Mini Fridge?

suek113

I am thinking of getting a mini fridge for our cabin. It is a normal outside cabin and the cost is $2 per day. The ship is the Veendam. Has anyone done this? Is it too big for a regular size cabin? Any help could be appreciated. Thanks!:confused::confused:

If you can imagine the kneehole under the desk, then that's the approximate size of the mini-fridge. And that's where it's usually put, too. Some people have been said to have it placed on the desk, and there is room to do that on the S-class ships (for most outside cabins), but it does take up valuable space to toss "stuff".

Okay, very small. Does it come with items in it? I am just looking for a space for a few cans of soda and water. I'd prefer it was not stocked with anything. Afraid my DH will think the stuff is free. :0

Does it come with items in it? I am just looking for a space for a few cans of soda and water.

You can rent it empty, then fill it with your own things. There's space for what you're planning.

On one ship my cabin was so hot that I put my ice bucket in the fridge to keep the ice solid longer.

You can rent it empty, then fill it with your own things. There's space for what you're planning.

On one ship my cabin was so hot that I put my ice bucket in the fridge to keep the ice solid longer.

Ruth, that must have been one hot room! I'm hoping that does not happen to me. Thanks for the info.:D

I don't think I even want to know which cabin or which ship !:eek:

RuthC,

Was this on the Volendam?

No. The S- and R-class ships don't have a fridge in the inside (or outside, for that matter) cabins. And I book insides.

Carol posted she didn't want to know which ship, so I didn't say. ;) (but I'm pretty sure she wanted to know that it wasn't the Maasdam.)

No. The S- and R-class ships don't have a fridge in the inside (or outside, for that matter) cabins. And I book insides.

Carol posted she didn't want to know which ship, so I didn't say. ;) (but I'm pretty sure she wanted to know that it wasn't the Maasdam.)

Good guess, Ruth !:)

Hey Ruth. You seem to be a go to person here for HAL enquiries. Mind if I ask a few questions?

If I remember correctly you just did an Australian on HAL. We are booked for 58 days on Zandaam Nov 25/11.

First of all, how was that long flight? I think you had an LA stopover?

We are travelling from the most easterly point in North America so ours is gonna be extra long.

Because it is a special celebration for us I booked Business all the way (on Aeroplan Points!!!). One of our flights (Chicago to Seoul) is 14 hours in the air & another (Seoul to Sydney) is 10. We are on Asiana, which is supposed to be 5 star, with these seats,

http://www.flatseats.com/Gallery/OZ-1.htm

so I am actually looking forward to it believe it or not.

Here are our itineraries;

http://www.hollandamerica.com/find-cruise-vacation/CruiseDetails.action?destCode=&portCode=&shipCodeSearch=AA&durationCode=&dateCode=11_2011&flexibleMonths=false&noOfFlexibleMonths=1&pageNumber=1&voyageCode=X177A&webItineraryIdForAudit=PSF128

http://www.hollandamerica.com/find-cruise-vacation/CruiseDetails.action?destCode=&portCode=&shipCodeSearch=AA&durationCode=&dateCode=12_2011&flexibleMonths=false&noOfFlexibleMonths=1&pageNumber=1&voyageCode=X183A&webItineraryIdForAudit=OI1H30

Just some general questions;

- What stood out for you & what was disappointing (if that's possible)?

- Anything we should be aware of that suprised you?

- Any recommendations or do not do's on specific ports/hotels/tours?

- What should we expect of the Zandaam? (we have seen very conflicting reviews)

- What do you suggest for money in each country as far as different currencies go?

- Any other suggestions?

Feel free to chime in here if anyone else has suggestions/ideas.

Hey Ruth. You seem to be a go to person here for HAL enquiries. Mind if I ask a few questions?

If I remember correctly you just did an Australian on HAL. We are booked for 58 days on Zandaam Nov 25/11.

First of all, how was that long flight? I think you had an LA stopover?

We are travelling from the most easterly point in North America so ours is gonna be extra long.

Because it is a special celebration for us I booked Business all the way (on Aeroplan Points!!!). One of our flights (Chicago to Seoul) is 14 hours in the air & another (Seoul to Sydney) is 10. We are on Asiana, which is supposed to be 5 star, with these seats,

http://www.flatseats.com/Gallery/OZ-1.htm

so I am actually looking forward to it believe it or not.

