Think its ok to let your underage child drink on board?

sarahc78

Think again! :eek:

Read this thread from the RCL boards:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1387141

I could not even imagine! Although I would like to think I wouldnt allow my underage child to drink...especially on a cruise ship :confused:

They weren't ejected because he was underage and drinking. They were ejected because of the fight--pure and simple. The underage drinking just added to the issues.

They weren't ejected because he was underage and drinking. They were ejected because of the fight--pure and simple. The underage drinking just added to the issues.

From what I read the parents were ejected for buying him drinks, and the son/friend were removed for fighting :confused:

What you allow your kids to do in your own house is one thing, to allow them to drink in public is another. Anyone allowing their kids to break the law should suffer the consequences.

The other thing is that on a ship, the Captain is the law. His decision based on what he hears is final. Age of majority is one thing and underage drinking is another.

Lastly, there is always two sides to a story.

"If we had known that a 19 and 21 year old were not allowed to drink, we would have signed an age waiver."

Not sure what this statement means... The parents can declare that it's OK for their underage children to consume alcoholic beverages despite the rules/laws?

Thx, Ned

"If we had known that a 19 and 21 year old were not allowed to drink, we would have signed an age waiver."

Not sure what this statement means... The parents can declare that it's OK for their underage children to consume alcoholic beverages despite the rules/laws?

Thx, Ned

I think what the OP in that thread was referring to is the fact that you used to be able to sign a waiver on RCI sailings for your 18-20 yr-old children to drink alcohol onboard, since I believe 18 is the legal drinking age in international waters. RCI discontinued this practice (except, if I'm not mistaken, on European sailings), so the OP was mistaken regardless.

The other thing is that on a ship, the Captain is the law. His decision based on what he hears is final.

I think this is what people forget the most. The laws you are used to, where ever you may be from, do not apply onboard. The lines do some things so they can dock in certain ports, get accredidation, register, etc.; but for the most part, while on board, you cruise contract is your constitution and the Captain is a dictator with nearly supreme power. These ships are not public spaces - by getting on you agree to do what the Captain says - if says jump overboard you say...

I feel like these parents are those that think "this is my vacation I'll do whatever the heck I want" including break the law.

For her to say that swinging at a person without "landing contact" isn't assult - she should probably google the definition of assault as it does not require contact - just imminent fear of bodily injury. And second that she can't locate in her ticket contract where the removal policy is - well maybe she should read it before posting that they can't kick her off a ship for those actions.

Wouldn't you love to hear from the parents of the kids who got assaulted (even though the perp couldn't even land a punch)! Betcha they had some input to the powers that be. I know if it had been my kid that was attacked, the best thing that could have happened for the OP and those kids was that they were removed from the ship. ;)

Seriously, the sad part is that the OP didn't seem to get that they and the kids did wrong, and one wonders what else faces those kids down the road.

Happy Sails to You

OOOEEE :D:D Bob and Phyl

It was their first cruise, and likely their last. Normally, I'd feel bad that we lost potential members of the cruising fraternity, but in this case I'd say good riddance. Anyone takes a swing at me, I'm not about to forgive them for not making contact, nor their parents who think that makes it OK.

I can almost see their point regarding the alcohol. It was their responsibility to know and abide by the rules, but in some places it's legal in restaurants and bars for parents to purchase alcohol for their children-- it is in Wisconsin, or at least the last time I checked. But I assume RCI uses the same system as X, and the 19 year old's seapass (or RCI equivalent) card would show him being under age. This should have given the parents a clue, but not necessarily. If the 19 year old was able to purchase alcohol himself, part of the blame would lie with the staff, but more likely everyone else was buying the drinks, and probably knew darn well that the 19 year old could not.

Maybe they should try Carnival, but I'd think even there they would have been put off the ship.

I wonder if they realize that their post had the opposite effect than they intended-- bravo, RCL!:)

14 pages and counting for a first-post complainer who hasn't come back for a response?! :rolleyes:

I doubt they would come back either after all the negative responses. I know I sure wouldnt lol. Then again I wouldnt let my kids drink on a cruise unless they were of age.

I was going to buy my son a drink with dinner on our next cruise in August. He will be nineteen in June and we are Canadian so it's really not an issue. But I think I will rethink it.:eek: I kinda think the drinking age should be lowered in the states. It really not the drinking that's a problem, it's most likely the kid!:rolleyes:

I was going to buy my son a drink with dinner on our next cruise in August. He will be nineteen in June and we are Canadian so it's really not an issue. But I think I will rethink it.:eek: I kinda think the drinking age should be lowered in the states. It really not the drinking that's a problem, it's most likely the kid!:rolleyes:

The drinking age was lowered to 18 around the time of the Vietnam War. The argument was, if they're old enough to get drafted, fight and die for our county, they're old enough to be able to drink. I still agree with the sentiment, but then the explosion in the number of 18 to 21 year olds being killed in drunk driving accidents (not to mention the innocents that they were taking with them) caused the pendulum to swing back.

I grew up with the 18 year old drinking laws. Many seniors in high school would have the interesting experience of running into some of their teachers while out in the bars and nightclubs and sharing a drink with them. And as I mentioned, a parent could purchase alcohol for their underage children in a bar or restaurant.

I was introduced to social drinking by my family at age fourteen. I was expected to keep myself under control, and as a result I learned my limits and never developed the fascination for alcohol that so many of my peers did.

*shrugs* haven't read the thread yet but I'd have no problem giving my 19 or 20 year old a drink on a cruise. Our drinking age here is 19.

