Tipping luggage handlers in Europe?

m steve

In 3 Europe cruises we only saw "curbside" porters once, and we gave them $3 for 2 bags. We also gave transfer bus drivers who unloaded bags $2. They seemed genuinely surprised and pleased to get anything.

Normaly I give the smallest bill in the realm per bag.

Many places it is cosidered rude to tip big because it shows americans as throwing their money around and showing off. Tipping a guy a days wage without knowing it makes you look pretty foolish.

tipping is not a big part of the culture everywhere. no one blanket statement will do. it is best to do some research for the specific areas you will be going to.

This is very true. My answer was general, but it really depends upon what port you are leaving from. in many places in Europe, tipping is very small compared to what we would give here. In other places, it is expected. Guide books usually list tipping expectations

i agree with kazu -- we tipped in europe -- people at the airports who helped with out luggage -- the porters in the hotel -- tour guides -- bus drivers -- porters at the cruise terminals, etc

that's just us

Did you need to get local currency, or are people in the European service industry used to having to convert US Dollars?

Did you need to get local currency, or are people in the European service industry used to having to convert US Dollars?
We've never had anyone refuse a tip in $US anywhere in the world. When in Europe we try to use Euro though, as that is generally preferred.

We always have local currency in Europe. We tip U.S. $$ on the ships but not in hotels, taxis, restaurants, tour guides etc

on the ship the currency is $dollars and the crew is paid in $US dollars.

If they want to buy stuff on board ,in the crew bar or things like that they pay in $US dollars.

Tipping in Europe is the EURO..... except Switzerland &UK The dollar is no longer the currency of choice in many places:( It is also , I consider, more polite to tip in the local cash so the guy dosent have to go to the local bank, pay a conversion fee ( up to 10%) not to mention the time and effort..

We will cruise out of there later this month. I am wondering if we should do our extra tips on board in Euros since the crew will be there for several months.

I read that HAL is only in US currency. So I would do American money, however I would think that any currency would work.

Phoebe

Check a guidebook for Venice. At the airport we schlepped our luggage a very long way to the water taxi. I believe, and I'm sure someone will correct me if I am wrong, that it is not necessary to tip the water taxi. We also got a water taxi from hotel to cruise ship. We got off the water taxi and the water taxi driver gave our luggage to a group of men who were like a bucket briggage putting our luggage on a conveyer belt. There was no opportunity for us to tip. Nobody seemed to expect one.

Archived