5 nights no sleep on Radiance 3/5-3/10 + terrible response

hfh

You got compensation once because you called guest service once.

Now that you are off the ship you complain about nights 2, 3, and 4. $150 for your one complaint is fair, I don't think you should get anymore since you made it sound like everything was ok after the first night by not callng guest services again.

Sorry

Not only did I call guest services more then once if you read my original post, you try not sleeping for 5 nights and think that $150 is fair. I hope it never happens to you:eek:

I agree you should be compensated generously. However, I think you should have complained as it happened, every time. I also would have spoken to someone during the day to make sure they realized how inconvenienced you were. Unfortunately, since you didn't complain, there is no record on the ship that you were inconvenienced.

I did complain while I was on the ship no one was listening!!!!

You got compensation once because you called guest service once.

Now that you are off the ship you complain about nights 2, 3, and 4. $150 for your one complaint is fair, I don't think you should get anymore since you made it sound like everything was ok after the first night by not callng guest services again.

Sorry

Not only did I call guest services more then once if you read my original post, you try not sleeping for 5 nights and think that $150 is fair. I hope it never happens to you:eek:

I agree you should be compensated generously. However, I think you should have complained as it happened, every time. I also would have spoken to someone during the day to make sure they realized how inconvenienced you were. Unfortunately, since you didn't complain, there is no record on the ship that you were inconvenienced.

I did complain while we were on the ship. Obviously no one was listening. My last call on the 5th night was at 4am:mad:

Not only did I complain more then once but my last call was at 4am on the last night. If you think compensation for one night is good enough then I hope you never lose 5 nights of sleep

I'm really surprised by this. Is this only for Amex? Visa/MC Merchant merchant agreements would seem to disagree with this practice, and I would think Amex would also have that contingency (that you must accept any valid Visa or MC branded card as a payment choice--there is no option to not accept because of a previous chargeback). I was just wondering where this information originated?

Cruise Critic member, Merion Mom and Cruise Critic member, the lion. :)

Yes, it happened to me, and thelion backed me up that this is standard operating procedure at Royal Caribbean. (I have no idea if it happens on other cruiselines).

Royal Caribbean told me this.

Since I disputed a charge with American Express, and they found in my favor, RC has "blacklisted" that card. RC admits that the entire mess which led to my disputing the charge was their fault, but they will not just accept that card any more.

I can fill out paperwork each time, and then they will take it, but I can't just use it without the paperwork.

I have, indeed, successfully done this since the original occurrence.

I think it might have happened to firefighterhoop too, although he never said what the issue was. It could have been name confusion or something else.

Sorry, I have freakishly, selective memory. :)

Yes, it happened to me, and thelion backed me up that this is standard operating procedure at Royal Caribbean. (I have no idea if it happens on other cruiselines).

Royal Caribbean told me this.

Since I disputed a charge with American Express, and they found in my favor, RC has "blacklisted" that card. RC admits that the entire mess which led to my disputing the charge was their fault, but they will not just accept that card any more.

I can fill out paperwork each time, and then they will take it, but I can't just use it without the paperwork.

I have, indeed, successfully done this since the original occurrence.

So why not change the card number? and what paperwork do you fill out?..Yes, I M nosy......

Well, I think I've done everything I can. I condensed my letter to 3/4 of a page and stuck to the one single fact. I've e-mailed everyone from Adam Goldstein,President on down and sent out letters certified AGAIN!!! When told by "Ashley Reycroft from web cruise comments (she is the only one I have heard from so far) "I am concerned to learn of the unexpected noise you experienced in your stateroom." My response was "Obviously it wasn't unexpected when they leave you a note every day telling you it's going to happen between the hours of 2am and 4am when you are sleeping" :mad:

I told them that $150 was not enough compensation and I expected more for the lack of 5 nights of sleep. I not only faxed over pages and pages to AMEX but I also mailed it out overnight delivery. All this mail has probably cost me close to $60 but I'm betting on the fact that they definitely know my name by now. So, hopefully RCCL will do the right thing and make a happy customer out of my husband and myself.:D

Well, I think I've done everything I can. I condensed my letter to 3/4 of a page and stuck to the one single fact. I've e-mailed everyone from Adam Goldstein,President on down and sent out letters certified AGAIN!!! When told by "Ashley Reycroft from web cruise comments (she is the only one I have heard from so far) "I am concerned to learn of the unexpected noise you experienced in your stateroom." My response was "Obviously it wasn't unexpected when they leave you a note every day telling you it's going to happen between the hours of 2am and 4am when you are sleeping" :mad:

I told them that $150 was not enough compensation and I expected more for the lack of 5 nights of sleep. I not only faxed over pages and pages to AMEX but I also mailed it out overnight delivery. All this mail has probably cost me close to $60 but I'm betting on the fact that they definitely know my name by now. So, hopefully RCCL will do the right thing and make a happy customer out of my husband and myself.:D

There is a risk that this much persistence will make them want to right you off as a trouble-maker, rather than give you more compensation. They almost certainly won't do anything in response to your letters now that there is a dispute initiated with AmEx.

