What do you pre-book?

alcie

It looks like there are a number of pre-booking options, everything from room decorations and specialty dinning to excursions. I'm just curious what everyone pre-books and what they wait to add until on board.

This last cruise, we pre-booked our Soda Packages (one less thing to do when we got on board and then our pass had it pre printed instead of the sticker that would come off on occasion). We also pre-booked an excursion as we didn't want to risk it selling out as it was long enough that we didn't want to risk missing the ship when we got back.

The downside of pre-booking is they charge you immediately. Generally I would rather pay for everything when we get back. I've already paid for the cruise ahead of time, I don't want to pay for more than I have to.

Erika

It looks like there are a number of pre-booking options, everything from room decorations and specialty dinning to excursions. I'm just curious what everyone pre-books and what they wait to add until on board.

:cool:I go to gifts n gear and order flowers for the cabin, wine to be delivered ahead of time, and decorations if appropriate. I also book speciality restaurants, and my wine package. If I'm planning an excursion, then I book ahead of time. Did for Alaska and Europe (had never been there), but do not for Caribbean, Bermuda, since I do my own thing. I like things out of the way, and paid for ahead of time:cool:

:cool:I go to gifts n gear and order flowers for the cabin, wine to be delivered ahead of time, and decorations if appropriate. I also book speciality restaurants, and my wine package. If I'm planning an excursion, then I book ahead of time. Did for Alaska and Europe (had never been there), but do not for Caribbean, Bermuda, since I do my own thing. I like things out of the way, and paid for ahead of time:cool:

Same for me.. We book our massages, soda cards, chocolate covered strawberries and champagne and the specialty restaurtants. If we do excursions with RCCL then we book those also.. We like to have everything planned out... My husband got me a nice package last time that had robes and breakfast for two.. was a really nice touch..

We do most of what other have suggested except for some excursions. We've found that the same exact thing can be had on-shore for less but thenwe build in a larger time cushion to gaurantee getting back in time. We also pre-book our MTD "standard" time and make changes onboard as ship or port schedules dictate.

Thought for wine package we have had some thoughts that there might be embarkation day specials or discount like they do for soda packages and spa plan.

One thing I wish they allowed for pre-book is an unlimited internet plan. My employer requires getting that and it would be easier to pay that one on their credit card rather than via my ship account once onboard.

For my up coming cruise i will pre book:

Soda package for my son

Wine package for the adults

A tote bag for mum and one for my daughter

One ship tour we all fancy

Speciality restaurants x1

And hopefully book and pay for the late departure option.

I like to do this as they can all be pre paid and there is less to pay on my sea pass card at the end of the holiday.:o

I pre-book my wine package and all excursions. I try to do this as soon as I can so I can pay off my credit card ASAP. After a cruise I don't like to come home to any vacation related expenses.

We try not to pre book too many things. We like to see most things show up on our on board expense account because we pay it off with our RCI Visa and it earns us double points. The one exception is this. We try to book most of our excursions through private vendors at the various ports but, if there is an RCI sponsored excursion that we really want to be on, we will pre book that to be guaranteed a spot.

We try to book as much in advance of the trip so that when we get on vacation we just ENJOY.

The only thing we wait on is booking any spa treatments as we wait to see what specials they are running.

We try not to pre book too many things. We like to see most things show up on our on board expense account because we pay it off with our RCI Visa and it earns us double points. The one exception is this. We try to book most of our excursions through private vendors at the various ports but, if there is an RCI sponsored excursion that we really want to be on, we will pre book that to be guaranteed a spot.
But you'd be able to pre-pay with the RCI Visa card ahead of time, and that'd still get you double points. So that's really equal.

One thing no one's brought up: On board credit.

I like the idea of pre-paying because even small tasks do take up a bit of our vacation . . . but we often have a good bit of on board credit, so we try to figure up realistically what we'll spend on the cruise and NOT over-pre-pay.

From the ship's perspective, pre-paying is a great idea: Many of us like the idea of getting these little tasks out of the way early . . . and then if our tips, soda package, and excursions are all paid, what're we going to do with that on board credit? Oh, yeah -- drink more! Whereas, if we hadn't pre-paid, we might use some of that on board credit for these other planned expenses.

Archived