Anyone been checking out pricing on Europe....

There are certainly some fantastic deals in Europe.

I have found AdvOTS Back to Back

4night/5night to Lisbon/Gibralter and Canaries end of October.

I live in London are.

Cost per person for inside cabin including flights, airport transfers and the 9 night cruise $850 per person.

Only $300 per person extra for balcony cabin.

Now I don't know about my friends from over the pond, but I think that is incredibly cheap.

There are certainly some fantastic deals in Europe.

I have found AdvOTS Back to Back

4night/5night to Lisbon/Gibralter and Canaries end of October.

I live in London are.

Cost per person for inside cabin including flights, airport transfers and the 9 night cruise $850 per person.

Only $300 per person extra for balcony cabin.

Now I don't know about my friends from over the pond, but I think that is incredibly cheap.

That does sound like a good deal:)

I have priced over and over flights for my family of 4 for this summer (June-July) abroad as I can basically steal a European sailing right now. In all my searches I keep finding one thing....no matter if I am flying into Spain, UK or Italy, the airfare alone is MORE than me booking 2 ...yes I said 2 balcony cabins at current pricing right off Royals site for either Oasis/Allure. I do live in driving distance so I have no airfare if I go out of FL....kind of makes Oasis/Allure look reasonable for me.

Yes, the air is very high - depending on the country you are flying into. There have been some excellent air/hotel/cruise packages because the cruises aren't selling as expected. People don't want to pay the high air prices....me included!

Marion

Could I ask a few questions about Promowave, which is something I hadnt heard of until yesterday?

1. It is a weekly or periodical issue.

2. Can you register to receive it by email or do you have to watch for it.

3. Can the offers only be booked by (USA based) TAs.

4. Are the prices quoted exclusive of taxes etc.

Any other info about it would be appreciated. I noticed for example that a cruise out of Venice in June that was $300.00 cheaper per couple, for an inside cabin, than offered through the RCCL website.

I look at it every Monday, if you're a C&A member you can book that day rather than wait until Tuesday.

They can be booked from a US phone number, toll free, or by a US travel agent. Nothing to stop you getting those prices though....

That does sound like a good deal:)

I have priced over and over flights for my family of 4 for this summer (June-July) abroad as I can basically steal a European sailing right now. In all my searches I keep finding one thing....no matter if I am flying into Spain, UK or Italy, the airfare alone is MORE than me booking 2 ...yes I said 2 balcony cabins at current pricing right off Royals site for either Oasis/Allure. I do live in driving distance so I have no airfare if I go out of FL....kind of makes Oasis/Allure look reasonable for me.

It's amazing isn't it? I can't take advantage of any of the Promowave sales -RCCL can take me around the Med for a week, feed me numerous times a day, entertain me, all for around $700 taxes and fees included, and the airlines want $16-1700 just to get me to the port!

....MAN....prices have been falling like crazy.....I wish I didn't use all my air miles:( Celebrity has pretty much dropped in half....only problem is, try to find flights....the flights are exceeding the cost of the entire cruise......actually airfare to just about any port in Europe alone is exceeding what I am paying for a balcony on Oasis for June or July this summer:eek: Me thinks the second half #'s may not be looking all that great when they come out:eek:

I keep seeing some fantastic cruise deals come up, now with the launch of 2012/2013 cruises I have noticed at work a massive price drop in 2011 cruises.

Just wish I had the money to book one myself again ;)

I keep seeing some fantastic cruise deals come up, now with the launch of 2012/2013 cruises I have noticed at work a massive price drop in 2011 cruises.

Just wish I had the money to book one myself again ;)

After seeing the "massive price drop in 2011 cruises" it really makes you wonder about booking anything for 2012 :confused:think they need to revisit their 2012 pricing:eek::rolleyes: if they want to get folks to start booking.

Something that is going to come into airfare play BIG TIME for summer 2012 is the Summer Olympics are being held in London next year....imagine what pricing on airfare for the second half of July thru mid August is going to be to cross the pond next summer:eek::eek::eek:

After seeing the "massive price drop in 2011 cruises" it really makes you wonder about booking anything for 2012 :confused:think they need to revisit their 2012 pricing:eek::rolleyes: if they want to get folks to start booking.

When I looked at the opening prices for summer 2012, they looked lower than what they started out with the past couple of years (which was ridiculously high anyway) but compared to this summer, they seem very expensive. Definitely does not inspire early booking.

Something that is going to come into airfare play BIG TIME for summer 2012 is the Summer Olympics are being held in London next year....imagine what pricing on airfare for the second half of July thru mid August is going to be to cross the pond next summer:eek::eek::eek:

good point July 27th to August 12 2012

May 28 a week out of Venice, Cruise inside room about $509 CDN ( would be higher is it was USD :D)

Total cost was over $1600 once you throw in the flight ( direct from Toronto)

A week on the Mediterranean will be more interesting then a week in the Caribbean.

