Gold and Above to Receive Same Benefits for Dining and Excursion Sign-up

Dreps

I'm gold. I got mine! I'm going first class no matter what I pay for a cabin. Yea!

NUTS! I don't like a class system. Period. As a matter of fact, since there are lots and lots of us in the gold and up status, it will be all that much harder for the second class folks to get the excursions they really want and have paid for.

Question: what's coming next?

Island Cruiser, feel free to postpone booking excursions or dining reservations so that the second class citizens have a better chance. ;)

It has been a long time since I made a dining reservation in advance; I have done it onboard.

I am concerned, though, since I have many friends that are silver, can we make dining reservations with them at the 90 day point? As you have to include all booking numbers?

Dreps, I should have stated in my original message that I am very glad that you posted this information. If I had received the reply that you got from Mark Conroy, I, too, would have posted it on the board. A couple of years ago, I sent an e-mail to Mr. Conroy and he responded very quickly to my question. His response was a large part of the reason that we continued to sail Regent and I posted that on the board. Regardless of how the rest of this thread plays out, I really appreciate that you took the time to write to Regent and also post the results of your correspondence. Thank you!

That's true, but the problem here is that someone will be preventing some of us from getting in line until the privileged others have lined up.

From my tenure on this earth, I figured out a long time ago that someone must be at the end of the line...any line.

Do you have a suggestion to change that process?

(Responder)

"From my tenure on this earth, I figured out a long time ago that someone must be at the end of the line...any line.

Do you have a suggestion to change that process?"

Yes! Don't have a line.

That is the whole purpose of the luxury cruising product

The whole reason the uproar is happening in first place is purely because Regent has decided to add a ill thought out "line".

I am dumbfounded why they want to fix something that wasn't broken in the first place!

Regent has been showing strong, excellent profit announcements now for 3 years.

They have been bragging of 90% occupancy over the same period, as well as the bad strategy of continued overbooking.

This is just plain greed.

Pure and simple.

They are also the only Luxury line to take this direction.

But of course l don't count Cunard in the same cat.

There really is no logic to this at all.

For a large, though not unanimous, cohort of past passengers, it seems that Regent dug themselves a hole by introducing the concierge class concept, and now are trying to dig out of it by extending the same line-jumping privileges to SSS Gold and above.

This may be a reasonable response in terms of appeasing some of Regent's most profitable repeat customers. For others, myself included, regardless of SSS level, it doesn't address concerns about some passengers being relegated to the back of the line for excursions and dining reservations, the costs of which are supposedly baked into the already high prices.

Regent will no doubt still be a good product, but it won't be the same. I think this now creates a lesser incentive to book the next cruise with Regent, and a greater incentive to try one of the other luxury lines. Who knows, maybe one of them will imitate the airlines and try to poach frequent flyers/cruisers by extending elite status based on miles flown/nights cruised on Regent.

Marc and Responder: Marc used a little bit of logic here. If you are hungry, you'll be at the front of the line or will dine early. If you want an excursion, you book at the earliest possible time. Procrastinators tend to be at the end of the line. It is also pure logic that those booking dining reservations first will get the day and time they want. Will everyone get into a specialty restaurant? Probably. . . but will be able to book what is left after the rest of us book.

In many ways, this issue is just silly. If you like the new policy -- fine. If you don't, you don't. CruiseCritic members are from different countries, different cultures, were raised with different values and expectations. We are not going to agree on many things.

Just wonder if any "newbies" have booked Regent because of this new policy. Regent will need some to offset the cancellations.

I must confess I am getting very confused by the latest news from Regent. I am silver , having sailed sbout 42 days. Generally we have sailed in D,E or F so I guess that this is now 'concierge'.

I can understand there may be problems with dining reservations, but if it did affect me I really could not get worked up about it as I have had very average meals on my visits to these venues.

It is the shore excursions where I am having difficulty understanding.

They are certainly not free and all excursions should be availabe to all passengers irrespective of when they have booked. If say 80 people wish to go on a particular trip then provide the transport and guides to accommodate them. If 140 people want to go on the same trip provide more transport and more guides. Whats the problem? The passengers have paid for them. Perhaps somebody can explain why this very simplistic scenario does not work?

Small tour sites such as a museums, monasteries, cultural events cannot handle 140 tours total, never mind from one source. The concept that, "You just add buses" is close to, but not quite, "Let them eat cake."

This "latest change" has taken stupidity to a higher level.

