Dog on Board

msmillie

I can not remember if I posted on this thread or another one about our excursion with said dog in the seat in front of us for a 7 hour tour. However,I would like to mention that the owner did not appear too concerned about the impact of the dog on anyone else. When I realized that the dog was in the seat in front of me I whispered very softly directly into my husband's ear that I hoped my allergies did not start up. The owner turned around and informed me that the dog had hair and not fur and should be no problem for me. I did indeed have some coughing episodes but she never offered to take another seat. Also the dog was held by someone across the aisle for about 20 minutes while said owner was in window seat. I do not know how close the dog needs to be to the owner to be of service to her.

I am glad that someone finally complained in Prime 7 as mentioned on another thread. I am as sympathetic to the needs of the physically and emotionally challenged as the next person however I would expect them to take into account other peoples needs as well.

Dogs shed DANDER (natural shedding of skin, better known as DANDRUFF) and that is the primary source of allergies to both dogs and cats. Saliva is also an allergen.

Not all dogs actually shed dander and some are hypo allergenic. I have a Cairn Terrier (like Toto) and they do not shed. Bischon's also are pretty allergy safe as are poodles and several other breeds.

One of the things I loved about France was seeing dogs everywhere. Unfortunately, not all dog owners ...actually...not all people are considerate of others.

Anthropologists tell us that one of the reason the dog has become so popular as a domestic animal companion is that dogs and humans share have so few common diseases. (Rabies excepted, but we vaccinate our dogs for that.) This is the reason why monkeys are not recommended as animal companions is humans can get so many contagious diseases from them, and vice versa. Of course, dog feces can give humans many diseases by the fecal-oral route, but this is true of all animals, including other humans. And most humans are very careful to keep any feces out away from their mouths. Few humans are allergic to dogs. Fewer than are allergic to peanuts.

While it is not medically dangerous for a dog to drink water from a bowl on the dining table or to have wait staff pet a small dog, it is distasteful to many cruise guests and Regent staff should be trained to prevent and avoid such things.

Again, we will never know if the dog in question was a genuine service dog or not. But no post I have seen here states that the dog did anything to make ill or injure anybody.

Still only bone fide service dogs (such as seizure dogs) should be allowed on cruise ships

As I mentioned before, cruise lines claim they are not subject to ADA, but actually do a pretty good job of complying with it for fear of a court ruling that they are subject to ADA. My wife and I once cruised a mass market line (last time for that), the rooms did not have refrigerators, and my wife needed one to store her injectable MS medicine. We notified the line before the cruise, and a refrigerator was provided.

It is entirely possible that Regent erred on the side of disability accommodation here. But as I said above, we will never know.

I just ventured over here to look for something else and came across this thread.

My mom is visually impaired and uses a Seeing Eye dog. We have probably cruised 20 plus times with a service dog (we have had 2 different dogs). When the dog is working, she is in a harness. Obviously we often draw attention and my mom explains her disability to people. My mom's dog has gone through extensive training to become a Seeing Eye dog and obviously, is very well behaved in public. Her training/education actually cost more then my college degree.

We have been written up in Cruise Travel Magazine about 10 years ago as we were probably some of the first people to cruise with a dog. I think we have probably been cruising 11-12 years with a Seeing Eye guide dog.

As long as a ship docks in a US port, it must abide by ADA regulations as per the Supreme Court ruling from several years ago. There were some exceptions about older ships not having to modify their structural ship to accomodate some disabilities but for the most part, yes, cruise lines have to abide by ADA regulations.

We jump through a lot of hoops in order to get the dog onboard. We usually cruise Princess (but have cruised other lines with my mom's guide dog). We have to send a letter to the cruise line from my mom's doctor explaining what services she provides for my mom, we have to get special paperwork from the vet (often an International Health Certificate) and depending on where we are going, shots and tests. For example - we often get a 3 year rabies shot where we live but many countries require a rabies shot within a year of arriving in port so she often has to get repeat shots. Sometimes we have to send lab work to KState to get special lab reports for certain islands and some islands just won't allow the dog to get off the ship due to quarantene (sp?) laws.

We choose to not go on specific itineraries that will not allow the dog off the ship but some people do. My thinking is if my mom is sick, we will all need to get off the ship. I have friends who do leave their dog onboard and utilize other methods such as a cane when in these ports. My mom is always with her dog so we just pick itineraries where the dog can go to. We also often have to apply for permits in advance for the dog to get off in certain ports (Bahamas is an example).

