SHONA BLAIR, NCL CRUISE DIRECTOR, Resigns

cruiseguys2009

I see you were on the same sailing of the Dawn as I was back in February 2009. John Ibrahim did a fantastic job as CD on that cruise, but I didn't fully appreciate it until I experienced 2 other so-so cruise directors on NCL.

We really didn't have much to with the CD, he was very annoying for bingo announcements :). I do believe he came to our M&G though. I do have to say there were less bingo announcements on the Star this past April. I actually seen more and spoke more to our CD on this last cruise. I can't really say either one were good or bad since they both seem friendly enough when I spoke to them, and did well as MCing anything with some well place humor. Although the one from our last cruise I over heard a couple of people saying she was terrible (didn't quite know what they meant either), I thought she was fine.

But both of my cruises were fantastic and I really have nothing negative to say about either of them, except the darn things didn't last long enough :cool:

On every single cruise I have been on listed below, I can tell you who the Cruise Director was. Plus, I have long lasting friendships with many of them. But thats just me, I am a "People" person and my lifes motto is to "Have as much fun as possible and take as many people with me as I can".

I think this is a great attitude and exemplifies "You get what you give" in several ways.

Can we please get back to the topic at hand?

Shona Blair was a memorable and talented Lady, who happens to have one of the most endearing personalities and while on board her ship, talked with everyone, knew most everyone's name and is going to be missed.

I am sorry that on other cruises, your (LoveOverboard) Cruise Director did not meet your expectations.

On every single cruise I have been on listed below, I can tell you who the Cruise Director was. Plus, I have long lasting friendships with many of them. But thats just me, I am a "People" person and my lifes motto is to "Have as much fun as possible and take as many people with me as I can".

There are many impressionable Cruise Directors out there. I simply wanted to pay homage to one talented Lady that many of us sailed with who made a sincere impression of NCL quality. Not garner opinions of those who have a disdane or dislike of Cruise Directors in general.

Now can we please get back to the topic of Shona Blair?

Yeah! Being back in topic, I think there is one more reason ... the day Shona quit was the day Norwegian Sun departed Port Canny on a repositioning cruise to Copenhagen across the pond.

Norwegian Sun was in the news today in Bermuda - here's the link in case you are interested. Hope the gal recovers well in our hospital.

http://www.royalgazette.com/article/20110426/NEWS/704269985

I'm not saying this to be snarky, but aren't the activities/entertainment on most sailings decided by headquarters? I mean, every cruise has the same bingo, the same not so newlywed game, the same trivia, the same white party, etc. etc.

I'm not saying this to be snarky, but aren't the activities/entertainment on most sailings decided by headquarters? I mean, every cruise has the same bingo, the same not so newlywed game, the same trivia, the same white party, etc. etc.

I believe this says it all. The entertainment, games and programs are decided by corporate. The CD is a fancy MC and nothing more. They rarely ever make or break a cruise. Some like to meet and "hang out" with them and that's fine if it makes you happy. However, I've never had one make me want to dance any more or less nor do I play any games that I would not normally play based on who the CD is. They are certainly not the superstars of NCL nor do I think you will ever find one making a 6 figure salary. They are the "voice" of NCL on the cruise.;)

From what I have seen yes very similar, we didn't have the not so newlywed game on our Dawn cruise, we had a family feud game. But each week the schedule does change to some degree. So I would have to assume the cruise director is responsible for scheduling as I've stated in an above post.

But if you read the posts above you will see where it was explained to me, how the cruise director can set the mood of some people's cruise. Therefore this particular CD that some had the pleasure of sailing with was very much a big part of their wonderful cruise experience.

Is corporate doing the day to day scheduling and printing the Freestyle daily and flying it out to the ship every evening? :D

Yes, corporate does the hiring but the CD has to figure how best to utilize the talent that is sent to them. ;)

PE

I believe this says it all. The entertainment, games and programs are decided by corporate. The CD is a fancy MC and nothing more. They rarely ever make or break a cruise. Some like to meet and "hang out" with them and that's fine if it makes you happy. However, I've never had one make me want to dance any more or less nor do I play any games that I would not normally play based on who the CD is. They are certainly not the superstars of NCL nor do I think you will ever find one making a 6 figure salary. They are the "voice" of NCL on the cruise.;)

Really??? I assume you have held the position to speak so frankly as to how it is done.