If it were possible to add busses to accommodate demand in all circumstances there would be no problem with the priority reservation system. But, then, it wouldn't be a real perk either, only a foolish perceived perk. The problem with priority reservations is that some of the time the excursions are capacity limited. Adding busses isn't possible. Concierge passengers will be given a better chance at grabbing high demand reservations even though all passengers pay for the excursions.

If say 80 people wish to go on a particular trip then provide the transport and guides to accommodate them. If 140 people want to go on the same trip provide more transport and more guides. Whats the problem? The passengers have paid for them. Perhaps somebody can explain why this very simplistic scenario does not work?

Some venues cannot easily accommodate several bus loads of passengers arriving within minutes of each other. For instance, on a Helmet Diving adventure, people had to wait 2-3 hours for their turn. Some took a taxi back to the ship. If Regent could stagger departure time of the tours, more passengers could be accommodated.

Marc and Responder: Marc used a little bit of logic here. If you are hungry, you'll be at the front of the line or will dine early. If you want an excursion, you book at the earliest possible time. Procrastinators tend to be at the end of the line. It is also pure logic that those booking dining reservations first will get the day and time they want. Will everyone get into a specialty restaurant? Probably. . . but will be able to book what is left after the rest of us book.

In many ways, this issue is just silly. If you like the new policy -- fine. If you don't, you don't. CruiseCritic members are from different countries, different cultures, were raised with different values and expectations. We are not going to agree on many things.

Just wonder if any "newbies" have booked Regent because of this new policy. Regent will need some to offset the cancellations.

I think Marc's comment was humor, not fact. To many of us, cruising is not being first in line and not getting our choices without fail..As numerous posters have indicated..we'll all have a slot and even though it may not always please us...so what...life is like that.

I don't think it makes a lot of difference what we on the board think...it may offer some input to Regent, but why don't we all take a break and let this play out.

If Regent loses enough customers to impact their bottom line, they will know it.

If the new program is successful, they will know it, and unless I could personally look at their bottom line and inner workings, how can I guess what's happening.

It keeps being said that only 5% of Regent's customers are on this board. No idea where the numbers come from or what those who don't post are going to do or who are in the 5%. There isn't a company in the world that doesn't have some churn. After reading the posts from some of you, if I didn't know better, I would suppose the thinking is that if Regent does the right thing, whatever that is, they will never lose a customer...

And finally, a line is a line...where do you go that on occasion you don't wait for your turn. Everyone can't be first in line.

It might not be considered a perk or that exclusive to those who get it. But IMO it could make the the few who do not get it feel like second class.......depending on how much of an effect it actually has on those passengers. It certainly will be interesting to see how this plays out after it goes into effect.

IMO, a "perk" that's available to at least 85% of the pax(and that's a conservative estimate) is not really a perk. Well, at least it's not the exclusive program that Regent purports to have created with the "Concierge"class.

The only way this is a win for Regent is if E and D sell out before H, G, and F. So far, in my anecdotal research, I have not seen this. If Regent still continues to sell H guarantee and G guarantee, then new system is a failure. Regent is just giving away perks and irritating long time customers for no reason. Of course, all the Cat G and H guarantees that do sail in E or D cabins will find out too late to take advantage of early excursion and dining booking; they will just get binocs, blanket, etc.

So, all we really need to do is look at future bookings and see.

This minor change to the new policy does nothing to attract new cruisers like myself. I hope that Regent can sustain itself with only gold members and those in the higher price cabins. They won't be seeing me and others like me.

Silver status, 44 nights, 31 to go for next tier, next cruise is Nov 2011 which will add 16 nights. All I want the same opportunity as every one else to book, call it a level playing field. 2012? Who knows??

I am in a similar position with respect to gold status. Your situation suggests an issue that I doubt Regent has considered. After your November 2011 cruise you will have 60 nights on Regent. Suppose you booked an F, G or H suite on the November 2011 transatlantic cruise from Monte Carlo to Rio. Since that cruise is longer than 15 nights, you would be gold on that cruise. Will Regent then allow you to book excursions 240 days in advance as a gold status passenger or will gold status only begin when the cruise begins?

Dave

The only way this is a win for Regent is if E and D sell out before H, G, and F. So far, in my anecdotal research, I have not seen this. If Regent still continues to sell H guarantee and G guarantee, then new system is a failure. Regent is just giving away perks and irritating long time customers for no reason. Of course, all the Cat G and H guarantees that do sail in E or D cabins will find out too late to take advantage of early excursion and dining booking; they will just get binocs, blanket, etc.

So, all we really need to do is look at future bookings and see.

You're 100% correct.