I've always thought the American drinking age was a little crazy. You can go to jail as an adult, go to war, make your own legal decisions and are functionally an adult in every way... but your judgment isn't trusted to have a drink responsibly.

If we're going to treat 20 year olds as kids, they shouldn't be able to enter into legal contracts either.

The reality is that there are different ages of majority for different things. Someone may legally be considered mature enough to drive at 16, but not to marry, for example. 18 to 21 year olds demonstrated graphically that, as a group, they are not mature enough to drink and be trusted not to drive. As I recall, there did seem to be a sharp dropoff in drunk driving fatalities at the age of 21, so that's where the line was reestablished. One could certainly argue that the high fatality rate was the result of ineffective education, not biological maturity, but raising the age back to 21 certainly was an effective solution. By no means perfect, but it saved many lives.

I grew up with the 18 year old drinking laws. Many seniors in high school would have the interesting experience of running into some of their teachers while out in the bars and nightclubs and sharing a drink with them. And as I mentioned, a parent could purchase alcohol for their underage children in a bar or restaurant.

I was introduced to social drinking by my family at age fourteen. I was expected to keep myself under control, and as a result I learned my limits and never developed the fascination for alcohol that so many of my peers did.

Agreed! Here in Canada the drinking age is either 18 or 19, depending on which province you're in. And coming from a French-Canadian household my sisters and I began drinking wine with dinner in our teens. I drink responsibly and have never gotten into a fight, whether under the influence or not. Regardless of the age you are when you drink you should still take responsibility for your actions. The young pair in question seemed to be drinking a large amount of alcohol, including shots. Given their ages they likely don't have the experience and capacity to handle that kind of quantity in a short time frame. They also engaged verbally (and attempted to engage physically) with another group of boys. This is a case of poor judgement by the boys themselves, and by the parents who saw the copious drinking taking place and did nothing to curb it. Who wants to bet similar scenarios to this have happened to them before, perhaps just not in a vacation situation.

*shrugs* haven't read the thread yet but I'd have no problem giving my 19 or 20 year old a drink on a cruise. Our drinking age here is 19.

I've always thought the American drinking age was a little crazy. You can go to jail as an adult, go to war, make your own legal decisions and are functionally an adult in every way... but your judgment isn't trusted to have a drink responsibly.

If we're going to treat 20 year olds as kids, they shouldn't be able to enter into legal contracts either.

I have to completely agree with you, this wasn't a case of "underage" drinking being the problem (disturbing that adults were referred to as 'child) This was a case of immature, childish, probably underachieving young adults acting like jerks; & the parents trying to somehow defend their actions. The rest of the civilized world manages to raise youth that can handle wine/beer from age 16 & upwards without using it as an excuse for their trashy behavior.

Sorry to be so blunt, but you are wrong on this. The drinking age should certainly not be lowered. If enough alcohol is consumed, than even a normally responsible 19 year old losses the ability to make good decisions. This is true in Canada, the US or anywhere.

Sorry to be so blunt, but you are wrong on this. The drinking age should certainly not be lowered. If enough alcohol is consumed, than even a normally responsible 19 year old losses the ability to make good decisions. This is true in Canada, the US or anywhere.

And, if enough alcohol is consumed - a normally responsible 41 year old loses the ability to make good decisions.

Teach your children about responsible drinking, and they will become responsible drinkers. Let them know it's about maturity and responsibility - not age. On other hand, if you choose to treat drinking like it's completely forbidden for them, and fail to honestly approach the subject, then as soon they have chance - they'll be binge drinking away. Some start in junior high, many in senior high, and even more drink in college. They're likely going to do it at some point or another whether you like it or not. The more it's forbidden - the more it's desired. Just like illicit drugs, when the consumption is illegal and therefore forced into the dark - you can't control it or moderate it; and that's when we get the problems.

Personally, I think drinking with one's parents should be allowed by age 18, if not sooner. If that were the case, alcohol would not be this mysterious forbidden thing that only "real" adults are allowed to do. We'd be able to more easily teach our children about the ills and joys of drinking, about drinking in moderation, and to cover them all - about responsible drinking.

And, if enough alcohol is consumed - a normally responsible 41 year old loses the ability to make good decisions.

Teach your children about responsible drinking, and they will become responsible drinkers. Let them know it's about maturity and responsibility - not age. On other hand, if you choose to treat drinking like it's completely forbidden for them, and fail to honestly approach the subject, then as soon they have chance - they'll be binge drinking away. Some start in junior high, many in senior high, and even more drink in college. They're likely going to do it at some point or another whether you like it or not. The more it's forbidden - the more it's desired. Just like illicit drugs, when the consumption is illegal and therefore forced into the dark - you can't control it or moderate it; and that's when we get the problems.

Personally, I think drinking with one's parents should be allowed by age 18, if not sooner. If that were the case, alcohol would not be this mysterious forbidden thing that only "real" adults are allowed to do. We'd be able to more easily teach our children about the ills and joys of drinking, about drinking in moderation, and to cover them all - about responsible drinking.

I totally agree with you! We allowed our son to drink responsibly in high school.....no way were we going to let him go off to university without knowing how his body tolerated alcohol.:eek:

There's no shortage of dissenting opinions on the 21 year age limit to alcohol

60 Minutes did a bit on it

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/02/19/60minutes/main4813571.shtml

MSNBC

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20249460/ns/health-addictions/

As far as the RCI thread about getting tossed off the ship, just a reminder that aggressive behavior what ever the cause will end your cruise faster than almost anything else I can think of.

Deep breath.... puppies and kittens..... puppies and kittens! :p:D

Archived