I flew coach from RI to Los Angeles, with a layover in Las Vegas. That flight was fine. I stayed overnight in LA, with an 11:00 PM non-stop, business class, to Auckland. This made it 2 time changes of 3 hours each, and was not too bad. I had three days in Auckland to recover, and really needed two, at most.

Flying business made a big difference in how I felt, I'm sure.

I flew home non-stop from Singapore to Newark, NJ; it was a 19-hour flight which crossed 12 time zones. Again, it was business class, and that made it so much more than bearable. When I arrived in Newark I was really too tired to eat dinner, forced myself to stay awake until 9:00 PM, and slept for 10 1/2 hours.

I had no jet lag what-so-ever! :) The "bed" in your plane looks to be even nicer than mine was.

Your itineraries are a mixture of mine, with many additions. I sailed from Auckland, down the north island, to the south island, over to Tasmania, Australia, up the east coast, to Indonesia, ending in Singapore.

The north island was hot, south island cool. Australia was brutally hot, and it didn't get any better in Indonesia and Singapore.

The thing to keep in mind is that you can't do as much in that heat/humidity as you are used to doing in eastern Canada weather. It's too draining. Plan accordingly to scale back what you think you will be able to see and do.

Just some general questions;

- What stood out for you & what was disappointing (if that's possible)?

A HAL tour in Tasmania took me to an animal preserve where I held a wombat, petted a Tasmanian Devil (on the rump; don't go near the mouth!), saw some kangaroos up close and personal. That was so neat! :D

In Brisbane I went out to the Lone Pine animal preserve. This is the only place you get a chance to hold a koala. There's a charge, but the money goes back to keeping the preserve, well, preserved. After they take the picture, your party can take as many photos as they want, with your camera. You don't have to purchase the picture they took.

Again, this was a highlight for me.

Oh, you can also hold a snake here. :rolleyes:

Disappointments? Can't think of any.

- Anything we should be aware of that suprised you?

The traffic in Indonesia! It's beyond awful. And it appears the traffic "laws" are merely "suggestions".

They drive on the left, as in England, except sometimes they aren't going too far, so it isn't worth crossing traffic, then crossing back, so they just travel on the wrong side of the street for a while. :eek:

Go with a HAL tour, or a tour guide you trust, then close your eyes until you get where you're going.

- Any recommendations or do not do's on specific ports/hotels/tours?

At Hamilton Island I took the HAL tour to Daydream Island Resort. I wouldn't do that again. I had a blast swimming in one of the pools, but other than that there was nothing to do. Lunch was "all right", but not nearly as good as the ship's Lido buffet.

DO NOT fail to go to the King Neptune ceremony. Go early, get a good seat, and enjoy. It is fun, Fun, FUN!

Oh, and if you're a polliwog, kiss the fish. You are only a polliwog once. Don't let the opportunity pass you by. :D

- What should we expect of the Zandaam? (we have seen very conflicting reviews)

I was on the Volendam, and haven't been on the Zaandam since October, 2006, so can't help you much there.

Except to say that since the ships have identical layout, find a favorite spot on an outside deck, and make it your home. And on the day sailing the fjords, do spend most of the day outdoors, and do go to various decks.

- What do you suggest for money in each country as far as different currencies go?

- Any other suggestions?

I got some New Zealand currency while in Auckland, just to have a little, then gave the remainder to the NZ Red Cross for Christchurch. Since I take HAL tours, I really didn't need much cash.

In Australia I used credit cards, and in Indonesia I rode along on a friend's currency, then paid her back in US dollars. In Singapore I used credit cards, and tipped in US dollars; they're easily converted there.

Remember, in NZ and Australia, you aren't expected to tip. It's difficult to get used to at first, then hard to switch back when in the tipping culture again.

Feel free to chime in here if anyone else has suggestions/ideas.

Hope that helped some.

Hope that helped some.

Thanks for taking the time & the great info Ruth. Sounds like you had a great experience!

I am suprised at the heat/humidity you experienced at that time of year.

I checked this info for Dec/Jan and, while I expect it to be quite hot in certain areas, I didn't think it would be unbearable for extended periods.

The traffic in Indonesia! It's beyond awful. Go with a HAL tour, or a tour guide you trust, then close your eyes until you get where you're going....sounds exciting!!!

Anyway, thanks again. I didn't mean to hijack this thread.

We too are considering a fridge so the possibilty of heat like that makes me think we should.

Archived