If you are paying $1600 ,why don't you pay the extra 200ish for oceanview.

Normally I would never suggest this but, hell your being ripped off for a $1100 airfare,

why not spring for oceanview. Don't look at it as 25% more for cruise. It would be less then GST/PST on the total.:p

Anyway thats what I am doing for my Mariner cruise.

Hi

My parents have often tried to book discounted cruises only to find they can not get the flights or they are very expensive. We have booked for 2012 and the air fare from Scotland to Barcelona from RCCL is £350.00. For another £150.00 each we could fly to the US. We are currently looking at cruises from Southampton as my daughter hates flying. We could fly to US and cruise in the Caribbean for the same price as cruising direct from Southampton. (Caribbean would be my choice!) For us a family of 4 we normally like to book early to get the best airfares.

We all have to remember that Europe has more seasonal weather than the Caribbean and the weather from October to April can be a hit or a miss with more chance of the seas being rough. Peak season is May to September. Some P & O cruises for July 2012 from Southampton are already sold out. RCCL want £1600pp for 14 nights in the cheapest inside.

Hi, just booked a 14 day cruise from Palma Mallorca to Colon Panama. $357 outside cabin each and then I used my crown and anchor certificate for another $200 off. Total cost will be $617 Canadian for both of us ! Yes the price of airfare will be high but we shall stop in Dublin for a few days on route and we have never been to Palma Mallorca of Panama so it should be exciting!

Tom and Jackie from Canada

Last year I booked 2 balconies on Brilliance (12nt barcelona in June) for $10,000 but I had to cancel because I couldn't get the time off work. The exact same dates I would pay $3600 for a balcony with an interline agency I just discoverd (I'm in the 'biz' kind of).

Next year I'm going to make sure I can get two weeks off in summer and I'll just keep my options open. There are 3 ships that leave the same day for 12nt cruises out of Barcelona next summer.

I was on the NCL Gem a couple of weeks back and they said that the Gem burned 23 gallons of fuel per minute! Now if a ship is homeported in Europe, that means that U.S. dollars will be converted to Euros ($1 to $1.45) to pay for this fuel. Given the inflated price of the fuel paid for by inflated Euros...well, you can do the math. Cruise lines don't want to charge the fuel supplement, if they do onboard spending will drop, as will shore excursions. I suspect they are currently having somewhat of a difficult time filling the European ships - thus the price drops.

A couple of years back when the US was in dire financial difficulty all the cruise prices dropped their pricing structure, but it later rebounded to stable levels. Today, with the price of the fuel being so high, they can't go much lower than current pricing without invoking the fuel surcharges, which will benefit no one. Rerouting ships in mid deployment is a drastic measure. My feeling is that for RCCL to pull back Navigator, things have to be serious.

That coupled with the inability of passengers to get airfare at reasonable prices, well the current economic situation doesn't bode well for the cruise lines, nor the airlines.

I would tend to think that RCCL may be the first line to pullback a ship, but not the last.

Just my 2 cents.

I was on the NCL Gem a couple of weeks back and they said that the Gem burned 23 gallons of fuel per minute! Now if a ship is homeported in Europe, that means that U.S. dollars will be converted to Euros ($1 to $1.45) to pay for this fuel. Given the inflated price of the fuel paid for by inflated Euros...well, you can do the math. Cruise lines don't want to charge the fuel supplement, if they do onboard spending will drop, as will shore excursions. I suspect they are currently having somewhat of a difficult time filling the European ships - thus the price drops.

A couple of years back when the US was in dire financial difficulty all the cruise prices dropped their pricing structure, but it later rebounded to stable levels. Today, with the price of the fuel being so high, they can't go much lower than current pricing without invoking the fuel surcharges, which will benefit no one. Rerouting ships in mid deployment is a drastic measure. My feeling is that for RCCL to pull back Navigator, things have to be serious.

That coupled with the inability of passengers to get airfare at reasonable prices, well the current economic situation doesn't bode well for the cruise lines, nor the airlines.

I would tend to think that RCCL may be the first line to pullback a ship, but not the last.

Just my 2 cents.

Canadian passengers found it cheaper to rent a car and drive to Bayonne than flying. The air fare would have been more than the cost of the cruise! Many more passengers are opting not to fly to ports if they have other options. Air fare is really getting to the point of being outrageous. If you need air to get to the ship, the cost could negate any savings on the cruise fare.

And the statement that people will spend less on board is correct. It is supposed to be a vacation and not a major investment. If you are only paying for yourself it is a far different story than having to pay for a family of 4, 5 or more.

MARAPRINCE

Just a thought but what does it really matter?

