Borghese Gardens

CruisinManiac

I think it's more like 30 days out, not just 10.

You can purchase tickets on line through the site Cynthia (cruisemom42) linked a couple of posts above; they charge a 1 Euro fee for booking, but at least it's done.

Another thought, if you are going to be in Rome for a few days, is to look at the Roma Pass. You can use it at the Borghese, which is one of the more expensive admissions in Rome. Even so, you still have to call and reserve a time, but there's a number for Roma Pass holders to call on the web site.

Thanks for your response, Eurocruiser.

I thought it was 30 days also, not 10 days. Yes, we will be in Rome for 4 nights, and I just bought the Roma Pass for the 4 of us. We're planning on using the free admissions for Borghese and Colosseum, just as you suggested, so I was calling just to make a reservation. I used the # that was on their website.

Perhaps I should call back at the 30 day mark. Maybe I'll get somebody different this time. It might be worth a shot.

Hmm ... makes me wonder if they have a different standard for Roma Pass users, but nothing on either web site mentions it.

I would try back at the 30 day mark, as you suggested.

I never mentioned the Roma Pass in our conversation.

I'm sure it will work out in the end. Wish me luck.

We are going in November - not peak season - plan on using the Roma Pass too. We're there for 4 full days so will have some flexibility in our dates. if we can't use the Roma Pass on line, do you think it is safe to wait until we get there to make our reservation? or should we phone?

Thanks for your opinions. Jacqui

Thanks-the reason I asked is b/c the tour company posted a picture of a loooong line.....Figured it was a scare...Do u know what times the guides are? How would I find out? I e-mailed the Borghese, and all they replied back was that u can rent an audio guide...Would rather have a real=-life person....Thanks again!

I was there in September and the audio guides are really excellent. For lots of things I like to have a guided tour with a person but we didn't feel like we missed out on anything by using the audio guide. And it was nice since you can do the rooms in any order with the audio guide, so we headed straight upstairs (all the guided tours and crowds started downstairs), so we had every room almost to ourselves, then by the time we went downstairs all the crowds were moving upstairs.

We are going in November - not peak season - plan on using the Roma Pass too. We're there for 4 full days so will have some flexibility in our dates. if we can't use the Roma Pass on line, do you think it is safe to wait until we get there to make our reservation? or should we phone?

I would phone. I've only been to the Borghese off season, three times, and it was always crowded.

I was there in September and the audio guides are really excellent. For lots of things I like to have a guided tour with a person but we didn't feel like we missed out on anything by using the audio guide. And it was nice since you can do the rooms in any order with the audio guide, so we headed straight upstairs (all the guided tours and crowds started downstairs), so we had every room almost to ourselves, then by the time we went downstairs all the crowds were moving upstairs.

Audio guides seem like the way to go. That's a great tip starting upstairs, then going downstairs later. We use that same strategy for Disney, starting at the back of the park and working our way forward.

Another great tip from CC.

euro cruiser, you have been so helpful! One last question, and then we can let this thread die. ;) Do you have any idea where we could get off of the HOHO bus to be near the entrance of via valmichi?

According to this site (http://www.rometoolkit.com/whattodo/rome_hop_on_tour_bus.htm), there are seven HOHO buses in Rome, but they say that all use more or less the same route. Based on the map provided by the Rome Tool Kit site, the nearest stop would be Piazza del Popolo, and you'd need to climb the steps up into the Pincio section of the park, then walk back into the park to the lake.

Unless you have real difficulties walking, I think the HOHO buses in Rome are a supreme waste - but others will vehemently disagree. My issues with them are that they are expensive, slow, don't get close enough to many of the key places you'd want to go, and aren't frequent enough to be helpful.

So much of what a typical tourist wants to see in Rome is very compact that it seems a waste to me to pay for unused transportation. The two key sites that are the farthest away, the Vatican and the Colosseum, are still only two miles apart. With foresight and planning, any reasonably able bodied person can manage to get to everything, using one or two taxi rides and/or public buses. But that's me, and heaven knows not everyone agrees with me!

In your case, the Villa Borghese would be an outlier as well. Again, public transit is an easy solution here. There are small electric buses that run from the heart of town (the area around the Pantheon) right into the park.

(For what it's worth, I'm not universally opposed to HOHO buses - I was very happy to learn that they have one in New Delhi, it will make getting around there a lot easier for me.)