PE

Cruise Directors make between $2,500 to $7,500 US per month depending on their experience, the cruiseline and the specific ship. So the absolute top salary for this position is currently $90,000. But the vast majority of CD's make considerably less than that. They usually start out in an entry level job as cruise staff or a performer that pays around $1,600 per month to start and then work their way into an Assistant CD position that tops out around $36,000 per year. Then the few Asst. CD's who do really well, go on to become CD. For the entertainment field, where most only make $14,000 - $20,000 per year, if that, being a CD is a good living.

http://www.cruiselinesjobs.com/job-descriptions-entertainment-jobs/

Shona was our CD on the Jewel last September. Very nice lady. Too bad things couldn't get worked out.

Is this NCL's way of cutting salaries???

Our bartender told us her husband had to take a lower position and a pay cut or be laid off as they said they were cutting positions on board a lot of the ships.

Corporate manipulation of the numbers to report to stockholders?????

Don't know if she was on the top of that pay scale but that woman was every where all the time and then hosting all the late night parties. She must be able to sleep standing up for quick naps in between all the activities she was involved in.

Shona was our CD on the Jewel last September. Very nice lady. Too bad things couldn't get worked out.

Is this NCL's way of cutting salaries???

Our bartender told us her husband had to take a lower position and a pay cut or be laid off as they said they were cutting positions on board a lot of the ships.

Corporate manipulation of the numbers to report to stockholders?????

Don't know if she was on the top of that pay scale but that woman was every where all the time and then hosting all the late night parties. She must be able to sleep standing up for quick naps in between all the activities she was involved in.

No stockholders to report to. Any other conspiracy theories?

PE

But if you read the posts above you will see where it was explained to me, how the cruise director can set the mood of some people's cruise. Therefore this particular CD that some had the pleasure of sailing with was very much a big part of their wonderful cruise experience.

Thank you for your insight. Yes Shona created an atmosphere of participation and lively entertainment. She was more involved with the Guest during the week. And funny too.

Thank you for your comment.

Cruise Directors make between $2,500 to $7,500 US per month depending on their experience, the cruiseline and the specific ship. So the absolute top salary for this position is currently $90,000. But the vast majority of CD's make considerably less than that. They usually start out in an entry level job as cruise staff or a performer that pays around $1,600 per month to start and then work their way into an Assistant CD position that tops out around $36,000 per year. Then the few Asst. CD's who do really well, go on to become CD. For the entertainment field, where most only make $14,000 - $20,000 per year, if that, being a CD is a good living.

http://www.cruiselinesjobs.com/job-descriptions-entertainment-jobs/

tks for the reply! I would live to make 40k+ and not have any real bills.. They live on the ship no rent no need for a fancy car no gas to comute back and forth to work.. and meals included If they dont waste there $$ in ports they could really save alot of $$ for retirment! They few cruises i have been on The CD were very had workers! and earned there paychecks!

Well, if you compare the Dailys of the Gem, the Jewel and the Pearl, I am willing to bet they are very similiar even though there are three different CDs. I am not talking hiring or talent as much as general program.

Is corporate doing the day to day scheduling and printing the Freestyle daily and flying it out to the ship every evening? :D

Yes' date=' corporate does the hiring but the CD has to figure how best to utilize the talent that is sent to them. ;)

PE

[/color']

Well, if you compare the Dailys of the Gem, the Jewel and the Pearl, I am willing to bet they are very similiar even though there are three different CDs. I am not talking hiring or talent as much as general program.

Im sure NCL corp. sets the standards But its the CD job to carry them out and to excel.. NCL Corp isnt on every single ship every single sailing thats why they have the captain CD and other officers to make sure the quality of each cruise is carried out to the max..

I thought Shona was a great CD, up front and very visible. Always with a smile!

Sorry to see her go. Got to love a CD who wants everyone to have a great time.

Best of luck and a happy life to you!

2120340000051977359S425x425Q85.jpg

I guess this is where I post that I don't remember the name of any of the CD's on any of my ships, and really couldn't care less who they are when I book in the future.