I am sorry that some of you do not approve of Service Dogs on ships (most on this thread do seem to understand allowing real service dogs on ships). All I can say is that having a disability is far more difficult then most of us can imagine. The difference in my mom's mobility when using a cane and using a Service Guide Dog was like night and day. The guide dog allows her to do much more then she could ever do with just a cane. The dog is not a pet - it is a guide for my mom. For those who do not approve - be very thankful that you are healthy and do not need this type of assistance. Just thinking about going through life (let alone a few hours) with out sight is extremely difficult. FYI - when we are in the dining room, the dog is under the table and barely noticeable (unlike the dog mentioned in previous posts here).

BTW - the Department of Justice recently redefined what a service animal is and it now no longer covers dogs who provide emotional comfort or support. These animals/dogs are no longer protected by ADA.

I don't think many people would object to a true service dog but it seems like the owner here brought a pet disguised as a "service" dog and that's what people have an issue with. We are considering a Regent cruise for next winter and this thread actually stopped us from booking one yesterday when I came across this thread. I don't mind being on a cruise with a true service dog but I do object being on a cruise with someone who just wanted their pet with them. Wasn't there an issue in the past few years where someone brought their pet service PIG on a US Air plane because they needed it for anxiety?

There are somethings that just go too far.

I don't think many people would object to a true service dog but it seems like the owner here brought a pet disguised as a "service" dog and that's what people have an issue with. We are considering a Regent cruise for next winter and this thread actually stopped us from booking one yesterday when I came across this thread. I don't mind being on a cruise with a true service dog but I do object being on a cruise with someone who just wanted their pet with them. Wasn't there an issue in the past few years where someone brought their pet service PIG on a US Air plane because they needed it for anxiety?

There are somethings that just go too far.

I think you are right. It is sad that people are doing this as it devalues the use of the term "service dog" or "guide dog". These "true dogs" are very well trained.

And yes, you are right - a pig was on a flight. Pretty pathetic.

I don't think many people would object to a true service dog but it seems like the owner here brought a pet disguised as a "service" dog and that's what people have an issue with. We are considering a Regent cruise for next winter and this thread actually stopped us from booking one yesterday when I came across this thread. I don't mind being on a cruise with a true service dog but I do object being on a cruise with someone who just wanted their pet with them...../QUOTE]

Please don't let this thread stop you from going on Regent. This issue is about ONE dog/owner. I have been with Regent-Radisson for over a decade with hundreds of days and I have only seen this person ONE time. It is not like passengers are overrunning the ship with service animals (or non service animal either). I don't think that I can recall seeing more than 1 or 2 other with service dogs in all those years.

j

Alidor, I agree with JMARINER - please do not let this discussion deter you from booking with Regent. This was our very first Regent cruise and despite this incident (again, my contention is NOT with the dog but with the crass (IMHO) owner(s)) I would book again in a heartbeat (dang kids in college requiring money, lol). We had an absolutely fabulous time and found everything to our liking - the food (glorious food! :) ), the excursions we selected, the staff we interacted with, and the fun-loving folks we met on board. And not having to sign for anything - well that was the best part! :)

Actually, it's me who has the picture of Cookie, T. I ran across it as I was perusing pics to start an album for Facebook. Sadly, I am a bit of a technophobe when it comes to putting pics up on message boards so if some kind soul is willing to walk me through the steps I can see if I can get it posted.

Sadly, I am a bit of a technophobe when it comes to putting pics up on message boards so if some kind soul is willing to walk me through the steps I can see if I can get it posted.

Email me and I will walk you thru it. J

Wow, I cannot believe how many people on board the Mariner were so upset over the presence of a small service dog, how ridiculous and small minded! It is quite clear in Regent's literature that service dogs are allowed on board.

Having got that off my chest, I do have to admit that the "posted" behavior of this lady and her dog was a bit strange, and does not sound to me entirely like service dog behavior. Most service dogs are of course larger dogs that are able to assist their owners with physical handicaps in a variety of every day tasks and also offer great emotional support and confidence (for example to people in wheelchairs that may feel more vulnerable). Service dogs of all types have allowed many people to enjoy a much fuller and complete life. The dogs go through a lot of training (usually about two years) to become certified with thieir owners (the owners also going through training with the dogs). The small dog on the ship could have been a hearing dog, a siezure dog, etc. The dogs are trained extensively in many different locations (often from the time they are very young) including retaurants, malls, trains and buses, schools, grocery stores, etc. Being on board a ship would not be any big deal!

Most service dogs do wear a vest, special harness or collar, etc. to identify them as such 1)so that they are not always stopped from entering the store, etc. and 2) so that other people will not pet them or distract them. Another person should always ask if they may pet a service dog, should not be offended if the Owner does not want them petted while working, and should keep the petting brief. In general, the person with the service dog should be able to enjoy all aspects of the ship exactly the same as everyone else aboard and should not be singled out.

