Gold and Above to Receive Same Benefits for Dining and Excursion Sign-up

Dreps

Let's say there are 700 guests on a particular sailing with the existing program.

Now, as some of you say, everyone is equal and the booking time opens up.

Let's further say that a particular excursion only has room for 250 guests.

Who is first and who is last and why? What will change after the new program begins?

Currently, who is first and last is completely dependent upon when you go into the Regent website to make your booking. What will change is that Category "E" and above can can access the website to make their booking 240 days prior to the cruise (lower categories will be locked out until 180 days prior to the cruise).

Repeat this query for dining..room for 50 people at 2 different seatings.

Same answer as above (do not recall how far in advance Category "E" and above can book. . . . but, it is earlier than lower categories.)

Who is first and who is last and why? What will change with the new program?

No matter how you cut it, just as in every other aspect of life...some will get their choices and some will have second choices.

This would be true on a level playing field.

Those who pay more for prime seats at any event, always sit closer to the stage.

We are not talking about theater, sporting events or airplanes. If you want a true comparison, we need to look at luxury cruise lines where paying more simply means you have a larger cabin and your in cabin benefits are higher.

Let's say there are 700 guests on a particular sailing with the existing program.

Now, as some of you say, everyone is equal and the booking time opens up.

Let's further say that a particular excursion only has room for 250 guests.

Who is first and who is last and why? What will change after the new program begins?

After the change, first are the concierege people and if regent goes thru with the rumors, gold and above sss members.

Last are the non-concierege people including bronze and silver sss members.

Currently everyone who has booked has an equal chance when bookings open.

Repeat this query for dining..room for 50 people at 2 different seatings.

Who is first and who is last and why? What will change with the new program?

Same as excursions

No matter how you cut it, just as in every other aspect of life...some will get their choices and some will have second choices.

While this is true, in most cases people have an equal opportunity in choices. In this scenerio, people who have paid exactly the same amount and booked early enough will have second choices, guaranteed.

Those who pay more for prime seats at any event, always sit closer to the stage.

Yes, if you pay more, you should get more of what you paid more for. In regent's case, people booking restaurants and excursions all pay the same thing for these products yet some get second choice and the likelyhood that they will get restaurant reservations at not so good times as well as the likelyhood that popular and/or limited excursions will not be available when the non-concierage people are able to book.

See above in bold for answers and thanks for the questions as they more than make our point.

we are not talking about theater, sporting events or airplanes. If you want a true comparison, we need to look at luxury cruise lines where paying more simply means you have a larger cabin and your in cabin benefits are higher.

huh??

I think that those who are feeling slighted with a program that hasn't yet begun, should simply find other ships to sail on.

As you said, it's your money and your choice.

I hope those first time Regent cruisers won't be swayed by the negative posts as they will certainly miss having a wonderful cruising experience.

For the old timers, I don't see too many out of the possible 100,000 that will cancel or not book because of the negative postings. We have it too good.

The bottom line will rest with Regent. Only time will tell if the sky is really falling...:D

...Now I would like to respectfully inquire as to why you are sailing on Regent since you find such satisfaction with Oceania? Does Regent offer anything above what you receive on Oceania? Am really interested in some details here...

I thought I had covered that in great detail on other threads. It's simple economics. On certain Regent cruises, primarily in the Caribbean and occasionally on transAtlantics and such, Regent fares approach my normal spending limits on Oceania. Combining past guest discounts, booking on board, and TA discounts and credits, I've been able to bring some Regent cruises down to a level below by normal Oceania fares -- which are in standard verandas or even ocean view cabins.

When I'm able to get to that fare level, things like adult beverages, excursions and all other Regent amenities are TRULY free for me, since I get them on Regent and don't get them on Oceania.

If I had to pay more for a Regent cruise. even with the included benefits, I wouldn't -- I prefer Oceania for reasons I have mentioned in the past: the attitude, ambiance, fellow passengers, itineraries and, obviously on Oceania, the food.

Deleted post. I said I was done, but just came home after a nice dinner and a couple (well, ok 3) glasses of wine and weighed in again. Thought about it while washing my face, and said nah, and deleted. Sorry. Really done.

This has been interesting. I can't help but wonder how accurate (or not) the following analogy is: it appears there are people who prefer Pepsi to Coke, but are trying to change Coke into Pepsi. Both sodas are doing well in the market. It'd be a shame of either turned into the other.

I think that those who are feeling slighted with a program that hasn't yet begun, should simply find other ships to sail on.

As you said, it's your money and your choice.

I hope those first time Regent cruisers won't be swayed by the negative posts as they will certainly miss having a wonderful cruising experience.

For the old timers, I don't see too many out of the possible 100,000 that will cancel or not book because of the negative postings. We have it too good.

The bottom line will rest with Regent. Only time will tell if the sky is really falling...:D

Very well said.