Good luck to this Shona person, just as I wish good luck to all of you.

That is a great picture of Shona. Yes, we certainly do wish her well. She will excell in anything she chooses to do in the future.

I thought it was a nice picture of her too. I had more, but can't seem to find them on this computer.

I'm having a great time reading 'The Suite Life of the Dawn Queen on The Dawn Fool's Cruise 3-28-09'!!! It's a really fun review and I still have a long way to go with it. I love hearing/reading about people with great attitudes who like to have fun! Loved the story about the stairway and tuxedo!!! :D

I thought it was a nice picture of her too. I had more, but can't seem to find them on this computer.

I'm having a great time reading 'The Suite Life of the Dawn Queen on The Dawn Fool's Cruise 3-28-09'!!! It's a really fun review and I still have a long way to go with it. I love hearing/reading about people with great attitudes who like to have fun! Loved the story about the stairway and tuxedo!!! :D

That was a couple of years ago and I never finished it, it was so fun writing that review......I still have all the notes, but so much time has passed, I should finish it.

Check out my new 2011 review about the Norwegian Sun.....and Shona Blair! We had a blast and I do tell it like it is!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1386170

That was a couple of years ago and I never finished it, it was so fun writing that review......I still have all the notes, but so much time has passed, I should finish it.

Check out my new 2011 review about the Norwegian Sun.....and Shona Blair! We had a blast and I do tell it like it is!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1386170

I'll will definietely read that one next!!! I'm only on post #102 on the other one. You're going to have to finish it now so I'll have an ending to the story. I have a tendency not to finish writing my reviews. I guess it's too many martini's by the last few days!:eek::D

For the most part I don't remember too much who my cruise directors were nor does it influence the basis of which ship I sail. I do remember one that was excellent on one of my Carnival cruises. That particular guy was talented, entertaining, kept the flow going between acts, knew how to get people involved in activities and kept the pace going on things.

The best I can compare it to is if you go to a wedding & there is a great M.C. This person does the intros, knows how to get people up to dance right from the get-go, reads the crowd & knows what will keep them involved, when it's time to slow things down, and provides the perfect mix of songs keeping 80 year old Aunt Sally happy while appealing to 20 year old Alli. Sometimes if you consistently get good ones then you don't notice how well they do their job until you get one that is terrible....and you see a half empty dance floor & people sitting there thinking when is someone taking charge & getting this party started.

I have traveled with NCL 4x to Bermuda, the first 2 cruises were great. There was something for everyone, there were the traditional game shows, evening shows, bingo and pool side games. However there were enrichment classes.. I recall taking a handwriting class, and a craft course of some sort. NOt to mention a cooking demonstration and some spa classes... created to help boost the spa's sales. The second cruise the director was dynamic.( and I did not appreciate him until my last cruise!) He encouraged his staff to mingle some with passengers during the trip, they checked in to see if we were having a good time and to shared things coming up that we should try, there was also a Celtic theme ....which was a surprise but a real treat with step dancers, bagpipers and more. This was by far the my favorite cruise. No, the staff did not become my best friends, nor did I expect them to "make my trip", but I did appreciate that they took the time to speak and mingle. It was a great personal touch. I love the fact that I could choose to be busy with fun things all day long, or make the choice to go to the coffee bar area to read. I loved talent show put on by cruise staff, what a wonderfully talented group! I seem to recall the talent show only occured on one trip.

My last cruise was almost a year ago out of Maryland and I have never been so bored in my life. During the day there was Bingo, Wii golf and the morning crosswords. There was a Mr Sexy Legs or Mr Hairy chest contest as well as ice carving and the tradition smoothy sampling plus the evening shows and kariokee.(sp) There were no enrichment classes, a crew member did paper folding but alas he was not comfortable teaching or interacting with those in the class. Thankfully I had 3 books with me and met some awesome passengers to break up the day.

After my last cruise I have developed a strong respect for a good cruise director, one who manages their staff well,and successfully plans a variety of daily events for a large but varied group of people and ages. It does make a difference. The job when done well takes more skill than just being able to MC a show.

Archived