Everything in life has it's risks and the people who have responded on this board have taken both sides. Some said to rewrite the letter and some said as yourself now that I've taken it up with AMEX, I'll get nothing. No one really knows what will happen. It's a choice that I had to make and you take your chance. But to sit back and do nothing, well, let's just say that is not my style. I will go down fighting till the bitter end. I have nothing to lose and everything to gain. It all comes down to everyones opinion anyway. You make your own choices and you live with them. I chose in the long run to do it this way. IMO. Thank you.;)

Oh, I understand. It's done now, and you can't easily undo it. I just think the dispute with AmEx was a bad move. But now that it's done and a dispute is pending, they're not likely to deal directly with you in terms of any compensation.

We did an 11 night Mex Riv cruise in late 2009 on Radiance....center hump, deck 9. Our room flooded twice and for the last few days, our toilet wouldn't flush. We had to live with those loud floor fans.

We did the Radiance again this past November and had no problems, but our neighbors had brown water one day.

Hopefully this is a problem that will be corrected in the dry dock.

I think that this ship has issues that cannot be repaired. Back in 2004 when we were on the Navigator, we were looking to book the Radiance and the LA on board told us to stay away from that ship due to the plumbing issues. So even back that far the Radiance has had issues.

OP, I wish you luck on getting this issue handled.:)

Well after reading all your posts and suggestions I decided that money talks and b.s. walks. As an American Express card holder they have always been very good to me when I have made a dispute. I called them last night and told them what happened. They are disputing the entire charge and I'm sending them all my letters and proof of mailing them certified and the letter that I got back saying that $150 in compensation was enough. I can't change what I wrote to all those people, what was done was done. I agree my letters should have been more to the point and next time, if there is a next time I will certainly know better. But in the meantime I'll try every avenue I can to get some kind of compensation since $150 is absolutely ridiculous.

thanks again:)

Life is a continuous learning experience.

Fall 2009 we were in cabin 9092 and it was a very noisy cabin. Loved the location. Felt like we were going to slide right off the ship there was so much banging noises. I felt like every bolt, nut and screw were coming loose. No one cared from guest services. There were no other open cabins on the cruise.

I never asked for anything compensation wise but it did affect my sleep. Maintenance came up and checked the noise for 2 minutes and of course it was not bad then. They documented no considerable noise heard and that report was read back to me from Guest Services.

It seems like the Radiance has had its issues with plumbing and such.

Good luck to you.

Laura

Well, just got a note from RCCL they have offered us $500 toward another cruise good until March of next year. I think it's a fair gesture and I'm going to take them up on their offer and cancel my complaint with Amex.:)

Well, just got a note from RCCL they have offered us $500 toward another cruise good until March of next year. I think it's a fair gesture and I'm going to take them up on their offer and cancel my complaint with Amex.:)

Good for you! I hope you have a great time on your next cruise.:)

Interesting post - Just a personal note and please don’t take it the wrong way-

I literally live down the street from the Port Of Miami and my morning runs sometimes takes me onto the Port Of Miami. Last month while running on the Port by RCCL headquarter’s building which is also located on the Port Of Miami, I saw the mailman parked outside the rear of the RCCL building and noticed him carrying in numerous plastic boxes of mail into RCCL, literally 1000’s of pieces of mail. I just wonder out of those 1000's of pieces of mail RCCL gets everyday, just how many are complaint letters ?:)

Good resolution. Enjoy that cruise!

May I suggest the Jewel? She will be doing the same routes that Radiance has now, but she is a newer version, without any of those problems. (as far as I know!)

:)

So why not change the card number? and what paperwork do you fill out?..Yes, I M nosy......

I do not know what you mean by "charge the card number". I am not going to have AMEX issue me a new card. They don't just change numbers because you ask for it.

The forms are standard TA forms for the use of a charge card.

Good resolution. Enjoy that cruise!

May I suggest the Jewel? She will be doing the same routes that Radiance has now, but she is a newer version, without any of those problems. (as far as I know!)

:)

Tired of the Western looking to do something else but thank you:)

Interesting post - Just a personal note and please don’t take it the wrong way-

I literally live down the street from the Port Of Miami and my morning runs sometimes takes me onto the Port Of Miami. Last month while running on the Port by RCCL headquarter’s building which is also located on the Port Of Miami, I saw the mailman parked outside the rear of the RCCL building and noticed him carrying in numerous plastic boxes of mail into RCCL, literally 1000’s of pieces of mail. I just wonder out of those 1000's of pieces of mail RCCL gets everyday, just how many are complaint letters ?:)

LOL - probably all of them:D

Glad u have received decent compensation, its just bad PR for RCCL though that they cldn't have done this before u had to start a campaign to get it, IMO anyway..

Regardless - please enjoy your next cruise! :)

I wld like to know which cabin u were in as I haven't seen that mentioned anywhere?

Thanks & best of luck on future cruises :)

Wonderful...glad you are satisfied, enjoy your future cruise.

Archived