Coffee Card now $31?

love2bonboard

I am getting ready for our cruise in two months and have come to realize I have lost my coffee card. I have used that coffee card over and over again for brewed coffee only (don't drink specialty coffee). So, I looked online at Princess and noticed the coffee card is now $31.00. Bummer. I sure wish they would offer brewed coffee for free. Now I have to buy a 15 punch card for brewed coffee...hope I don't lose it this time. Last time I let the people I met at the bar take one of my "punches" so I had it down to only a couple of punches left, but I just wanted the brewed coffee, so anyway....the price has jumped again!

Can someone confirm this $5.00 increase?

If Princess is watching...please offer a brewed coffee card!

My guess would be this is due to all the people buying cards to scam the free coffee cruise after cruise, its kinda like what goes around comes around. Especially when these types of scams are glorified here over and over I figured it would only be a matter of time before prices were increased to cover this abuse. I know you will reply that the free coffee is part of the deal, blah, blah blah but Princess didn't intend for people to use the same card over and over for 100 cups of coffee though I do agree that they should serve real coffee for free but its thier business decision not to so when they find abuse they adjust pricing accordingly, basic Business 101.

My guess would be this is due to all the people buying cards to scam the free coffee cruise after cruise, its kinda like what goes around comes around. Especially when these types of scams are glorified here over and over I figured it would only be a matter of time before prices were increased to cover this abuse. I know you will reply that the free coffee is part of the deal, blah, blah blah but Princess didn't intend for people to use the same card over and over for 100 cups of coffee though I do agree that they should serve real coffee for free but its thier business decision not to so when they find abuse they adjust pricing accordingly, basic Business 101.

Wow - I actually think it's more to do with the rising price of coffee beans :rolleyes:

I just got off the Star. The coffee card was still the same price; $27.60 including gratuity. However, on the Sea, Sun and Dawn they are in fact $31 (our friends are currently on that), since they are dealing in Australian dollars.

I just got off the Star. The coffee card was still the same price; $27.60 including gratuity. However, on the Sea, Sun and Dawn they are in fact $31 (our friends are currently on that), since they are dealing in Australian dollars.

Website is showing $31 to order, so it might have just changed.

That too. But as I mentioned on another thread, Princess did mention in some shareholder materials they will be 'reviewing' the coffee card program vis-a-vis free brewed coffee.

Personally I think they should offer free brewed but only in your own mug. (A large part of the cost of coffee in your local convenience store is actually the labor, cups and condiments. For a 20 oz cup of coffee, the cup itself costs more than the coffee...)

Wow - I actually think it's more to do with the rising price of coffee beans :rolleyes:

While it does look like the price has risen from $26 to $31 for pre-ordered cards, I don't know if this is a very recent price increase or a difference between shipboard costs and pre-ordered costs. The bucket of beer pre-ordered is listed at $23.25, and just last week we paid $20.70 (inc. tip) onboard for the same thing. I guess we will have to find someone who next purchases a coffee card onboard to post. And perhaps a bucket of beer purchaser next week.

So would you also "suppose" that when the bean prices come down the price will drop? Somehow I doubt that.

of course not, but does anything else? in BC i'm still paying the tequila prices for when there was an Agave shortage years ago. It's still a good deal compared to Starbucks.

While it does look like the price has risen from $26 to $31 for pre-ordered cards, I don't know if this is a very recent price increase or a difference between shipboard costs and pre-ordered costs. The bucket of beer pre-ordered is listed at $23.25, and just last week we paid $20.70 (inc. tip) onboard for the same thing. I guess we will have to find someone who next purchases a coffee card onboard to post. And perhaps a bucket of beer purchaser next week.

I preordered my coffee card on Feb 4th and it was $26 so there's definitely been a change to the website, I just don't know when.

