Anyone return from 3/24 Star sailing with respiratory infection?

mkazmer

2 days before debarking the March 24th sailing of the Star Princess, my DH started coughing. This turned into a full blown respiratory infection which he in turn imparted to me after we were home.

Anyone else??? And by the way he is still coughing and mine turned into an ear infection.

Respiratory infections, also known as the common cold, are so common I can't imagine why you would want to know if anyone else on your ship had/has one. What about people on the same plane, airport, hotel, ports, etc.?:confused:

Respiratory infections, also known as the common cold, are so common I can't imagine why you would want to know if anyone else on your ship had/has one. What about people on the same plane, airport, hotel, ports, etc.?:confused:
I agree. Any time you have people in an enclosed environment, viruses are easily transmitted. You can catch a virus in port and bring it onboard; there's no way to say whether it's a ship problem although when people do bring it onboard, it spreads fairly easily. I was on a cruise a couple of years ago with so many people with colds and coughs that we joked that it was "kennel cough."

I also agree. When you are traveling you are around people from all over the U.S. or the world who carry germs that you have never been exposed to and haven't built up immunity to.

In January my husband I came home from Las Vegas and two days later came down with coughs. It turned out to be one of the worst respiratory illnesses I've ever had causing me to miss 4 days of work, take two rounds of antibiotics and spend 5 weeks coughing. Let me say that I NEVER get colds, rarely slow down when I don't feel good and get exposed all the time to germs since I am an Xray tech in a hospital. We just had the misfortune to be exposed to "new" germs on our trip.

Rest, drink plenty of fluids and you'll feel better soon.:)

Wait until the Alaska cruise season begins, it seems every single year there is a rash of upper respiratory infections flying through those ships. All it takes is one or two passengers(or crew) boarding that decide they aren't going to miss their vacation or work, to infect many others onboard. Just like it is anywhere, at school, at work, malls. One sick passenger/crew can infect dozens, if not hundreds of others. :(

This is why I bring hand sanitizer everywhere I go. Airplane, ship, into port, grocery shopping, etc. I probably wash my hands 10 times a day unless I've stayed home all day. (Yes I work in healthcare, can you tell?! :D)

We were also on that sailing and thought you might be interested in this posting i did on another thread.

P.S

Many people failed to sanatize their hands before dining in the Horizon Court buffet. We found this quite disturbing and when bringing this to the attention of the waiters we were informed that they were unable to enforce this rule as some passengers felt it offensive and took exception so therefore bypassing the said 'Hand Sanitizer Dispenser' and continuing into the buffet area. I can only feel sorry for any passengers that may have suffered through poor hygeine of those irresponsible passengers that continued to handle the plates, food tongs etc spreading any possible germs.

We were on that sailing of Star and did not return home with a cough or resp infection - I did get some wierd rash on the ship and had to see the doctor about it and get some medications....but that seems to have cleared up now.

About the hand sanitizers - I don't always use them. I am a nurse and have used those alcohol based cleaners 1000's of times - they are so drying to your skin, they really can cause skin breakdown from overuse. BUT, I do wash my hands with soap and water before eating....so if you see someone NOT using the sanitizer, don't assume they are 'dirty', maybe they just washed before coming into the eating area:):)

Wouldn't using the hand sanitizers protect OTHERS from YOU and not the other way around?

I faithfully use them but each time I touch one of the serving spoons I keep wondering what germs have been transferred to my hand.

Wouldn't it work better if the sanitizers were placed so you could use them after you have selected your food?

On several of my cruises there has been this throat and coughing going around.It only takes a couple of folks boarding with this infection to spread their unwelcome gift to many on board.

I too am one of those always washing my hands and also using the hand sanitizers .Have moved away from anyone with a bad incessant cough in the theater and so far never gotten this .

Its inevitable with so many folks in one spot.The hand washing and sanitizers really do help:)

HI all. We were on this cruise and stayed on for the next one. We did not get sick. We did notice not many used the hand sanitizers. We stayed clear for the most part using the buffet. If we did, I always used the sanitizers before and then after handling the serving items. The handrails and elevator buttons are a hot spot for germs. The door handles coming out of the bathrooms. You have to wash and be aware around you without being a germaphobic person.

Common sense prevails. Sorry you got sick. We had a great cruise though! Wonderful staff, good service, fantastic weather, and good food!

All the hand sanitizer in the world is not going to prevent an airborne respiratory virus from finding it's way into your poor unsuspecting lungs. Been there, done that. (I got mine at a Christmas party a few years ago, from the HOST!!) :eek: Was not a happy camper for the next three weeks. :(

Sorry to the OP that you are ill, but as others have said, trying to determine the source is a pretty futile exercise.

interesting thread, you know i encountered a passenger about 2 yrs ago that was in the elevator complaining that there were not enough public restrooms on the ship, ...stated they would never sail princess again due to not enough public restrooms near the MDR etc..

i explained to her that , in fact , princess encourages using the cabin restroom to reduce the spread of germs, it fell on deaf ears, just a puzzled look.....a little off topic but again.....common sense is huge anytime you travel, go to walmart etc.

Archived