What happens if you flush the toilet whilst sitting on it?? (Im serious!)

jarz85

Hi, we are going on our first cruise in a couple weeks.. was just curious what happens if you flush the toilet while sitting on it? We have a certain, errr rule? in our house... flush twice for number 2's LOL. It would also help with cabin smells?

I'm sorry if this is a bit of a smelly question but I dont want to get sucked down the toilet lol

You will be sucked into the toilet, and if you're larger, you'll require maintenance to extract you.......Just kidding!!!!

It's hard to flush while sitting, because of the location of the flush button.

If everything goes down the 1st time...no need to re-flush!

You will be sucked into the toilet, and if you're larger, you'll require maintenance to extract you.......Just kidding!!!!

:D:D. too the original poster-- just think of a plane toilet. the same thing only alot cleaner. bring a small deoderizer too spray in the bathroom. it really helps.

So there is no place to hang a toilet freshener thingy like I do at home? I was thinking of bringing one. I also bought some sachets, the kind make to hang up on a hanger bar which I thought I would stick in strategic places in the bathroom.

So there is no place to hang a toilet freshener thingy like I do at home? I was thinking of bringing one. I also bought some sachets, the kind make to hang up on a hanger bar which I thought I would stick in strategic places in the bathroom.

you can hang them on the door or knobs if they have them. i would still buy a small spray deoderizer of some kind. even the small fake cologn sprays work good. it will help more get rid of any #2 smells ;).

Hi, we are going on our first cruise in a couple weeks.. was just curious what happens if you flush the toilet while sitting on it? We have a certain, errr rule? in our house... flush twice for number 2's LOL. It would also help with cabin smells?

I'm sorry if this is a bit of a smelly question but I dont want to get sucked down the toilet lol

Mythbusters had an episode (one of their early ones) on getting sucked into the toilet. They proved no matter how big and squishy you are it just can't happen. :D

Um, this really has happened in the past.

In Coffee, Tea or Me the flight attendents ("cept they were called stewardesses then) tell of a woman that got stuck by suction on/in an airline toilet.

She was, of course, eventually freed, but I don't remember how. And she wasn't particularly large, either.

As compensation she received first class tickets for life.

Umm, were my compensation free balcony cabins for life I think I could handle a little embarassment and discomfort.

If you drop the tissue in the very front of the toilet, it has a difficult time "finding" it to flush it..UGH! The flush is finished, but the tissue is STILL sitting there looking at you...sorry, but it's true, so the toilet does take some adjustments in habits. We carry a travel-sized spray of lysol and my daughter carries a small travel size of "refresh" to spritz the bathroom with after use. We used to carry the hangy thing that you can put in the car but we just didn't like the smell of most of them.

...what happens if you flush the toilet while sitting on it?

Sorry, you did say "sitting". My mind added an "H". :D

OK, seriously now, it is no problem to flush while sitting, except you do have to lean forward because the flush button is usually behind the toilet seat. You won't get stuck because there is always an air gap between the toilet and the seat.

As for cleaning, sometimes I have to use hot water to clean after my, well, manly sitting. So here is real tip -- Your shower will probably be on a metal hose. If it reaches to the toilet, this is helpful for cleaning it with hot water. If it doesn't reach, try using a drinking glass & warm/hot water to rinse the toilet. There is also a toilet brush, but I never got used to that -- I find a brown-colored brush rather disgusting.

Note...Sometimes the toilet flushing is shut off when maintenance is working on the toilet system.I have had it shut off all night before -- after we did our "business." Not pleasant, but we kept the toilet lid and bathroom door shut and it was OK.

Wow thanks for the replies... the longest flight I've been on is 2 hours so I've never used a plane toilet either... however, we are going on a 15 hour non stop flight in a couple days so I guess I will find out!

It sounds like going to the toilet will be an experience itself.. cant wait lol

i never had a problem reaching the button behind the toilet seat while on the toilet and im no contortionist...a courtesy flush is a must..anyone that went to college knows that! Also i was on a Carnival ship, i dont know if that makes a difference.

Ok, people...don't panic. The comedienne on our cruise two weeks ago was only joking when she said she flushed and had a surprise hysterectomy. Now that's not a pretty picture, but got a huge laugh.

Seriously, I don't think we're at any risk, but I do leave an extra air gap just in case. Still, it's best to close the lid first. More so on an airplane, as the suction is a lot stronger due to not having water in the bowl.

My mother did, however, tell of a sailing on a small ship (Yorktown Clipper anyone?) as a speaker but pressed into occasional service, where a gentleman traveler's unattached toupee was sucked off the bathroom counter and down the toilet. And he wanted it back :eek:

So close the lid if you aren't perched there yourself.

Archived