I preordered my coffee card on Feb 4th and it was $26 so there's definitely been a change to the website, I just don't know when.
I agree that your experience shows the website has changed at least as of today. (Sometime after your purchase a few weeks ago and sometime before today.) But Pia's onboard experience three days ago shows it is still $26 onboard with tax (in US dollars), and my experience 13 days ago shows the same thing with beer buckets. So we will have to wait for someone to purchase one of these items onboard after today to see if the onboard prices also change or if this is limited to the website pre-purchased items.

of course not, but does anything else? in BC i'm still paying the tequila prices for when there was an Agave shortage years ago. It's still a good deal compared to Starbucks.

No wonder you're getting ripped off, buying your tequila in Starbucks!!!!!

Off the Ruby on 3/13 and coffee card had a special promo to it of a free coffee cup with each purchase. I didn't purchase one so I can't actually confirm the price, but maybe the price increase will now include the cup whether you want it or not. It used to be an additional $6. It is a nice cup as I purchased one quite some time ago and I usually take it along on cruises. :p

scam A fraudulent business scheme; a swindle.

tr.v. scammed, scam·ming, scams To defraud; swindle.

There is no scam...it is the policy set forth by Princess. There is no "abuse" or "scam", when someone pays for a product with clearly defined terms. If Princess decides those terms are not beneficial or profitable, then they can change them, but don't tell people who buy a product and use it as allowed, that they are scamming the system...they are not.

I was also wondering how long it would take Princess to catch on. Apparantly they have.....

Bob

There is no scam...it is the policy set forth by Princess. There is no "abuse" or "scam", when someone pays for a product with clearly defined terms. If Princess decides those terms are not beneficial or profitable, then they can change them, but don't tell people who buy a product and use it as allowed, that they are scamming the system...they are not.

I'm not to sure of that since many people continue to use the same card for year after year to get unlimited free brewed coffee. It looks like they're raised their prices to cover the losses.

I wouldn't say scam per se, more like taking advantage of a loophole in the rules. Unless Princess closes it, its a fair play. And since Princess can't get most policy consistent, the easier option is to just raise the price to perceived value...

scam A fraudulent business scheme; a swindle.

tr.v. scammed, scam·ming, scams To defraud; swindle.

where on the website do you buy the coffee card, also what about a soda card? also never been on princess before, where can you get brewed coffee? if i purchase my card thru website, where do i pick up my mug, or do i just get a sticker at check in for my seapass card? i'll be on the diamond princess in a few months.

where on the website do you buy the coffee card, also what about a soda card? also never been on princess before, where can you get brewed coffee? if i purchase my card thru website, where do i pick up my mug, or do i just get a sticker at check in for my seapass card? i'll be on the diamond princess in a few months.

On the princess website you will see in the lower right a big ad for brochures, next to it is a list of "additional information", you will see the link for "gifts & services". You can get brewed coffee at the plaza bar. You can just buy your card there when you get on the ship vs. paying it in advanced.

I wouldn't say scam per se, more like taking advantage of a loophole in the rules. Unless Princess closes it, its a fair play. And since Princess can't get most policy consistent, the easier option is to just raise the price to perceived value...

Yes, it is fair play...I still don't think it is taking advantage of anything....you are using a product that you paid for and both parties have accepted the terms.

To me...the comparison w/ scam and fraud is using a coffee card or a soda package and giving it to someone else in your family to use. That is a scam and a fraud. Using a coffee card for the brewed coffee for your own use is not a scam or a fraud. If Princess wants to control the use of the coffee card, then simply make the card usable only during your voyage. I don't think it is taking advantage over anything either....would you say someone who buys a soda package and drinks 20 glasses of soda a day is taking advantage? No, because the person bought the soda card and he is using it as he is allowed to...same with using the coffee card as many times as you want for brewed coffee (which should be offered anyway vs. that syrup junk they try to pass off as coffee :eek:).

Just my opinion. Really all I wanted to express was that the coffee card price has gone up by a substantial amount and hoped that Princess would, in fact, offer a brewed coffee card.

Appreciate all the comments though!

Archived