Tell Me About the Piano Bar on Westerdam!!

RobbieCruises

Is the piano bar on the Westerdam good?  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Is the piano bar on the Westerdam good?

• I've been there! Good entertainment, fun atmosphere
    • There's revolving talent; it's uneven
    • He/she isn't much good
    • It's fair but not great

I love piano bars but was on the Oosterdam a couple weeks ago and there just wasn't really a piano player (one there, but he wouldn't play. Just talked, talked, talked . . . )

Can any one tell me about the Westerdam? We sail a week from Sunday (the 20th). Is there a good piano player? Is the piano bar fun and popular?

I really need a good piano bar fix and everyone in my group loves to do this!!

When I was on the OOsterdam last November, there was a great guy in the piano bar -- Steve was his name. We went there almost every night. He wasnot on the O last time I heard.

I heard there is a good one on the Zui.

I hope so, as I intend to spend a lot of time in there when we cruise 5/14.

In January Steve Lowenthal was the pianist in the piano bar on the Westerdam. He was OK but not great IMO. Others thought he was great but I found the selection and execution spotty.

Now..could Steve Lowenthal be the same "Steve" that was on Oceanwench's 'O' cruise and she thought was great...quite possibly.

You can never tell for sure how good an experience will be based on another's opinion. EXPECT to have a good time and you likely will.

We were on the Westerdam in December. We enjoyed Steve Lowenthal very much. He was genial, welcoming and had a quirky sense of humor. He was a master of obscure Broadway tunes and lyrics from recent to decades past. He quickly learned the favorite songs/shows of the regulars and made sure to play them each evening. Often segued into similar songs or shows he thought we might also enjoy.

We always got a nod when we arrived and a cheery "Good Night, see you tomorrow" when we left. We also met him on deck one afternoon and found him a very pleasant conversationalist. I am no judge of talent in a pianist, but I believe he was proficient, his music was very enjoyable. He had a terrific memory for trivia and a great personality for interacting with his audience.

• 3 months later...
There was a Piano Bar on the Maasdam in Nov - and the player was reputed to be excellent.

Please! Name him. I love a good (operative word) Piano Bar and am always on the lookout for the name of someone with good reviews.

Really can't vote.

The piano players can change very quickly.

For example, the woman we had on the Oosterdam in Feb/Mar of 2004 ended up on our May cruise on the Maasdam. And from reading the above posts, by November a man was playing on the Maasdam.

Don't know how long some of their contracts are.

Ruth,

I know you love the piano bar. Are they always smoky or is there an area that is not quite so bad. We love listening to the music but cannot abide too much smoke. I have just read that the Maasdam's Piano bar was very smoky last November and wondering if that is true of all the ships.

Jennie

Ruth,

I know you love the piano bar. Are they always smoky or is there an area that is not quite so bad. We love listening to the music but cannot abide too much smoke. I have just read that the Maasdam's Piano bar was very smoky last November and wondering if that is true of all the ships.

Jennie

It depends on the configuration. On the Zaandam, the only smoking section was a booth and two tables near the bar, behind the piano--the entire rest of the room was non-smoking....they all have designated smoking and non-smoking, but I assume it depends on how many smokers are in there at the same time.

Jennie, the S-class ships have a Piano Bar, not a Piano Lounge like the R-class ships. (e.g. the Zaandam)

On the Maasdam the room is configured somewhat like a three-leaf clover. The piano is in the right "leaf", and there are barstools around it. That is usually a smoking section, but may not be with some piano players.

The other two "leaves" of the clover are set with cocktail tables and chairs. One is a smoking section, the other is non-smoking.

When I have been on other S-class ships there has not been a problem with smoke drifting over to other areas. IIRC, the report that it's too smoky in the Maasdam's Piano Bar is due to inadequate ventalation. We'll have to wait and see how it is on our cruise. Perhaps there won't be many smokers? Perhaps there will be an industrial-strength smoke eater?

Does anyone have photos of the Piano Bar on the Westerdam? I was disappointed with the decor of the one on the Oosterdam ... it was all silver. Felt like a bar at a Starbase or on the Starship Enterprise.

Archived