I do find it odd that the little dog on board was carried around (although I am quite unfamiliar with siezure dogs), wore sweaters instead of a working vest, etc. and jumped on a strangers lap. There are always some people (usually rich people used to getting their way that you often find on board the "deluxe" cruise lines) that think the real rules do not apply to them and bend and twist the rules for their own petty purposes. It is considered unethical to "fake" a service dog as this just makes it harder on those that really have certified service dogs that can greatly improve their lives. But people are "unethical" all the time, so if this was the case (I really have no idea), just get over it, enjoy your cruise and do not let one person's bad judgement affect the rest of those with real service dogs.

For the poster that mentioned the girl in the airport: the organization that I worked with for a while trained some dogs for young people that were called by another term other than a true Service Dog. If you could take a moment and imagine yourself with a child that has a mental or physcial problem that sets them apart from other kids and makes their childhood rough and try to imagine how having their own (well behaved) dog with them at all times can make them feel safer, make them more confident, make them more approachable, make them more socialable, etc. Some of these "service" dogs have really changed the lives of some young people.

I know I would much rather be in a dining room with a service dog laying under a table than in a dining room with screaming kids!

I would also rather be in a restaurant with a service dog under the table than in a restaurant with screaming children. "Under the table" is an important part of my last sentence. The dog should not have it's water bowl on the table or be sitting in a chair.

While I understand and agree that service dogs can be tremendous emotional support for challenged children, the ADA no longer covers this type of service dog.

The scenario on the Mariner was obviously outside the boundaries of how a service dog (or it's owner) should act. Not certain what Regent employees could have done about it since she presented them with correct paperwork. Perhaps falsifying documents for service dog should be illegal rather than unethical.

It's not the service dog issue, it's the fact that this appears NOT to be a service dog and just the whim of some spoiled uncaring passengers and Regent's disregard of other passengers in allowing someone who just wanted to bring their pet along.

Actually, we don't know, and will never know if this was a bona fide service dog or a "fake" service dog. Regent won't (and legally can't) reveal the paperwork to us. But in any event, for the future, I think we can be confident that Regent will ensure that a claimed service dog is actually that, whether this one was or not.

I do find it odd that the little dog on board was carried around (although I am quite unfamiliar with siezure dogs), wore sweaters instead of a working vest, etc. and jumped on a strangers lap. There are always some people (usually rich people used to getting their way that you often find on board the "deluxe" cruise lines) that think the real rules do not apply to them and bend and twist the rules for their own petty purposes. It is considered unethical to "fake" a service dog as this just makes it harder on those that really have certified service dogs that can greatly improve their lives. But people are "unethical" all the time, so if this was the case (I really have no idea), just get over it, enjoy your cruise and do not let one person's bad judgement affect the rest of those with real service dogs.

This is the point exactly! I have no problem with service dogs being on a ship. This isn't the first one I have seen. Why I commented was this situation felt different. Imagine if you saw Paris Hilton on a ship with her little dog....she might have a disablity...or she might just think the rules didn't apply to her.

Obviously there is no law saying that service dogs must be marked. My point was an is that if the dog had some sort of coat or collar stating it was a working dog (fake or not) it would have ended speculation. And no I don't assume just because it was on a ship it was a service dog. There are some people who assume the rules are just for us everyday people.

I think that Myley stated the point correctly about the behavior of the dog's owner. It was her apparent lack of caring for anyone but herself that triggered passengers' comments.

The basic nature of a person who behaves that way would certainly not be aware of any other's feelings.

I'm lost in this long thread about what this woman did with the dog that was improper, except that she gave the dog water off the dining table and brought the dog into the dining room. Not that this isn't enough to provoke valid complaints, but did she do anything else improper with the dog?

I'm lost in this long thread about what this woman did with the dog that was improper, except that she gave the dog water off the dining table and brought the dog into the dining room. Not that this isn't enough to provoke valid complaints, but did she do anything else improper with the dog?

Perhaps the fact that it was not recognized as a service dog was the problem.

My solution would have been easy...simply get up and move far away..

Ok, thanks to JMARINER and my DH here's the picture of well, me, and in the background is Cookie and her owner. You can see her tote sitting under the chair. From her looks I'd venture to say Cookie is a poodle or some mix thereof. This is how we most often witnessed Cookie in the dining venues, out of her carrier and sitting in the chair next to or on her owner's lap.

DSCN2159.jpg.c5b8aaf148a0f92e3629f298e5b3241a.jpg

Ok, thanks to JMARINER and my DH here's the picture of well, me, and in the background is Cookie and her owner. You can see her tote sitting under the chair. From her looks I'd venture to say Cookie is a poodle or some mix thereof. This is how we most often witnessed Cookie in the dining venues, out of her carrier and sitting in the chair next to or on her owner's lap.

Myley, I cropped the photo and enhanced it a little bit.

J

1789227148_RSSCDog.jpg.3f683a56bca1e50af181055e5b0e1e3a.jpg

Archived