Dawn: Penthouse Suite in front...too windy?

APPLESEED

I just booked Cabin # 10000 for the end of August which is a Penthouse Suite in the front of the ship.

It provides a wonderful view, but I am concerned that it might be too windy to use the balcony while at sea.

Has anyone had experience with these cabins?

Don

I was on the dawn in may of last year, i heard that the cabins on the front of the ship do have problems with the wind at sea. i went to the furthest most part of the ship (where the foward hot tub is) and even though there is glass up to shield the wind, it was still incredibly windy there. So, from what i have heard, and what i experienced, i would say that the wind will probably be a problem.

Maybe the overhang from the bridge right above you will ease the effect of the wind while at sea? We were in an AD (aft) and while I just LOVE the view of the wake, I did miss the feeling of wind in my face that I've experienced when leaning over the rail on a side balcony cabin. And I think standing on your balcony as the ship eases into port in the morning will be wonderful.

I just booked Cabin # 10000 for the end of August which is a Penthouse Suite in the front of the ship.

It provides a wonderful view, but I am concerned that it might be too windy to use the balcony while at sea.

Don

Keep it clean we have the same cabin on Sept. 4th! I too was wondering about the wind. I'm also hoping we will be able to work on our tan while on the balcony.

We were in the AA 10006 on the 2005 Xmas cruise. The front balcony was great for arriving and leaving port; we found it much too windy for cruising. The cabin actually has two balcony doors, a "regular" inside door and a bulkhead door that needs to be latched open. I'm not even sure you would be able to open it under full speed. We found that one night when the bulkhead door was not closed, the wind whistled in the cabin all night - we made sure it was shut tight after that.

The view, however, was fabulous. If not being able to use it whenever you want is not a problem for you, then go for it. We found we used oour side balcony when the front was not possible.

I've booked a front facing AC cabin on the NCL Jewel (same layout at the Dawn) and from the various posts I've read, yes it's windy when the ship is in full sail, but I've also read that if you're sat on your balcony close to the cabin door as opposed to the balcony rail then the wind is bearable....

Myself, I don't see it as an issue as we're doing a Caribbean cruise and so the weather will be warm for us (we're from the UK) and so we'll welcome the breeze!! I'm also looking forward to sailing into and out of each port!

As with everything, it's all down to personal preference - I doubt I'll be going out on the balcony after I've just done my hair before dinner!!!!!

Don

We had the Owner's Suite (9006) on the Feb. 27th sailing of the Dawn. The front balcony was so windy on sea days (we had very rough seas) that the our cabin steward closed the water-tight outer door and we could not use that balcony, except while in port. It may be very different for you in August, however. In any case, you will have a wonderful cruise on the Dawn!

Wow...guess Im in the minority. I was in 9502 on the NORWEGIAN DAWN and noticed little or no wind at all. Maybe the AA suites are windier because the balcony is closer to the sides of the ship. But in answer to the question..Im one who didnt notice the wind and spent many enjoyable hours on the HUGE balcony that comes with the AC. Would book a room on the front again in a heartbeat.

My husband and I are in AC 10502 for the April 10th sailing. We were also wondering about the wind on our balcony. (Not that it would keep us from enjoying the cruise :D ) I would really like to hear from anyone that has sailed on the Dawn in April. Would like to get an idea of the typical weather conditions when leaving port and for the first day or two of the cruise. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Also, would love to hear from any others that will be sailing on April 10th.

We were in room 10002 on the Dawn early last May. Nothing could beat the view leaving NYC...going by the statue of Liberty and under the Verrazano (sp?) bridge. Breathtaking and not to be missed. As for the wind....WOW when the Dawn got moving it got windy. Especially on the way down and the way back. I think at this time she is traveling at full speed. However, don't let this discourage you. We were able to use the balconies in port and when traveling from Port Canaveral to Miami to Private Island to Bahamas.

Basically as long as she is not traveling at full speed you should be ok.

Although beware....not much privacy from above:p Only a small awning, but it provides enough cover from above.

My husband & I cruised on the Dawn in June of 2003. I think our cabin was 8002....just spoke to hubby, it was cabin 10002. What I do remember is that is was one of the two middle penthouses on the front of the ship. The balcony was tremendous and the overhang made it wonderful. The wind was no stronger than it is on regular balcony cabins. We had the time of our lives. Enjoy yourself.

• 2 weeks later...

just booked 9502 on Dawn for July - hopefully the wind won't be a problem in the middle of the summer - i'm so psyched, a 251 sq foot balcony!!