Take your own responsabilty. (Make your choice and please stop complaining)

This has been interesting. I can't help but wonder how accurate (or not) the following analogy is: it appears there are people who prefer Pepsi to Coke, but are trying to change Coke into Pepsi. Both sodas are doing well in the market. It'd be a shame of either turned into the other.

I think more apt would be that Coke changed to New Coke but due to the loud protest of the consumer, the company resumed production of "old" Coke. I believe that is why some here are railing so loudly - in hopes of keeping the old Coke.

For the record, I'm willing to spend money according to the value I assign the product.

ededmd hit the nail on the head. I'm willing to let this thread end naturally. Whenever I think I'm done, there are more and more posts. To the poster who called this "complaining" . . . . . welcome to the world of CruiseCritic. For many of us, it is a debate that includes long time Regent customers as well as some posters who haven't stepped foot on a Regent ship as yet.

The posters who feel that some of us are against change do not understand the changes we have accepted the past two years (some excellent changes and some questionable). And, I have no problem whatsoever with most of the concierge program. There are some nice benefits that passengers in categories "E" and above. It is only the discriminatory changes that I object to.

Since Hondorner is reading this from the road, I have a question for him. Don, what is going on with communication at Regent (please check out thread regarding Club Mariner -- the website says one thing, one supervisor agrees with the website and someone else at Regent doesn't). Also, Mark Conroy wrote a letter/email to a poster indicating that Gold and above would not be affected by the concierge program. This has not been announced and is not included in their brochure or website. Communication could clear up so much in these two areas. Thanks.

ededmd hit the nail on the head. I'm willing to let this thread end naturally. Whenever I think I'm done, there are more and more posts. To the poster who called this "complaining" . . . . . welcome to the world of CruiseCritic. For many of us, it is a debate that includes long time Regent customers as well as some posters who haven't stepped foot on a Regent ship as yet.

The posters who feel that some of us are against change do not understand the changes we have accepted the past two years (some excellent changes and some questionable). And, I have no problem whatsoever with most of the concierge program. There are some nice benefits that passengers in categories "E" and above. It is only the discriminatory changes that I object to.

Since Hondorner is reading this from the road, I have a question for him. Don, what is going on with communication at Regent (please check out thread regarding Club Mariner -- the website says one thing, one supervisor agrees with the website and someone else at Regent doesn't). Also, Mark Conroy wrote a letter/email to a poster indicating that Gold and above would not be affected by the concierge program. This has not been announced and is not included in their brochure or website. Communication could clear up so much in these two areas. Thanks.

I am truly mystified by this post. You have what you state as the best luxury ta with connections up the line with regent yet you ask Don who is on the road this question?? Don't understand why you don't ask this super person ta to check with her senior contacts at regent and get the correct answer.

Totally agree that regent is really having communications issues but, that hasn't been unusual the past few years, so why can't this super ta get the straight story in writing from someone at regent who knows?? If that person exists which seem doubtful?? Don is well connected with Prestige Holdings and Oceania but not as well with regent so you ta is probably the best person for the job or isn't she up to the task??

... To the poster who called this "complaining" . . . . . welcome to the world of CruiseCritic. For many of us, it is a debate that includes long time Regent customers as well as some posters who haven't stepped foot on a Regent ship as yet.

I have to admit, I sailed once with Regent (last december on the Voyager) and will happily do so again in July on the Mariner.

But that doesn't change my opinion. If I am not happy with a product, I do not spend my money on it.

Everybody on this board knows your opinion, which you are entitled to. It just makes no sense (IMHO) to repeat it over and over again. That is why I used "complaining". Just get over it and spent your money somewhere else.

I am truly mystified by this post. You have what you state as the best luxury ta with connections up the line with regent yet you ask Don who is on the road this question?? Don't understand why you don't ask this super person ta to check with her senior contacts at regent and get the correct answer.

Totally agree that regent is really having communications issues but, that hasn't been unusual the past few years, so why can't this super ta get the straight story in writing from someone at regent who knows?? If that person exists which seem doubtful?? Don is well connected with Prestige Holdings and Oceania but not as well with regent so you ta is probably the best person for the job or isn't she up to the task??

No comment on most of your post. Can't really explain why, but, Don really is the best person to ask. Sorry to be evasive. . .. and, I understand that this post basically said nothing. I could email Don directly but felt that others would be interested in both the questions and the response.

No comment on most of your post. Can't really explain why, but, Don really is the best person to ask. Sorry to be evasive. . .. and, I understand that this post basically said nothing. I could email Don directly but felt that others would be interested in both the questions and the response.

I think those who are interested have already read the questions and responses. What more do you hope to achieve with re-hashing it over and over?

As I see it, the only evasiveness and intrigue is what you might be involved in.

I think the rest of us merely want to get on the ship and if we have to eat dinner an hour before or after we would like....so what.

ENJOY LIFE NOW, IT HAS AN EXPIRATION DATE

I think those who are interested have already read the questions and responses. What more do you hope to achieve with re-hashing it over and over?

