Embassy Suites 1100 SE or Sleep Inn 1500 SE Fort Lauderdale?

catz821

We stayed at Sleep Inn Dania in just a few weeks ago (Is that the one you're asking about?).

Nothing fancy, but clean, inexpensive and the staff was very friendly and helpful.

Just right across the street is a pharmacy (Walgreens I think), grocery store and several restaurants.

Would stay there again.

Strikes me as a hard comparison between a budget hotel and a full service large hotel. I would rather stay at the Embassy Suites, but it also typically costs quite a bit more. I've read good reviews on both, so it depends on what you like in a hotel. Not sure what you are after as far as shopping, but both have a Publix next door and some other smaller stores and restaurants. The Embassy just has more around it. Personally, without a car, I like the Embassy's location better with more to see and do within a half mile.

We've stayed at both. The Embassy Suites was great and extremely convenient for picking up last minute items to take on the cruise. We had planned to stay at the Comfort Suites both before and after a cruise years ago, and actually changing our return reservation because we did not find it acceptably clean.

It depends on what you mean by dining and shopping. Sleep Inn is next to grocery, drug, very casual Mexican and Italian (strip center) restaurants. If that's all you want, the Sleep Inn is fine. If you are looking for many more dining choices, a great wine store, grocery, drug, and Ross, stay at ES. Neither hotel is near a lot of stores.

Would like opinions on these hotels for a precruise stay? We won't have a car so I need dining and shopping within walking distance. Thanks for the info.

Stay at ES. You can walk to several restaurants, stores and it is a much more tourist friendly area.

• 3 weeks later...
It depends on what you mean by dining and shopping. Sleep Inn is next to grocery, drug, very casual Mexican and Italian (strip center) restaurants. If that's all you want, the Sleep Inn is fine. If you are looking for many more dining choices, a great wine store, grocery, drug, and Ross, stay at ES. Neither hotel is near a lot of stores.

Hi Royalcruz. We are staying at the Embassy Suites 17th Street. Where do you recommend we go for dinner within walking distance of the hotel? Thanks for your help.

PS - We don't like Outback Steakhouse. :)

Hi Royalcruz. We are staying at the Embassy Suites 17th Street. Where do you recommend we go for dinner within walking distance of the hotel? Thanks for your help.

I am not an Outback fan either, there is also Five Guy's burger and fry's, Irish pub, pizza place, Tropical Smoothie cafe, Moe's and Chucks Steakhouse.

Cold Stone Creamery was also close by if you just wanted to walk and get dessert. I saw all of this while on foot within a mile of the hotel.

Patty

I'm curious as well. Has anyone been to Kelly's Landing or 15th St. Fisheries? We're looking for good seafood.

We have been to Kelly's Landing and in our opinion it was terrific. Lobsters for the DH and a prime rib sammie for me. Staff was very warm and friendly. It is a fairly small place and tables are close but enjoyable just the same.

Sorry to divert the thread....

We are booked for ES for 2 nights prior to cruising. We are two families including 4 teens. We're not renting a car. We would like to walk to the beach or possibly take the trolley. I've been researching and it's hard to find details. Can anyone provide some ES details/logistics?

Thanks so much in advance!!

I don't like Outback either. Market 17 is excellent but pricey. I like Bimini Boatyard though I've heard mixed reviews lately. Taza is good if you want Mediterranean food and belly dancers. Bistro Mezzaluna and Grateful Palette have excellent reputations. If you just want an inexpensive casual meal in a huge sports bar & grill atmosphere, Duffy's (behind the hotel in Harbor Shops) is a good pick. If you want Lobster in a casual setting, Kelly's is very popular. 15th St Fisheries is less than a mile walk and has good food, although the place is old-fashioned.

Sorry to divert the thread....

We are booked for ES for 2 nights prior to cruising. We are two families including 4 teens. We're not renting a car. We would like to walk to the beach or possibly take the trolley. I've been researching and it's hard to find details. Can anyone provide some ES details/logistics?

Thanks so much in advance!!

The Sun Trolley stops just outside the Embassy Suites Hotel. It will take you to the beach. The beach has a nice boardwalk with many tourist stores. The Embassy Hotel has information on the Sun Trolley, that includes a map, on their website. We plan to stay at the Embassy (again) in July, and plan to visit the beach via the Trolley.

Would like opinions on these hotels for a precruise stay? We won't have a car so I need dining and shopping within walking distance. Thanks for the info.

it depends on what's your budget,,,if you are looking for an affordable hotel for one night stay, the Sleep Inn is a good option ( very affordable and clean )

The Embassy Suites is more expensive, but it's a nice hotel , has a better location, close to a lot of restaurants...

Sleepless - thanks for the info! Hard to tell what's on the beach so I appreciate the info. Any other suggestions with activities? Is the water taxi entertaining enough for teens? What about a dinner cruise?

Thanks again for your input!

NativeTexan

What kind of price can I expect to pay at Embassy suites? Thinking about staying there next May before cruise. Have always done the comfort inn thing, just like to upgrade next trip..Thanks

Before you book, get a Hilton Hhonors number and check prices on hiltonfamilymvp.com. The MVP rate is often better than the prepay rate, and you can cancel and rebook if the price drops.

Thanks for this thread. Our group of 17 has actually just decided to move from the Spring Hill Suites to the Embassy Suites. The rooms appear to be bigger and the breakfast better. Also, there are more options for dinner and shopping. Thanks again!

Before you book, get a Hilton Hhonors number and check prices on hiltonfamilymvp.com. The MVP rate is often better than the prepay rate, and you can cancel and rebook if the price drops.

if you go thru the regular Hilton website to book a room, enter the below code on the corporate line... it will give the MVP rate that royalcruz mentions which is the best one I've seen..

MVP Hampton®, Doubletree® and Embassy Suites® hotels

Corp.

If you turn left at the Walgreens in front of the Sleep Inn, it is a lovely 40-45 minute walk to Ft. Lauderdale beach. We are early risers and enjoyed this time prior to taking the free shuttle to the port. This was actually one of the highlights of our vacation, especially for my husband.

We also like the fact that the grocery store is across the street. We had a microwave in the room, so we bought a couple Lean Cuisines for supper while enjoying a movie. We knew we were going to eat way too much on the Oasis so this was a perfect way to go.

There is a wonderful pool and a free breakfast before heading to the cruiseship. In today's economy, it is awesome to be able to save some money AND have a wonderful time. The Sleep Inn enables you to do that.

Archived