I am not being sarcastic but if the cruise is cheap with high airfare how is that any different than the airfare cheap with a high cost cruise. All in all it is the same spent. Many people fly to the US to cruise out of Florida. I would much rather spend money getting to Italy than Labadee. (Don't get me wrong. I love Labadee and RCCL has done a fantastic job building it but it is not history or cultural) I create a vacation budget, do all I can to plan and get the most for my buck. For me it is about family time and experiences abroad that we will never enjoy here in Ohio.

Just my oppinion, if it were up to my DH we would never leave the back yard but... because I am passionate about travel, my son's have seen and enjoyed the world. Have done quite a bit and still have tons to do. :p

Happy sails with whatever cruise you take,

Patty

I guess you have to look at the vacation as a total package. Whether the cruise price is lower and the airfare is higher, or vice versa, I'm betting that what you will pay this year will be more than last year. So, it matters in that respect. And for every family member that goes on vacation, it matters even more.

Not to mention airlines squeezing the last buck out of you on bagge fees and legroom charges.

I don't think people mind paying, I think they mind being screwed just because they can be. There's a difference.

I guess you have to look at the vacation as a total package. Whether the cruise price is lower and the airfare is higher, or vice versa, I'm betting that what you will pay this year will be more than last year. So, it matters in that respect. And for every family member that goes on vacation, it matters even more.

Not to mention airlines squeezing the last buck out of you on bagge fees and legroom charges.

I don't think people mind paying, I think they mind being screwed just because they can be. There's a difference.

Honestly my budget this year is the same as last year. My airfare was the exact same as it was a year ago when I began my planning. For us (family of 3 this time, college son is staying behind) this trip was on the table and off again a couple of times. So I did have reference on cost. I bought my airfare last week for this June and it was the same cost as a year ago. To be honest my DH and I were both shocked! No baggage fee's for international flights and as for tours RIL again were the exact same as well. I guess I got real lucky to be able to pull this off within 60 days of sailing. Now for leg room charges I am with you, Ridiculous!!! :eek:

All that being said both of my flights going and coming from BCN are sold out. So there are quite a few people out there still buying flights. Hope they do come down or atlease level off soon. On a side note one thing that is different from last year and not to my favor is the Euro/Dollar exchange rate.

Smiles,

Patty

Canadian passengers found it cheaper to rent a car and drive to Bayonne than flying. The air fare would have been more than the cost of the cruise! Many more passengers are opting not to fly to ports if they have other options. Air fare is really getting to the point of being outrageous. If you need air to get to the ship, the cost could negate any savings on the cruise fare.

And the statement that people will spend less on board is correct. It is supposed to be a vacation and not a major investment. If you are only paying for yourself it is a far different story than having to pay for a family of 4, 5 or more.

MARAPRINCE

I do not understand?

People find it cheaper to rent a car and drive 24 hours one way?

Just a thought but what does it really matter?

I am not being sarcastic but if the cruise is cheap with high airfare how is that any different than the airfare cheap with a high cost cruise. All in all it is the same spent. Many people fly to the US to cruise out of Florida. I would much rather spend money getting to Italy than Labadee. (Don't get me wrong. I love Labadee and RCCL has done a fantastic job building it but it is not history or cultural) I create a vacation budget, do all I can to plan and get the most for my buck. For me it is about family time and experiences abroad that we will never enjoy here in Ohio.

Just my oppinion, if it were up to my DH we would never leave the back yard but... because I am passionate about travel, my son's have seen and enjoyed the world. Have done quite a bit and still have tons to do. :p

Happy sails with whatever cruise you take,

Patty

Your theory only makes sense if you have to fly to either location:p

I would belive most people fly to a port:D

Why would you assume that:confused:....I know people who drive from Fl up to NYC for extended weekends because they don't want to pay the airfare....I meet plenty people who drive 16+ hrs to get to a port all the time on cruises.

Your theory only makes sense if you have to fly to either location:p

Yes I fly either way, with weather and time off from work driving from Ohio to Fl would be silliy IMO. I know many drive to ports but not us. I do wish! Hard earned moola on airfare is a bite but has just become a part of our vacation budget.

Smiles,

Patty

As a matter of fact a colleague of my wife was just on Allure a couple weeks ago....there were 3 of them and they drove direct non-stop each way from Chicago....she told my wife "I ain't paying that crazy airfare". My personally....I wouldn't do it but plenty do.

Why would you assume that:confused:....I know people who drive from Fl up to NYC for extended weekends because they don't want to pay the airfare....I meet plenty people who drive 16+ hrs to get to a port all the time on cruises.

Because I am special that why I was in the special class at school

AND my wifes says I KNOW EVERYTHING :D

Also in the winter how many people want to drive on snow covered hiways to get to a southern port

Archived