No trouble walking, but we wanted to cover as much ground as possible on our first day in Rome.

We arrive at 9:30 via FCO and are staying in a hotel near the main Termini. I thought we would walk over to the Termini after checking in, and catch a bus to look around Rome. Jumping off at the gardens would be the only foot touring for us that day.;) On my last visit, riding the HOHO bus from this location was one of my favorites. I didn't get off the bus, either! :D I just thought it would be relaxing after a long flight, and a way to show DH around Rome. We plan to take more detailed touring post-cruise.

We are looking into the Rome Christiana Company. I realize that the pricing will be a bit higher than taking the public bus (electric) but we will not have to worry as much about the pickpockets on a touring bus.

Still doing research as to the best way, and quickest from the bus stop, to get into the park and to the lake. I found the following on another website.

The main entrance is from Piazzale Flaminio. The large pen gate open 24/7, introduces a road which crosses the entire park from North to South. The first section of the road is dedicated to former New York's mayor Fiorello La Guardia. Yet the entrance most people use is directly from the Spanish Steps. In fact, if you climb the Steps, and turn right, after less than 100 meters you are already in the park, in the most panoramic section overlooking Rome called "Pincio".

I am thinking that after we get off at the nearest bus stop. we may have to take a taxi in. We will be on a tight schedule that day, as I have decided that our relaxing bus ride will have more "getting off stops." :D

While hunting aroung on the internet, I found a few websites that offer "fast track" tix (don't have to wait on line) and walking tour of the Gardens and Museum (with guide)....Am I better off doing this than waiting on the que ??? Thanks!

NO NO, a total ripoff! This "fast track" stuff is a total scam, at least at the Borghese! I've been to Borghese countless times on my own, and there is NO need for any guide. When you buy your tickets online to see the museum, they are timed anyway, so you only wait a few minutes or so max. I've never gotten the audio guide but friends have told me it's very good. And you can wander the park by yourself with a map.

Still doing research as to the best way, and quickest from the bus stop, to get into the park and to the lake. I found the following on another website.

I am thinking that after we get off at the nearest bus stop. we may have to take a taxi in. We will be on a tight schedule that day, as I have decided that our relaxing bus ride will have more "getting off stops." :D

I just don't understand this. If you go up the Spanish Steps you are facing the church of Trinita dei Monti. If you turn right, you are facing a fork in the road, to the right is Via Gregoriana and to the left is Via Sistina.

The description in the web site you refereced talks about Pincio. To get into that part of the park, you take the steps up from Piazza del Popolo. Is it possible that the author doesn't know the differnce between the Spanish Steps and Piazza del Popolo?

Or am I completely losing my mind?

Just posting what I am reading. :)

I don't know about you, but I AM LOSING MY MIND :eek:

After spending all of yesterday afternoon and most of today compiling data, mapping out routes for what I wanted to see from the HOHO bus map that I have from 2008, and printing off various maps with directions, I find the following on the Open Tour Bus page(2nd choice of buses after I found out that the Roma Christiana doesn't go near the Borghese Gardens). I had read that some of the bus schedules had changed, but I had no idea that a lot of the best stops - for my one day itinerary - were canceled indefinitely. :( A lot of planning and time for naught! :mad: Oh, and the RomeToolkit site is outdated as well. UGH!

2011 Travel Alert

Rome Municipality Authority will impose new regulations and restricted access for all hop-on hop-off tours in the city of Rome. It will impact the number of stops available. The below eight (8) stops are consistent and continue to give visitors a comprehensive tour of the city. New stops will open up throughout 2011 but cannot be guaranteed at this stage. They will include Piazza della Repubblica, stops closeby to the Trevi Fountain, Santa Maria Maggiore, Sant'Angelo and Piazza Barberini. These changes are beyond our control and imposed without notice by the local Rome Municipality Authority, therefore the exact itinerary will be advised on the day of travel.

Itinerary:

Rome Hop-on Hop-off Stops:

1.TERMINI - Largo di Villa Peretti

2.PIAZZA VENEZIA - Vittoriano lato/side Piazza D'Aracoeli

3.COLOSSEO - Via di San Gregorio / Sundays and Public Holidays Via Nicola Salvi

4.CIRCO MASSIMO - Opposite Piazzale Ugo La Malfa

5.ISOLA TIBERINA - Piazza di Monte Savello ATAC bus stop

6.SAN PIETRO - Via della Conciliazione, Opposite Caff- San Pietro, no. 36 (Vatican City)

7.AUGUSTO IMPERATORE - Piazza Augusto Imperatore

8.TRITONE - Via del Tritone / Via della Stamperia

There is really no way to plan until you get to Rome and see what stops are available. This will be impossible to plan ahead as wanted to take the bus as soon as we get settled into our hotel.

