St Petersburg and a teenager sightseeing advice.

We will be in St Petersburg in Aug on RCCL Jewel of the Seas. We are travelling with our 14yr old son. While we realize this is a trip of a lifetime, the thoughts of hours in a museum or church doesn't sound great to any of us. What would you consider a must do itinerary if we were to go with our own tour company? We were thinking of doing RCCL's Peterhof/hydrofoil tour on our 2nd day and the evening river cruise as well. It's in St Petersburg we don't know to do our own thing or go with RCCL planned tour. Thanks for your advice.

Hmmm. From my perspective, I think you might want to reconsider and do a collection of the major attractions that most people do. Most 2-day itineraries do 6-8 different stops at a variety of places and include some driving around (most of the sites are not right beside each other), some walking around outside, some museums, some palaces, eating at a couple restaurants, some churches, in a subway, in a boat on the canal, etc. But you can easily set this up so that no one place takes much more than an hour or two. I felt like I got a wide variety of stuff including driving thru the city streets, which I found fascinating to look all around. Some of the things you will see are so grand and unique, that I think it would be a shame to not see them. I never felt like I was in one type of place for too long.

you will get much more flexibility if you go with a private tour group,there are several recommended regularly on these boards

contact each one,mention your interests especially your 14 year old and see what they come back with.You will soon get a feel for which ones are tuned into your wavelength and which ones will merely quote you their standard itinery

Lyn

With a private guide and driver, you can pretty much set up any itinerary that would appeal to you. Be sure that they are aware that you are with a cruise, as a special license is required without a visa.

As for must sees, that is up to you. The major museum and palace is the Hermitage, consisting of 3 palaces containing vast collections of art and royal possessions. That would be a must see on any list, but for you, maybe not. It is not a short walk through. It is vast and in the summer, it is crowded.

Peterhof is a large palace and grounds, similar to Versailles in France. The grounds are beautiful and more of a nature walk than a church or museum. I think you can gain admission to the grounds without going into the palace. The Peter and Paul fortress is where Peter the Great started building the city. The church contains the remains of many of the tsars of Russian history, and I think all of the Romanovs, including that of the last tsar and his family, Nicholas and Alexandra. Time wise, it is minuscule compared the vast art collections. The Church of the Spilled Blood built where Alexander II was assassinated is interesting, and again, not really all that time consuming. There is a nice park nearby.

But, again, a private guide can take you where you want to go and what you want to do. Aside from the historic sites, churches, and museums, if you are not interested in that, I would suggest you just get to know this part of Russia. Stroll (Nevsky Prospekt is the main boulevard in St. Petersburg, and is fascinating to just walk down at least part of it), people watch, shop, eat some Russian food, whatever it is you like and more can be done in St. Petersburg and the surrounding areas. I sense that you are not interested in history, but would still suggest that you study a little of Peter the Great, the Russian revolution, and the siege of Leningrad (St. Petersburg) during WWII.

To help you decide :

The Fountains of Peterhof

The Catherine Palace at Pushkin

Peter and Paul Fortress/Cathedral

St Isaac's Cathedral

Church of Our Saviour on the Spilled Blood

The Winter Palace/Hermitage State Museum

I hope you all have a great time, Tony

We will be in St Petersburg in Aug on RCCL Jewel of the Seas. We are travelling with our 14yr old son. While we realize this is a trip of a lifetime, the thoughts of hours in a museum or church doesn't sound great to any of us. What would you consider a must do itinerary if we were to go with our own tour company? We were thinking of doing RCCL's Peterhof/hydrofoil tour on our 2nd day and the evening river cruise as well. It's in St Petersburg we don't know to do our own thing or go with RCCL planned tour. Thanks for your advice.

Elaine

A couple of pieces of very good advice.

First, do NOT do that RCCL planned tour. With any one of the Independent tours you can at least set up some sort of schedule and view the things YOU might find more interesting. With any ship's tour, their only concern is if you see what was promised. They couldn't care less if you had a grand time doing it. With any independent tour, they basically insist you have a grand time, so you will come back to CC and tell everyone what a great time you had with this tour company. And another thing, say it is raining on day one with a forecast of nice weather on day two. Many of the tour companies will alter their schedule to try and get you to the outdoor things on a day with nicer weather and try and do the indoor things on a bad weather day. They can adjust any scheduled to meet any unforseen circumstances, something no ships tour will ever do.

My second point is, yes you want to make this trip interesting for your 14 yr old son, but do NOT do it at the expense of you not seeing what you want to see also. I hear of many people who try and cater to the kids and then fail to really enjoy themselves also. You should sit down and try and plan it out for what everyone would like to see and then, if you decide to go with an independent group, ask their opinions also.

As for what a teenager would like. I guess it depends on the child. Is he into historical things, because St Petersburg is alive in history. Some of it isn't boring either. The Hermitage, even if you do not like art, it is much more than that, but nothing wrong with exposing teens to some of the worlds great masterpieces. Places like Peterhof, everyone jsut seems to enjoy, and touring Catherine's Place, while not as exciting as some things, it is awe inspiring and many teens like it.

