How many days in Auckland?

Sparky333

We'll be finishing up a 12 nt cruise in Auckland (starts in Sydney). I'm wondering how many days we should plan to spend there to get a nice overview.

With work requirements we won't have the opportunity to stay long so I'm only thinking an extra one day or two on top of the day we disembark. That day will be a Saturday so I'm not sure if things we'll want to see might be closed on Sundays meaning we'd need to consider staying until Tuesday.

Anyone have an opinion? Thanks in advance.

We are doing the reverse but also arriving on a Saturday taking Sunday and departing on Monday. I have found that shops open around 10 till 4pm on Sat. not sure about Sunday but I would think in the Viaduct Bassin they would be open for the tourist trade.

The tours seem to run on Sat. with some like wine tours not on the Sunday. It is holiday time when we are going not sure when you are there but travel info says it is a tourist city that means they cater to them.

We are booking a private tour to Waimoto caves on the Sunday and the tour company did not say anything about it not being open on Sunday.

We'll be finishing up a 12 nt cruise in Auckland (starts in Sydney). I'm wondering how many days we should plan to spend there to get a nice overview.

With work requirements we won't have the opportunity to stay long so I'm only thinking an extra one day or two on top of the day we disembark. That day will be a Saturday so I'm not sure if things we'll want to see might be closed on Sundays meaning we'd need to consider staying until Tuesday.

Anyone have an opinion? Thanks in advance.

Hi, I do not think you will find anything is closed on a Sunday in Auckland. NZ is fairly much 7 day trading and sunday is a big shopping day! What things in particular were you interested in seeing? There are the usual tourist attractions such as the Sky Tower, Kelly Tarlton Underwater World, Auckland Zoo, Rainbows End Theme park and some lovely trips around the harbour and out to Islands - if you want to get out on the water again!

Thanks to all of you for the advice. So it doesn't sound like the fact that it's Sunday will factor in - lots of things will still be open.

I know that the longer the better but because of the vacation time limits at work and time spent in Sydney prior to the cruise we won't have as much time as we'd like to extend in Auckland.

So if we dock on Sat. and get to do see of the recommended that day and Sunday I guess we'll leave on Monday. Unless anyone thinks that's a huge mistake.

Just my .02 but I find more to do in Sydney than Auckland. I really like NZ but Auckland just doesn't do it for me. Perhaps it is because NZ evokes the need to get out and about and as the largest city Auckland is the antithesis of out and about. Auckland itself 2 days as a tourist - Maybe I should stay longer next time :-)

I stayed 3 days and we had lot to do.

Waiheke Island is a must as well as Piha (a day drive over scenic roads up to this wonderful beach). National Maritime Museun and Antartic Center are both very interesting should you are interested in these subjects.

There is also a neat tour you do out to Muriwai Beach to see the wild West Coast and the Gannets.

It also takes in a farm and the Wine District if you want.

A trip over to Devonport on the ferry is great as is a trip on the inner circle bus up to Parnell or Newmarket for some shopping.

Kelly Tarltons Aquarium and then carry on around the waterfront to Mission Bay and St Heliers.

Nice shopping in St Heliers.

Great ideas -- thanks so much!! :)

Sparky, we were 3 days in Auckland in Jan' this year before boarding a cruise.

We hired a car from Hertz cost £42 all in, we went to the Gloworm caves, had a great time, and much cheaper than those tour operators, but there were 4 of us.(2.5hr drive down) circa 110 miles.

Just strolling around the quay area will take up most of 1 day, and it is not to be missed.

And there are loads of ferry trips, at reasonable prices. (thats 3 days)

There seems to be no end to the places you could visit I would say 1 week would not be over the top.

Just in case anyone looking for a place to stay in Auckland, I would highly reccomend The Stadium Waldorf, excellent apartments, very well serviced nice staff, ultra clean and very good value, we got a 2 bed high floor apartment for $129 per night, for four persons. (on the web of course)

Enjoy your stay----ozz1

If at all possible we'll aim for 3 days. Really hate to give Auckland short shrift but asking for anything over 2 weeks off from work is like pulling teeth. With the couple days in Sydney plus travel days plus 12 cruising it'll be impossible to fit as much in as we'd like. We'll have to cut corners this time and plan to go back again. Something to look forward to at least ;)

If not 3 then we'll be very busy for 2 it sounds like!!

Thanks for the great ideas and lodging suggestion.

If at all possible we'll aim for 3 days. Really hate to give Auckland short shrift but asking for anything over 2 weeks off from work is like pulling teeth. With the couple days in Sydney plus travel days plus 12 cruising it'll be impossible to fit as much in as we'd like. We'll have to cut corners this time and plan to go back again. Something to look forward to at least ;)

If not 3 then we'll be very busy for 2 it sounds like!!

Thanks for the great ideas and lodging suggestion.

We have been to Auckland twice and most recently just a couple of months ago. Like any city you could spend there days and not see it all. I don't see a big difference between two or three days so I would not sweat it. If three is a problem just go with the two days and you will see quite a bit.

It's a wonderful city as is so many of the other places in both Australia and New Zealand.

Keith

Has anyone from as they say that neck of the woods taken a side trip to Goat Island for snorkling. Have planned on going to the Glow Worms caves on one day but just read about this in a tour book.

Only have 2 1/2 days. Hard choice since we love the fish.

Has anyone from as they say that neck of the woods taken a side trip to Goat Island for snorkling. Have planned on going to the Glow Worms caves on one day but just read about this in a tour book.

I'd recommend having a chat with Tony and Jenny Enderby, they 'wrote the book' on snorkling at Goat Island - litterally!

Have a look at http://www.discovergoatisland.co.nz/instructors.html

Auckland has plenty of great day trips but the city isn't as vibrant or interesting as Sydney. Waitomo is a great day trip, as are the beaches.

If you come back to NZ then you'll likely fly into Auckland again so get a taste of it for a couple of days this time and come back on your way to see the rest of the country :)

Thanks, I have sent them an email but am not sure I can fit it all in sounds like I should stick to my plan of city and harbour one day and the Glow Worm caves the second day. It is just hard for me to pass up great snorking, just came back from the Galapagos.

Auckland has plenty of great day trips but the city isn't as vibrant or interesting as Sydney. Waitomo is a great day trip, as are the beaches.

If you come back to NZ then you'll likely fly into Auckland again so get a taste of it for a couple of days this time and come back on your way to see the rest of the country :)

We were in Auckland in February. With all do respect we think it is a very vibrant city with lots to do and to see. One can easily spend a few days here with much to enjoy. This was out second time there since 2008 and we look forward to visiting again.

Keith

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi

We have been to Goat Island. Very pretty place, and great for snorkelling. It is actually a marine park, and my son, has snorkelled/dived there many times. There is also a glassbottom boat, very cheap, that goes from the small beach out and around Goat Island. BTW the actual island is within swimming distance. We drove from Auckland for the day, packed a lunch, and had a great time. If you do this suggest on the way back from there, get off the highway and visit some of the coastal towns along the way. Beautiful scenery. Watch out for the firendly ducks on the beach area....they will get into your bags and 'steal' your food. Highly recommend for snorkelling/diving.

Jen

Archived