It might not be considered a perk or that exclusive to those who get it. But IMO it could make the the few who do not get it feel like second class.......depending on how much of an effect it actually has on those passengers. It certainly will be interesting to see how this plays out after it goes into effect.

Barb,

I agree with you, I didn't mean to gloss over the fact that the remaining 15% (or whatever that percentage is, which I suspect could be even lower) will be at a disadvantage. What I was trying to point out is that the "advantage" of being able to book excursions and dining reservations early under the "Concierge" program is drastically diluted since a supermajority of pax share the same "advantage". Therefore , I fail to see the incentive for pax that are not Gold and above to book the standard cabin categories above F.

I am in a similar position with respect to gold status. Your situation suggests an issue that I doubt Regent has considered. After your November 2011 cruise you will have 60 nights on Regent. Suppose you booked an F, G or H suite on the November 2011 transatlantic cruise from Monte Carlo to Rio. Since that cruise is longer than 15 nights, you would be gold on that cruise. Will Regent then allow you to book excursions 240 days in advance as a gold status passenger or will gold status only begin when the cruise begins?

Dave

Dave, you bring up another good point! In fact, if someone is in that position, they should bring it up with their TA. In the scenario you mentioned, the passenger is eligible for Gold perks and should therefore be able to book 240 days in advance.

Another scenario would be someone who is currently Silver and is going this year's transatlantic (Nov. 20 -- 24 nights -- Rome to FLL). They will reach Gold level during their next cruise in April, 2012. When can they book excursions for their April, 2012 cruise?

Someone asked about why we say that only 5% of Regent cruisers are on CruiseCritic. That number has been used since I've been a member. If someone would like to calculate a new number, go for it!

I'm sure that Regent is hoping that this conversation will end soon. IMO, only people who are new to Regent and luxury cruising will find the new perks to be enticing. In addition to being new, it would help if they did not read CruiseCritic and did not study the differences between luxury cruise lines. The people we have spoken to who want to try a luxury line are stretching their budget to do so. Some simply want to try it once for a very special occasion. When we took our first luxury cruise, we booked the lowest category with a Guarantee (on the PG). It seems that a large percentage of people do the same thing. The ideal candidate for Regent are Oceania customers who are used to these type of programs.

I still feel that top management of PCH have amazing foresight and creativity.. .. . in the area of upper level premium cruise lines. In terms of luxury. . . . clueless. Marc Conroy has reportedly been on the Silver Spirit (according to Silversea crew). Has the CEO of PCH or the former President of Oceania stepped foot on another luxury line (in the recent past)? It is doubtful. It is also doubtful if Mr. Conroy came up with this concept.

Everything has already been said about this situation, but I really feel it comes down to the following: Everyone pays the same for the included excursions. We all pay differently for the cabin we are staying in. So, to ask again: Why would I cruise Regent where I am paying for excursions and then people in higher cabins or who have gold status get to book them before me? I prefer the level field. I have missed out on excursions before, but not because others could book a month or more before me. And the excursions with extra cost many times sell out almost immediately. Nope. You can all enjoy Regent. November's sailing is my last with them. My parents and my partner's parents both agree. They aren't sailing Regent again either.

I can accept almost anything else about this concierge program, even the dining reservations. But this excursion thing is what sticks in my craw. Already tried and liked Silversea. Now to try Seabourn.

Someone asked about why we say that only 5% of Regent cruisers are on CruiseCritic. That number has been used since I've been a member. If someone would like to calculate a new number, go for it!

I suppose I mentioned it and I will still ask how this was calculated or who did so. I always thought that this kind of information required a source. I would be interested in seeing that source..

That you have always used the hypothetical number doesn't make it so.

Everything has already been said about this situation, but I really feel it comes down to the following: Everyone pays the same for the included excursions. We all pay differently for the cabin we are staying in. So, to ask again: Why would I cruise Regent where I am paying for excursions and then people in higher cabins or who have gold status get to book them before me? I prefer the level field. I have missed out on excursions before, but not because others could book a month or more before me. And the excursions with extra cost many times sell out almost immediately. Nope. You can all enjoy Regent. November's sailing is my last with them. My parents and my partner's parents both agree. They aren't sailing Regent again either.

I can accept almost anything else about this concierge program, even the dining reservations. But this excursion thing is what sticks in my craw. Already tried and liked Silversea. Now to try Seabourn.

This is the sticky point with me also. I work hard, save my money, and plan carefully. Since I probably will never visit most of the ports again, being able to have a fair chance at booking excursions at the same time as everyone else is important.

Archived