Here are a few pics to help you see how things are

At Catherine's Palace you serenaded by a Russian band, which everyone seems to enjoy

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe671.jpg

Just viewing the fountains at Peterhof are great, and then you will get to wander around the grounds

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe730.jpg

Try and include the Canal Boat tour on your itinerary. It is a treat for all ages

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe774.jpg

The hydro foil ride from peterhof is also a treat, for young AND old

http://s834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/?action=view&current=europemaster843.mp4

In Yusupov's Palace you can see the actual room where Rasputin was murdered

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe883.jpg

(all kids like these things)

In the Hermitage you can view art works like this self portrait of Rembrant

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe960.jpg

And if art isn't your thing, spend some time with the Mummies

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europemaster962.jpg

Again, any tour group will cater to YOUR needs and desires, not so with any ship's tour.

Cheers

Len

I have followed this thread, just because I am fascinated with St. Petersburg. There are some excellent responses. I enjoyed the video links, and thanks for that.

My thought now, is that the OP does not so much as acknowledge you. I am sorry I even bothered. But thanks to those who responded.

One more message to the OP: just stay on the boat.

We took our 15 year old son on a 2 day tour with a private company, we had 13 on the bus and he had a fantastic time.

At peterhof they have these fountains that are triggeres by sensors and he ran them to try and beat them and got wet of course but not too bad

On the canal tour he got an entire sofa to himself

He had a great time with the people on the bus that made him feel part of the group

He got to see lots of things he never would have expected to see and really enjoyed himself

Sorry James to insult you. My life is very busy(main caregiver for my 82yr old mom, work, husband, teenage son etc etc). I very much appreciate the suggestions made. Again appologies to all for not responding quickly. I have taken the advice posted and am in the process of contacting several tour operators. Have only heard back from White Nights. Hopefully others will respond soon.

We went with our 17 and 13 year olds. We did a private tour company, on one of their 'group' tours, which was limited to 20 people. It was perfect for both of our kids--and us. Our tour happened to have families, which made it a very good experience.

I definitely second Tiggertastic, our 13-year-old son's favorite place was the gardens of Peterhof with the triggered fountains. He got wet and loved it! The fountains are all gravity-fed, not pumped, which our 17-year old found fascinating. Our son also liked Yusopov Palace, with Rasputin's murder scene in the basement.

On the two-day tour, you don't spend too much time in any one place. We were only in the Hermitage for about an hour, so it wasn't too overwhelming. The subway was a nice change of pace, as was the canal tour. We were also popular both days at our lunch stops when both kids were served a vodka shot and champagne, and we had to get rid of them somehow....

Thank You. I can see my son running through the fountains and getting wet....thanks for the warning. Last year at Niagara Falls he was the only one on the Maid of the Mist ride without a rain Poncho...he was soaked!!! Do you remember the name of your Tour Operator?

AGAIN, THANKS TO ALL.

Sorry James to insult you. My life is very busy(main caregiver for my 82yr old mom, work, husband, teenage son etc etc). I very much appreciate the suggestions made. Again appologies to all for not responding quickly. I have taken the advice posted and am in the process of contacting several tour operators. Have only heard back from White Nights. Hopefully others will respond soon.

I am sorry for jumping the gun.

I have followed this thread, just because I am fascinated with St. Petersburg. There are some excellent responses. I enjoyed the video links, and thanks for that.

Thanks. Same-style videos for my other ports of call on that cruise - Copenhagen, Tallinn, Helsinki/Suomenlinna (2) & Stockholm/Vasa (2) can be found from this http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1277047

I am going to post the link on my roll call. The commentary is very helpful. My favorite is Suomenlinna.

Thanks. Same-style videos for my other ports of call on that cruise - Copenhagen, Tallinn, Helsinki/Suomenlinna (2) & Stockholm/Vasa (2) can be found from this http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1277047

I am very sorry to hear this. Have you contacted SPB Tours, run by Viktoria??> I have enver heard of her not responding the very next day. I have recommended many people to this tour group. We used them, and everyone else who used them, have come back gushing with praise for them. The main reason we chose them was the immediate and personal responses we got from Viktoria. She just won us over with great customer service. If you haven't contacted them, as of yet, you should do so. Also check with the roll call for your ship and see what others are doing.

Cheers

Len

We had a fast paced 2 day active tour with SPB last year. We had a young guide named Eugene who spoke perfect English and related beautifuly to Americans. We had 4 young 20ish people, no teens and 4 older adults. Ask for Eugene if you choose SPB. Have the teens attend shipboard presentations on St. Petersburg so he knows some of the history. The story of the last Romanoff's and the revolution is pretty interesting. Ask to see Yusopov palace, where Rasputin was killed. The fountains, grounds at Peterhof were very interesting, as was the Empress bath house on the grounds. We had a ride on the Russian subway, lunches at 2 types of restaurants with Eugene helping us choose from the menu. Everything was fast paced, cannot imagine the teens will be bored. Many other sights and activities in 2 days, I won't list all of them. Our time in the Hermitage was limited to 2 hours, which was enough for our group and probably is enough for your teen.

Hi Elaine,

While visiting Hermitage your son may want to spend more time in Knight Room and go to Peter and Paul fortress to see the jail ( and may be the torture chamber). it also can be a fun time for a family to walk over the fortress wall.

I really hope he will appreciate the beauty of Peterhoff, especially going there by the hydrofoil.

Alexia

Archived