Questions about Hawaii circle cruise

sfgiantsmccovey

My husband and I love HAL. We are thinking of taking the Hawaii circle cruise from San Diego. He is wondering how windy it is on the sea days - 4 days each way to the islands & back. Are walks on the promenade still enjoyable? Will the pool cover on the Lido be closed? anyone with experience on this cruise, I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Thanks, and happy HAL cruising.

Don't know when you are planning to go on this cruise. We went on it, and for the 5 days over and the 5 days back it was not pleasant. Rough seas (so rough that one couldn't get out on deck), cold, and windy. This was in early November, and we had friends who did the same cruise a year later, and it was beautiful both over and back. On our cruise, the cover over the pool was closed the entire time until we got to Hawaii.

I would never discourage anyone from taking this cruise, because Hawaii is so beautiful. You, however, were asking for someone's experience! I still feel that it is an area not to be missed, and we just made the best of our days stuck indoors!

In January 2010, the first 2 days out of SD were rough - stormy seas, 25-30' waves. Evidently bumpy seas are the norm and what we experienced was extreme. But the rest of the trip was fairly calm - my DS (adult) took long walks around the lower promenade daily.

My Partner and I cruised to Hawaii in Dec '09. The first two days the seas were really rough

This was because (1) weather (storm) and (2) bucking the Japanese Current, which despite the weather will cause rough seas. After two days the weather really improved and the seas were not so rough.

We are booked on the Oct 22, 2011 sailing on the "O" and looking forward to it.

We did Circle Hawaii in March of 08. It was chilly and windy (with rocky seas) the first two and the last two days. Once we were far enough from San Diego, the days were sunny and warm and the seas were more calm.

This has been our experience as well. We have sailed this itin, twice, and are booked for a third---all in April.

BTW, we had balcony cabins, and we still think they are worth it, even though on those days we didn't use it.

The pools were covered if it got too cold, otherwise they remained uncovered.

We love, love this itin. :)

Pat

I did this cruise in November 02, March 07 and am booked again for April 11. The day and a half to two days nearest San Diego are somewhat rough but the rest of the days more than make up for them. The cover on the Lido has opened on my trips and the Promenade has usually been walkable.

Let us know what you decide!

We have taken two cruises from the west coast to Hawaii and back so far and are booked on the Oosterdam in February 2012 for the Circle Hawaii cruise. The first we took was on X and the second on Princess. We blogged during both of them and you can read about them on these links. (They are very detailed and lots of photos).

http://thegeomonkeys.com/category/hawaii-2009/

http://thegeomonkeys.com/category/hawaii-2010/

The weather and seas are different every cruise. As you will see from the videos and photos we took on the 2009 cruise, our roughest seas were the day we left Hawaii. Go figure!

We love to know we are at sea and enjoy the movement of the ship, no matter how rough it is. The reason we love this particular cruise is all of the sea days. Hawaii is just a bonus.

Enjoy

i did the repositioning version of the circle hawaii cruise--depart san diego, finish vancouver-- in april, 2009.

as on any open-ocean cruise the conditions are variable. don't let a few comments of rough sea days and some rain dissuade you.

i had great weather from SD, no major wave issues and plenty of sunshine. we had a decent wave day and some rain on the way to vancouver, but nothing that would make me advise someone against these cruises.

Hi;

Will be on Oosterdam Hawaii @ Mexico 21 night cruise October 22 noticed you had been to Hawaii in early November. You said the sea was ruff looks by pictures of others windy as well the first couple days San Diego cruising to HI and the last 2 days cruising back to SD what were the temperatures like?

Was there any rain in HI on your November cruise?

Thank you

Hugh / hsb5956

First there is no japanese current off the california coast it is called the pacific current resulting from the pacific high. Strange as it seems the Japanese current lies off the coast of Japan and rotates clockwise as does our Pacific current.....

Now consider you will be heading at a speed of about 20 kts that in still air will result in a 22 mph wind. For the most part you will be on a heading (MAG>) of about 186 drgrees and the wind will be coming from 030 to 060 historicaly. ( depending on the pacific high location) so tha that will cancel some of the wind When you get below Lat 25 degrees you will have wind from 070- 090 so that will reduce the air movement to about 12 to 15 kts. because there you hit the transequatorial influence and trade winds ( also the trans tropic convergent zone).

There is a scientific approach ... go get a "pilot chart" used by ships. It has the pacific all divided up in to grid squares and shows the direction and speed of the ocean current and winds for every month of the year as aan average ( wind roses they call them) It is just simple math to calculate the potential. I used to do ocean navigation for Navy Destroyers... and my own sail boat.

Its not rocket science... sort of fun You can get pilot charts form any nautical supply company, for any place in the world. If your are really into it there is a book " sailing routes of the world that gives suggested courses and routes for ships going form anywhere to any place... Like Seattle to Manila, etc It also describes the historical weather each month.... Excellent reference for a cruise question

That said, the trip is normaly very nice and of course you will always hit some squalls along the way bit seas are seldom over 15 ft and quite enjoyable The closer to land you get ( San Diego) the ocean will shoal up because of the reduction in depts... April and May and October are the best months to Hawaii and in Hawaii.

