West Palm Beach to POM

I've done a forum search but posts are pretty old so was hoping for some current opinions. Flying from Seattle, crusing out of Miami - just discovered West Palm Beach airport, which has significantly cheaper flights. Wondering if the tri-rail is a viable option as far as dependability. We'd take a cab to rail station from/to airports.

Thank you, in advance, for your guidance.

I've done a forum search but posts are pretty old so was hoping for some current opinions. Flying from Seattle, crusing out of Miami - just discovered West Palm Beach airport, which has significantly cheaper flights. Wondering if the tri-rail is a viable option as far as dependability. We'd take a cab to rail station from/to airports.

Thank you, in advance, for your guidance.

I will only recommend this if you have hours to spare and you don't have a lot of luggage. It is commuter friendly but not so for those with lots of luggage. It also can have time issues and get held up for lengthy periods of time.

For a few dollars more, you can get a rental car at West Palm Beach for as little as $12.95 with no drop off fee on hotwire or priceline.

I assume you are arriving at least one day before your cruise sails. :confused: Tri-Rail may be cheap and an adventure, but it is not quick! :eek:

If you decide to go the rental car route you can save time and $$ - Alamo has a free shuttle from their MIA facility to/from POM; both Avis and Hertz have downtown Miami locaitons very close ($10 cab ride) to POM and many of the downtown Miami hotels suggested on these boards. :cool:

Good luck! :)

We flew into and out of West Palm Beach for our cruise last week. It was a nice, smaller airport and it saved us about $400 for our family of four.

I can't vouch for Tri-Rail, as we chickened out of doing it with our luggage, but renting a car and driving down to Miami was as easy as pie. We were armed with an iPhone for directions and didn't get lost once. Just turned the wrong direction a time or two. (What can I say - reading maps has never been my strong point. I'm directionally challenged.)

Thank you for all the information. The savings is big - and we'd be doing a red eye from Seattle, still pondering but need to decide soon. We've cruised enough that we've gone from 2 suitcases and 2 carryons to 2 carryons only (!) so having too much luggage on the train won't be much of an issue.

Thank you for all the information. The savings is big - and we'd be doing a red eye from Seattle, still pondering but need to decide soon. We've cruised enough that we've gone from 2 suitcases and 2 carryons to 2 carryons only (!) so having too much luggage on the train won't be much of an issue.

Murphy's Law states that if you try and do the Tri Rail after a redeye, you'll get stuck on it for hours.:D

Good luck with whatever you decide!

Renting a car from West Palm Beach to Miami is easy. I flew down on March 18th from LGA, picked up a car from Dollar Rent A Car and returned it at Miami Airport on Saturday March 19th for my cruise on the Carnival Liberty. The new Rental Car Center at Miami Airport is huge and easy to navigate. I know personally that Alamo, National, Dollar, and Thifty have a free shuttle to the Port Of Miami. I also rented a vehicle for the return trip to West Palm Beach on Saturday, March 26th. The free shuttle also picks you up at the Port Of Miami and takes you to the Rental Car Center at the Miami Airport. Picked up the vehicle at 9:30AM and returned it to West Palm Beach before 12:30PM. Hung out at the airport with my two cousins until our flight on Delta scheduled to leave at 3:50PM was delayed first for a late incoming flight from Detroit which arrived at 3:35PM and then for a broken seat that was repaired by an outside vendor. We didn't leave until 5:10PM for our flight to LGA.

Archived