4 year old & upper berth

MommaOML

Our cabin on the Carnival Spirit has a king, a couch/bed and an upper berth. We've got a boy who will be 4.75 years old when we cruise. Would you put a 4-5 year old in the upper berth?

We also have a 2 year old, so we're trying to decide if we'll bring a pack & play for her or if she'll go on the couch/bed.

My sons have slept on the uppers since age 4 and have done fine until last week when my 7 year old fell off the top bunk on the Sensation. It appears though from my research that the rails on the Sensation are different and leave a huge space between the rail and the mattress. On our past cruises there wasn't much of a space for falling.

He falls out sometimes at home, but he doesn't have rails on his bed. I just wasn't sure if I was being an over-protective momma or not ;) It will all depend on IF he's willing to climb up & down that ladder. He's not a climber, but after I showed him a picture, he seemed excited about the idea of it all.

Our cabin on the Carnival Spirit has a king, a couch/bed and an upper berth. We've got a boy who will be 4.75 years old when we cruise. Would you put a 4-5 year old in the upper berth?

We also have a 2 year old, so we're trying to decide if we'll bring a pack & play for her or if she'll go on the couch/bed.

We are cruising in 3 weeks and plan on letting our 4.5 year old sleep on the top bunk. He has never fallen out of bed at home (knock on wood), but I still plan on asking for extra blankets or pillows to put some extra padding around the rails.

We are also cruising with our 2 year old. We haven't decided yet if we are going to put the mattress on the floor (our room has two bunks and two lowers) or ask for a pnp. I'm definitely not going to put him on a bunk ;)

I can't speak to Carnival but on Princess it was fine in the top bunk. On Celebrity I was worried about safety for some reason. So just see what you think when you board. You have to feel comfortable with the situation. I ended up sleeping in the top bunk because it just made me too nervous for the little one.

He falls out sometimes at home, but he doesn't have rails on his bed. I just wasn't sure if I was being an over-protective momma or not ;) It will all depend on IF he's willing to climb up & down that ladder. He's not a climber, but after I showed him a picture, he seemed excited about the idea of it all.

Just ask for a couple of extra towels and roll them up and put them under the bottom sheet to create a little bumper to keep him in.

Why not put them both in the opened sofa bed?

ROFL! I think it would turn into Wrestlemania. My 2 year old still sleeps in a crib at home; she flops around like a spastic frog.

I found a photo of the upper berth, for those who aren't familiar.

2113104510040669306S200x200Q85.jpg

{raising hand} overprotective mom here ;)

Sorry, no way. None. No. :)

My oldest didn't start sleeping up top until she was at least 7 - and even then I was worried sick about it. She doesn't move in her sleep at all.

My youngest flip flops all over the place -- often ending at the bottom of her own bed. She is turning 7 in 2 weeks, I have no plans to allow her to sleep in the top bunk because I can almost guarantee a broken leg by the end of the cruise -- not my idea of a perfect vacation memeory. :p

So the answer is -- how does your child sleep at home? There have been broken legs reported on this board from kids who have fallen out of upper berths.

I pulled the upper berth mattress onto the floor when we were on Carnival and my kids were younger.

IMG_0047.jpg

Hmm, broken leg on vacation? Yeah, that doesn't sound like fun.

Did you put the mattress back up each day to gain the floor space back? That seems like a good compromise - he can "play" up there during the day, but for night, it goes on the floor. I think I'd put the 2 year old on the couch and the 4 year old on the floor. Less likely to get injured if the 2 year old lands on the 4 year old than the other way around ;)

Hmm, broken leg on vacation? Yeah, that doesn't sound like fun.

Did you put the mattress back up each day to gain the floor space back? That seems like a good compromise - he can "play" up there during the day, but for night, it goes on the floor. I think I'd put the 2 year old on the couch and the 4 year old on the floor. Less likely to get injured if the 2 year old lands on the 4 year old than the other way around ;)

We didn't have to put the bed up each night because we had enough floor space, but your cabin configuration may be different. I would just play it by ear.

Have a great cruise! :D

We put a 6 year old and a 4.5 year old in an upper bunk ...

IMG_0533.jpg

Both at the same time.

Archived