Rethinking this whole thing after reading terrible reviews on TripAdvisor - one after the other - of ALL bus lines, even the Red 110 buses. :(

Maybe take a cab to the center of Rome from our Hotel Canad location, and then walking everything from there. Will probably miss the gardens all together. :( We are very close to both the Metro and the Termini. I am really scared of taking the Metro, though.

Rethinking this whole thing after reading terrible reviews on TripAdvisor - one after the other - of ALL bus lines, even the Red 110 buses. :(

Maybe take a cab to the center of Rome from our Hotel Canad location, and then walking everything from there. Will probably miss the gardens all together. :( We are very close to both the Metro and the Termini. I am really scared of taking the Metro, though.

I've said many a time that IMHO the HOHOs are a waste of time if you can walk (and even if you can't, sometimes a taxi is better).

Why are you afraid of the Metro? I've used it many times as a woman traveling on my own. Maybe we can walk you through your fears.....:)

Remember, Rome really isn't all that large. Last time I was there I walked from Termini to Spanish Steps then down to the Ara Pacis and Augustus' tomb, then back to Spanish Steps again (to take Metro to Termini) in order to meet an afternoon "Walking Tour" there, lol!

I've said many a time that IMHO the HOHOs are a waste of time if you can walk (and even if you can't, sometimes a taxi is better).

Why are you afraid of the Metro? I've used it many times as a woman traveling on my own. Maybe we can walk you through your fears.....:)

Remember, Rome really isn't all that large. Last time I was there I walked from Termini to Spanish Steps then down to the Ara Pacis and Augustus' tomb, then back to Spanish Steps again (to take Metro to Termini) in order to meet an afternoon "Walking Tour" there, lol!

Just heard about pickpocketers.

We do plan on walking everywhere, but also wanted to relax a bit and take in the sights from "above". I think what we will do is take the Red Line HOHO at the reduced price (12E no hoping off) - for a loop, and then do everything else by foot. Question: Can we get off those buses anywhere we want to when we are ready to end the ride, or do we have to wait until back at the Termini?

On any HOHO I've ever been on, you can get off at any stop along the way and reboarding the bus is totally up to you. I haven't been on the Red Line HOHO but I would assume it is the same.....

If you have your valuables secured (which you should anyway when walking around Rome), there's no need to be afraid on the metro or anywhere else. Leave your passport and any extra cash or credit cards in your hotel safe.

On any HOHO I've ever been on, you can get off at any stop along the way and reboarding the bus is totally up to you. I haven't been on the Red Line HOHO but I would assume it is the same.....

If you have your valuables secured (which you should anyway when walking around Rome), there's no need to be afraid on the metro or anywhere else. Leave your passport and any extra cash or credit cards in your hotel safe.

I was talking about the reduced fare bus where you are not allowed to get on and off. You stay on. What I wondered is if you can get off anywhere along the route. Of course, you are off for good at that point. Just reading the 110 info, and that 12E price is good for one hour. Withe reduced stops, that should get us at least through half of the stops. :D

OK, we may make a gallant effort to try the Metro since we are staying so close to it. I'll be brave. Is it the metro where you have to validate your ticket at the yellow box, or is that for the train only?

Sorry, I didn't understand about the HOHO, so I can't really help there. Hopefully someone else will know.

On the metro you do not have to do the yellow box validation. You purchase a ticket (assuming you don't have a pass) at one of the machines in the station (or you can purchase ahead of time at a Tabacchi or news stand), then you insert it into the turnstile to access the metro line. As with most other metros, you can transfer between the lines (at Termini) without having to purchase another ticket. A single ticket is good for a one-way ride.

If you Google "Ron in Rome Metro" you'll find a great site with pictures that will really help give you the feel of what it's like -- also detailed info on the metro lines and buying tickets versus passes.

I am correcting something that I said in the above post.

and that 12E price is good for one hour. Withe reduced stops, that should get us at least through half of the stops.

I should have had my glasses on when I read the 110 website. The above should say "the 12E is good for one TOUR," not hour. :o

Archived