"Valid Passport"

We are doing a last minute cruise originating in Florida and ending in Florida. I have a concern that my kids passports expire in 2 months. I have their birth certificates. Do you think it will be ok to bring their passports and birth certificates. Not sure we have time to get new ones.

Thanks, just a little worried.

There's no "probably" about it. They will be fine with passports that have 2 months left on them at the time of sailing.

Agreed...the countries the OP will be visiting on this cruise, whether Eastern or Western itinerariy, do NOT require that the passport have additional months on them before expiring.

RCI states that if using a passport that the passport expiration date not occur within 6 months following the voyage termination date. Passports expiring within the next 2 months may not cut it. You'd be better off using the birth certificates and the passport or a government ID of some other kind. Don't rely on the pasport on it's own this time.

There's no "probably" about it. They will be fine with passports that have 2 months left on them at the time of sailing.

Yep, there is no problem in Caribbean using a valid passport up to the last minute...same for getting back into the USA, if it is valid still, you are good.

RCI states that if using a passport that the passport expiration date not occur within 6 months following the voyage termination date. Passports expiring within the next 2 months may not cut it.

Where does RCI state this? Can you provide a link to that information, please?

Why would a passport that still has a couple months left on it not be good? We're sailing in a few weeks and my son's passport expires in October. I've never heard of this, where if your passport will expire soon, it may not be valid. Can someone explain?

Some countries require that a passport be valid for six months after entry to that country. This is not a US requirement, but a requirement of various countries you might visit. It is to prevent you becoming a charge of that country should you become ill etc. It is quite common in Europe.

B.

Some countries require that a passport be valid for six months after entry to that country. This is not a US requirement' date=' but a requirement of various countries you might visit. It is to prevent you becoming a charge of that country should you become ill etc. It is quite common in Europe.

B.[/quote']

That's correct but does not apply to closed loop cruises or most cruises that only involve visits to Caribbean islands. In locations where the six month rule applies it is primarily aimed at travelers who are staying in the country for 24 hours or longer. The poster who indicated that RCI's website says that passports due to expire in less than six month is misreading the language which is a "suggestion" rather than a strict requirement and applies primarily to cruises that involve ports where the six month rule might apply. The OP should have no problem with either the passports or original birth certificates for the cruise in question.:)

So if we're sailing on Oasis on the Western route, we should have no problem?

Nope, none of the countries you are visiting has a requirement that a passport be valid for any amount of time, as already pointed out. Note that this is not US policy or an RC policy, but can be a policy of the governments of the countries that admit you, and none of these countries require it. RC is just giving a blanket warning, because many nations do have such a requirement and best practice is usually to have a passport with valid for at least 6 months just in case, but you just aren't going to go to any of those countries.

A US passport is valid for re-entry into the US right up until the day it expires.

Check with your State DMV here in NYS we have an enhanced drivers license which is much cheaper then a passport, It works as a passport for cruising and going to Can. I just got back form a cruise with my wife both of us used the enhanced license and had no problems getting back state side.

http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/edl-main.htm

3019640744_8a651db3b7.jpg

3019640866_34f2619d18.jpg

(just googled the above license not mine)

Archived