Whats the deal with a GTY cabin?

RJake1

I know this has been discussed before but I fear I didn't pay much attention when it was. Now that I'm serious about booking a GTY stateroom, I'm wondering a couple of things:

1) Whats the deal? It doesn't seem much (if any) less expensive vs getting an assigned cabin.

2) Are you guaranteed being placed on the same deck or higher than your original GTY selection? Put another way, any chance they would lower you for the same cabin category? Of course, if they upgraded you but on a lower deck that would be perfectly fine. I just wouldn't want the same category cabin on a lower deck.

3) Whats the odds of getting the upgrade? I know thats hard to figure but any first-hand experience would be appreciated.

4) What's the down-side? Whats the risk?

A rule of thumb for booking gty, never book ANYTHING that is lower than what you are willing to stay in. Don't book the lowest grade hoping to get an upgrade, you could be put in that low grade cabin.

The deal that people make is that the booking is less money, and for that you MIGHT get assigned up a grade or two. We booked a BE something category and got assigned a BA ( I might have them switched, whatever the lower was we got the higher).

You are not garunteed to have the same deck higher or lower, just that the grade of cabin will be higher. But it is also a gamble because you never know if you'll be under/near some undesireable area that might have noise. Think late night disco bass coming through your ceiling.

If you are iffy, book and confirm the cabin you want. The odds all depend on what is selling or how the ship is filling up, there is no guarantee with booking a guarantee....;)

One gets a lower price by booking a guarantee in a lower category than otherwise chosen, with the hope of getting upgraded above the gty category. The best way to do that is to book the lowest category (and one that typically only has two or three cabins in that category).

For example, I last booked an inside NN category (4th deck) and ended up on the 9th deck, forward inside on the Pearl.

Getting upgraded out of the general category (ie, getting an ocean view when booking an inside GTY) does not happen often. It would not make sense to book a GTY in one of the highest priced categories in the chosen room type, because you will not likely get a cabin in the next higher type of room.

There are some locations that some people just don't like (ie, way forward)...if that is your case, the GTY is probably too risky. If you have a strong location preference, don't go the GTY route.

Before you book a guarantee cabin, look carefully at the deck plans. Be sure you would be happy in absolutely any cabin in that category or any cabin in a higher category. If you would not care to be in a low deck cabin in that category, do not book a guarantee.

If you are flexible and not pick about cabin location, you may want to give it a shot. I have booked guarantee rooms before. So far, any upgrade I have received have been, in my opinion, minimal. for instance, if I book an ocean view gty i might get a nominally better category of ocean view cabin, but so far not upgrade to a balcony. it could happen, but has not happened to me yet.

If you value a convenient location and a guarantee does not save you money, then stay put.

I frequently book guarantees, I don't care, one bit where my cabin is.

BUT, if you do, then this type of booking is not for you.

Your cabin will be in the cat. or above what you booked. The assignment, can be held until just before boarding. I've had to look up my cabin, with the porter's lists many times. :)

Most of the time, I don't care where the cabin is. Often, we end up with a guarantee on the Lido deck, when we were willing to take any deck. Lido is nice but not worth paying extra for, IMHO. But if they give it away, I'll take it!

Our next cruise we did book a specific cabin. I wanted to be on the port side for our sailaway at NOLA down the Mississippi!

I know this has been discussed before but I fear I didn't pay much attention when it was. Now that I'm serious about booking a GTY stateroom, I'm wondering a couple of things:

1) Whats the deal? It doesn't seem much (if any) less expensive vs getting an assigned cabin.

2) Are you guaranteed being placed on the same deck or higher than your original GTY selection? Put another way, any chance they would lower you for the same cabin category? Of course, if they upgraded you but on a lower deck that would be perfectly fine. I just wouldn't want the same category cabin on a lower deck.

3) Whats the odds of getting the upgrade? I know thats hard to figure but any first-hand experience would be appreciated.

4) What's the down-side? Whats the risk?

I once booked an inside GTY with most of the cabins on the higher decks. Well, got upgraded to a larger cabin, on the lowest deck. This was on HAL. The cabin was huge, and the lower deck didn't matter. (Same deck as the reception deck)

one and only experience with GTY we were assigned a cabin right away the worst i felt deck 4 fwd-STAR for our PC cruise...no way i was going to be in that cabin for 2 weeks...for a few dollars more $10 i believe at the time we went up 6 decks and few months out we got a free OV upgrade on deck 5--WONDERFUL cabin!!; but personally i would NEVER book a GTY again...not worth the few buck$ saved to get a cabin you wouldnt want!!

Archived