Is there a limit on liquor at ships stores?

Bob R.

Thinking of taking a Bermuda cruise and don't know if there are any duty free shops on shore like there are on most of the other islands. I want the liquor to bring home so they can keep it till we debark the ship. And are there any shops on shore?

Thinking of taking a Bermuda cruise and don't know if there are any duty free shops on shore like there are on most of the other islands. I want the liquor to bring home so they can keep it till we debark the ship. And are there any shops on shore?

The subject of your post asks a completely different question. What type of limit do you mean?

Duty free liquor prices in Bermuda are reasonable. If you buy the liquor and carry it out of the store, presumably for consumption on Bermuda, the prices are outrageous. If you buy duty free and allow the store to deliver your purchase to the ship, you get a considerable discount.

I bought Goslings Black Seal Rum :)at Goslings(!) on Front St in Hamilton. (The carry-out price for a 1.75L bottle was about $27, the duty free-price I paid was about $14.) Here's a photo of my purchase (along with the purchases of a few of my shipmates;)) being delivered to our ship just before we left the island.

232323232%7Ffp43372%3Enu%3D3253%3E2%3C7%3E336%3EWSNRCG%3D3436%3B84858327nu0mrj

I hope that no one on this page is insulted by the name of the ship displayed in the photo. It was still a fun cruise!

I ended up just buying two bottles, because that's all that would fit in our luggage - we had to fly home after the cruise. As long as you declare all the liquor you purchase, there probably isn't a limit. It would be up to the customs agent to assess the additional duty when you return to the USA.

US Customs regs limit 1 liter pp of alcohol, beer, rum, vodka, whatever (except rum bought in the USVI). They usually let you slide off a cruise with 2 bottles pp, as most bottles are less than a liter. But can ding you for duty tax if you haul off a lot. I don't think the ship cares how much you buy from them. And I doubt if buying DF in Bermuda the shop would care either.

US Customs regs limit 1 liter pp of alcohol, beer, rum, vodka, whatever (except rum bought in the USVI). They usually let you slide off a cruise with 2 bottles pp, as most bottles are less than a liter. But can ding you for duty tax if you haul off a lot. I don't think the ship cares how much you buy from them. And I doubt if buying DF in Bermuda the shop would care either.

What does US customs charge you for excess alcohol? Say for instance I bring off 4 bottles coming from the Bahamas. The first one, I am assuming is duty free what happens with the other 3?

What does US customs charge you for excess alcohol? Say for instance I bring off 4 bottles coming from the Bahamas. The first one, I am assuming is duty free what happens with the other 3?

I think it's 3% of the declared value assuming your total declared value for everything including the alcohol is over your $800 personal exemption. Maybe all the legal eagles on the board know the exact answer.

Bring back as much as you can carry. We always bring 6-10 bottles home. All you have to pay on the extra bottles is the duty tax. Which is so minimal that after 14 cruises I've never even been asked about paying it when going thru customs.

At approx 3% it's not worth it to customs to slow the deembarkation to collect $3 on $100's worth of purchase.

But....be sure to claim it all on your customs form.

It was so much better when we each, DW and I, could carry the 6 bottle cardboard boxes on the aircraft. Those were the days.:D:rolleyes:

I think it's 3% of the declared value assuming your total declared value for everything including the alcohol is over your $800 personal exemption. Maybe all the legal eagles on the board know the exact answer.

Alcohol has nothing to do with the $800 exemption.

It's a weird formula. Depends on the type. Search the forums for a thread about this a while back. I think Sept. or Oct. I posted some links.

Archived