(Check the rooms carefully if you are interested in booking these - some have 251 sq. feet, others as little as 135. To get the details, go the the NCL site and price it as though booking - then click on the room for the details as to exact square footage.a)

just booked 9502 on Dawn for July - hopefully the wind won't be a problem in the middle of the summer - i'm so psyched, a 251 sq foot balcony!!

(Check the rooms carefully if you are interested in booking these - some have 251 sq. feet, others as little as 135. To get the details, go the the NCL site and price it as though booking - then click on the room for the details as to exact square footage.a)

Hi TrinaLC - can you email me that link with a the view of the AC balcony from the other thread? We're booked on AC 10500 for the Jewel - and whilst the brochure makes this balcony look BIG, I have a feeling there's a descrepency and we're going to end up with 135sqft sized balcony...Oh well!!:( (the Jewel is currently being built on the same designs as the Star/Dawn) So if I can see that picture, I'll know what to expect in the worse case scenario... I'm sure we'll all have a great time in these forward facing PH cabins!

linda.backwith@gerberfoods.com

Don

We'll be in #10000 in May. I'll let you know how windy it is or isn't.

We were in an Owners Suite last Sept., the wind was not bad at the front until we were headed home the last night during the hurricane...WOW! We were rockin' an' a rollin'! It was still fun!

I'm sure you will love it.

That cabin's balcony (10500), at least on the Dawn, is 135 sq. feet. 10002 is 212 sq feet balcony. Their respective oppositive "twins" would be the same. However - the cabin (10500) is about 100 sq. feet larger, so you might be happy with that as a trade off.

Here are the details:

Cabin 10500

* Cabin Square Footage (378)

* Private Balcony (1)

* Balcony Square Footage (135)

* Butler Service

* Concierge

* Dining room area (1)

* Livingroom area (1)

* Floor to ceiling sliding glass doors (1)

* Sprinklers

The 9th Deck 9502 and its twin are the really large ones (balcony 251 sq feet). Is it possible to switch cabins? Here are the details on 9502 which has large cabin AND large balcony (and less "privacy" issues than the ones on 10, see below):

Cabin 9502

* Cabin Square Footage (314)

* Private Balcony (1)

* Balcony Square Footage (254)

* Butler Service

* Concierge

* Dining room area (1)

* Livingroom area (1)

* Floor to ceiling sliding glass doors (1)

* Oceanview Stateroom

* Forward Section

* Port Side

* Studio Bedroom (1)

* Connecting Room (9506)

Another reason you might try to do so is that 10 is directly under the bridge - not too much privacy. I think that is the link you refer to. (However, the middle cabin in this pic looks like it might be OK with the overhang - I think that may be 10500 so you may be OK except when you are way out towards the railing.)

Go to (take out the * - no spaces -)

ht*tp://ww*w.cruisediva.co*m/nor_dawn4.htm

Disclaimer, I've pieced this information together, but not travelled yet - so this isn't personal knowledge.

Good luck!

Many thanks for the info and links - I do realise that nothing is guaranteed so no worries of there are any errors!

The cruise I have booked is a Xmas cruise and within weeks all the penthouse cabins sold out, so there's no opportunity to change. I have been in an aft AD penthouse on the NCL Star so I know the interiors are very well decorated (I'd even say it was the nicest/most spacious cabin we've been in on all our 5 cruises - and that includes comparing it to a suite on Celebrity...)

I just can't figure out why the plans for the Jewel show an oversized balcony, when it most likely isn't the case??!!

Oh Well, as I said, I'm sure we'll have a great time! I picked the cabin under the bridge as I thought it was give us more privacy and a bit of shade!!!

Thanks Linda

Well, on the very plus size, it is a much bigger cabin, and at that time of year you may appreciate larger inside space - and the balcony will be plenty big! Also good you got the one w/ the overhang - the other looks a tad public for my tastes!

• 13 years later...

Don

How did you find the wind on the sea days? We are looking at booking the same cabin and I saw your thread. I am concerned about the same thing! Any insight you can give about your experience would be appreciated.

How did you find the wind on the sea days? We are looking at booking the same cabin and I saw your thread. I am concerned about the same thing! Any insight you can give about your experience would be appreciated.

You are asking a questions about a message posted 13 years ago.

To answer your question, 10000 is the best room on the ship. We stayed in that room after the recent dry dock on a trip to Quebec. Beautiful forward facing views. Extra room space since it has a "bay window" that follows the contours of the bridge above. Book forward facing suites on Deck 9 if you want a big balcony. Book 10000 or 10500 if you want the extra room space. We have done both.

246800549ebda737f6d63dedbc71c68a.png

2deaf28f702296e8037d0fd2738be548.png

Edited by BirdTravels