount codes for Amtrak travel when booked in conjunction with a cruise on Carnival and Norwegian. You might want to search a bit online, or contact the cruise line, the railroad, or your travel agent for the deals.

Do note that the train from Toronto to New York is operated by Via Rail Canada between Toronto and Niagara Falls, and by Amtrak between Niagara Falls and New York. It is an all-day train ride, so you will need to arrange for an overnight in New York City before cruising the next day. If you're looking to save on a hotel, there's a very early morning train out of Niagara Falls, N.Y. (departing 3:50 a.m.) that is scheduled to arrive in New York, N.Y. before 1:00 p.m.

Archived