As I see it, the only evasiveness and intrigue is what you might be involved in.

I think the rest of us merely want to get on the ship and if we have to eat dinner an hour before or after we would like....so what.

ENJOY LIFE NOW, IT HAS AN EXPIRATION DATE

You are entitled to your opinon as to why some of are or are not posting. Why are you still reading this if it's so upsetting?:confused:

You are entitled to your opinon as to why some of are or are not posting. Why are you still reading this if it's so upsetting?:confused:

It's not upsetting at all...I'm laughing as I'm on my way to the port. :)

Very well said.

Take your own responsabilty. (Make your choice and please stop complaining)

It's called "Cruise CRITIC" - thus you get complaints and also praise - readers have access to a lot of information and they can make their own conclusions.

We want ALL opinions and minimal censorship!

...Don, what is going on with communication at Regent...

Beats me -- I'm as much at a loss as Dave as to why you think I know anything about what the reps say as opposed to the web site -- I have never communicated directly with Regent, have never met Mark Conroy, and haven't talked to anyone at PCH since I left the Marina Inaugural voyage on Feb 26 -- not do they consult with me. :rolleyes:

I will say in general that 99% of conflicts concerning what any telephone rep says are due to what they are paid...

Beats me -- I'm as much at a loss as Dave as to why you think I know anything about what the reps say as opposed to the web site -- I have never communicated directly with Regent, have never met Mark Conroy, and haven't talked to anyone at PCH since I left the Marina Inaugural voyage on Feb 26 -- not do they consult with me. :rolleyes:

I will say in general that 99% of conflicts concerning what any telephone rep says are due to what they are paid...

My question was simply because the communication issue with Regent (and perhaps Oceania -- don't know), comes from the very top management of PCH. Anyway, enjoying reading about your travels.:)

Do I have an opinion?

Of course I do. However, In view of the fact that my opinion has been stated using different words by others numerous times here, I have felt no need to add to, or pile on to, depending on one's point of view, the "body of knowledge" that has been building here over the course of, at last count, 3 different threads.

But since you asked so nicely, I'll bite, although I hate like heck that my biting is topping this thread once again. I beg the indulgence of all of you regulars and lurkers who are *sighing* once again.

Here are my opinions:

1. I don't mind this concierge program. I don't for one minute consider it to be the beginning of any more of a class system than already exists on Regent and other cruise lines (luxury, premium, and even lowly mass), or for that matter, any number of travel modes. For the record, I will not be booking in the concierge category because for me, the value of what is included is not that important to me.

2. I consider this move by Regent to be a business move to increase revenue, nothing more, nothing less. In fact, I consider it to be a smart move on the part of Regent. From a business standpoint, I applaud Regent for making a sweep back through to see if any money is left on the table. For that matter, I think the more money Regent makes, the better my experience will be, albeit non-concierge level.

3. Now, and you're going to love this part, TC, I would be livid at the thought that I would pay for "free excursions" that I wouldn't be able to get, or if I were unable to book "an included" restaurant.

But you know what? I don't think for a second that is going to happen. As a person with business experience, I don't believe the executive management of Regent would shoot themselves in the foot like that. I believe they will simply add to the excursions as need be. As for the restaurant, hey, when you pay more, you should be entitled to extra privileges. . .perhaps I won't get the exact day I want, but that happens to me on land at times. I also happen to think that if I ask very nicely and say that, for instance, "Tuesday is my anniversary and we so want to dine in the restaurant tonight," that I will get in. I think that is part of the luxury experience.

4. And finally, I usually subscribe to the generally accepted business principle that it costs less to keep a current customer than it is to get a new one, but with the current population expansion (explosion. . .ugh) and personal wealth increases, I don't think that Regent will have any problem filling their ships, even if 99% of the current Cruise Critic participants on Regent never book another cruise.

Sometimes I even think that it's very costly to keep the "old-guard" customers because while they fancy themselves to be "cheerleaders," in reality they scare off new, potential customers because of their tremendous desire to maintain the status quo. They go about engaging in passive-aggressive campaigns, and all that that entails.

If I were Regent I wouldn't give such people a second thought. I'd just focus on the new coming in. Trust me, a great percentage of the "new customers" will love it, even if God forbid, they're inexperienced in luxury traveling. There will always be a certain percentage that will be unhappy. . .no matter what.

So, there you have it. My opinion.

Thanks mimito4. I don't have cc on speed dial for email or whatever, and only check in once in awhile on cc anymore since it has become so negative due to this and a couple of other threads, which actually are driving me away from my interest in this board, and I've been here for a long time. It used to be about helping new cruisers to Regent Like someone said before on another thread, this one has outlived its usefulness (contrary to what TC will likely post) All opinions have been posted, and now they are just repeated again and again by the same people. I wish Host Dan would take note.

Archived