It generaly rains here every day for some place and duration except for July to August.... and it is normal for short duration squalls to happen at sea... just because of eveporation and temps.....

Just enjoy the journey it will be like no other.

The discovery of islands by sea rather than airplane is both romantic and exciting The 5 days of anticipation to arrive make the destination all the more sweet. The return 5 days gives time to pause and appreciate that which you experienced.

Air travel to islands is sad because it robs you of some of the true special molments in your life.... it make you slow down, and smell the roses;)

Thanks so much for the scientific /marine explanation of current.

That being explained still looking for some thoughts on potential temperature the first couple days at sea in mid to late October San Diego - Hawaii

Thanks to all for the input & Smooth Sailings To All

I have done this trip twice on the zaandam. Once was RT from San Diego in March and the other was a repositioning. The first two days out were windy and approx 55 - 60 degrees and the same with the last two days back but It was O.K. to walk on Deck.

The weather was warmer in October but the Seas rough the first two days out. Leaving Hawaii it was warm but the seas were high. the last two days were smooth but cooler.

It is an awesome trip! I just got off the Ooesterdam. I know there has been mixed reviews on this ship but I thought the service was great. Hawaii will be a great trip on the Ooesterdam.

Thanks Like Traveling:)

So comfortable on deck but may need sweater or light windbreaker or layers first 2 days at sea and last 2 on return HI. Evenings will be fairly cool maybe even a bit chilly the first 2 nights at sea.

It would be great to only have to pack for warm weather verses some of everything on one of my trips sometime. HAHA :)

I am sort of spoiled did a TA on Star Clipper Las Palmas - St Maarten this past October had perfect weather and sailing conditions. Now wanting to cross the Pacific which this cruise will achieve also will be my first extended cruise 21 nights MX & HI plus first HAL cruise. Sort of trying to do the bucket list of cruising experiences.

Smooth Sailings,

Hugh / hsb5956

I have done this cruise twice and would do it again "in a heart-beat," as the old saying goes. The first time I did it in November of 2005, it was a little rough the first full day at Sea but after that it was nice. I did it again in 2008 and the first day out was really rough. Glases were breaking and the ship was rocking. Every day got a lot better and the dayes in Hawaii were beautifu.. Coming back it was cool and cloudy on the last two days back and on the last day we had some fog.

Here's a recap of last year's Hawaii cruise on Princess (October 13 - 27, 2010) from the log they gave us on the last day...

14... 65.3, gentle breeze

15... 69.8, gentle breeze

16... 72.5, gentle breeze

17... 82.8, moderate breeze

18... 78.8, gentle breeze, Hilo

19... 83.3, light airs, Honloulu

20... 83.3, moderate breeze, Nawiliwili

21... 79.7, gentle breeze, Lahaina

22... 77.5, gentle breeze

23... 77.0, moderate breeze

24... 70.7, moderate breeze

25... 70.7, fresh breeze

26... 70.0, light breeze, Ensenada

sailing to Hawaii is only about 2200 nautical miles... its about another 3600 more to go for across the pacific

I suggest one of 2 great trips if you want to do the circle hawaii trip.

Sydney or Singapore to LA 36 day one way Bali, Sydney, Tasmania, New zealand, Fiji, Cook Islands, Bora Bora, Moorea, Taiti, Marquseas

or LA to LA 35 days LA-marquesa..tahiti..moorea..bora..christmas isl,

Hawaii, Maui, Kauai, LA

both have 3 to 7 days at a time but the discovery of the pacific via ship beats it all. I would save for that November is the best month for either of these trips

Greetings Hawaiidan;

Looked into the 2 itineraries you suggested they sound awesome but economically being a solo traveler it get's a bit steep for my finances any trip more then 3 weeks. Plus need to see how I do with a 21 day at cruise before I do an extended cruise. This past year took a 2 week Asia cruise Costa Hong Kong, Taiwan, 4 stops in Japan ended up in Shanghai then spent 2 weeks in China on my own Shanghai and Beijing. I found out that the last week of the trip got sort of tiring and slowed down my pace had seen to many temples and had done to many tours. Maybe doing a whole extended trip 30 days via a cruise would make it easier and more doable. One of these days will try it. If the economy would turn around some other wise I would have not travel the next year to pull it off.

I love days at sea did last year as well okay I splurged 2 major cruises but can not do it as a norm did Star Clipper sailed on 180 passenger sailing clipper ship TA Las Palmas - St Maarten 13 nights at sea after day 3 no land till day 15 perfect weather under sail a lot only 1 1/2 days of wet weather no major roll or rock or waves just 120 - 130 of us great conversations. So a longer cruise with more sea is up my ally love it.

If interested here is the link to my sailing TA on Star Clipper photo presentation

:http://www.photoshow.com/watch/qt6eW4qi

Smooth Sailings,

HSB5956 / Hugh

Archived