London Tour incl. Lunch at Harrods

oshawa

Could someone advise if the luncheon at Harrods adheres to a dress code or can it be casual? I don't want to be out of place wearing track shoes and a track suit but do opt for comfort.I need the track shoes for lots of walking!

The dress code on their website states

" We would also ask that visitors refrain from wearing clothing which may reveal intimate parts of the body, or which portrays offensive pictures or writing, as well as refraining from wearing crash helmets in the store. In particular the code does not permit any person entering the store who is wearing high cut, Bermuda or beach shorts, swimwear, bare midriffs, athletic singlets, cycling shorts or general sporting attire, bare feet, flip flops or thong sandals or any extremes of personal presentation."

I don't know if they would consider a track suit to be sporting attire but it might not be worth the risk.

Do they have a problem with people wearing "crash helmets" in the store?

Generally, when I eat, I always like to wear a crash helmet...just in case a food fight breaks out and someone throws a turkey leg or a scone at my noggin...You don't know how many injuries are caused daily by hurled scones in British lunch rooms...You could be sitting there, minding your own business, enjoying a sandwich when, suddenly, from out of nowhere, some loon heaves a stale scone at your head...I say better to be safe than sorry...

:) :) :)

Could someone advise if the luncheon at Harrods adheres to a dress code or can it be casual? I don't want to be out of place wearing track shoes and a track suit but do opt for comfort.I need the track shoes for lots of walking!

Avoid Harrods. There are much nicer shops in London. I would heartily recommend Fortnum & Mason - where Brenda buys her groceries.

WD

Avoid Harrods. There are much nicer shops in London. I would heartily recommend Fortnum & Mason - where Brenda buys her groceries.

WD

Where in London is Fortnum & Mason? Is it like Harrods?

Yep, they do. It's a fairly common request in London; there are often signs next to entrances to stores asking people to remove crash (motorbike) helmets before entering.

Armed robbers tend to wear them during robberies; as a result stores (as well as currency exchange places, banks and building societies) get really jumpy when someone walks in wearing one. Asking folks to remove them before entering reduces some of the angst caused by innocent bikers and couriers :)

http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=%22armed+robbery%22+%22crash+helmet

Mands

Um, I think you missed the smiley. ;)

Nope, saw the smiley :)

Happy to be corrected but as far as I'm aware the helmet=robbery is much more of a UK thing than most other places so the 'no helmets' signage is common in UK cities but a bit of a rarity in other parts of the world. Therefore the no helmets looks a little strange, particularly alongside 'no flipflops, no shorts etc'.

Absolutely not a problem where I am now as the law requires people on motorbikes to carry a helmet, but doesn't specify that they must be worn :)

Mands

Thank you for all the responses. I will be wearing my track suit (not a slovenly affair) so I should be well received at Harrod's. No helmet though!

Enjoy Harrod's dining. We have done that twice. Great fun! Classy room and location. Plus, lots of other interesting things to see in and around this large story. I wouldn't worry too much about the shoes you are wearing. Below are some of my visual highlights to share.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. This posting is now over 38,935 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

At Harrods, the Georgian Restaurant is on the Fourth Floor
 with its elegant dining. They have a la carte, carvery 
and buffet lunches, plus their famous afternoon teas. Once when there, we enjoyed the Royal Strings that were the favorite musical performers for the Queen Mother.:

LondHarrodDinRm2.jpg

Harrod's unique Food Hall has lots to see and eat:

HarrodsFoodH.jpg

Harrods has unqiue interior displays and designs:

LondHarrInterior.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Where in London is Fortnum & Mason? Is it like Harrods?

Harrods is a department store covering half a dozen floors where you can buy literally anything from food to pets to fashion to toys. Also great eating spots in the food hall (Oyster bar/Pizza parlour with singing chefs/gelateria/sushi bar etc) Best seen at night when it is fully lit and an amazing sight (although if too late in the evening it will be closed!). Think Macy's/Bloomingdales but a lot more expensive and architectually very impressive. Certainly worth a visit.

Fortnum and Mason is an upscale grocery store (grocers to the Queen aka Brenda) just along from the Ritz with a nice restaurant and eating venues. Great for an afternoon cream tea.

Why not do both - easily walkable or 2 stops on the tube.

Neil

do they have a problem with people wearing "crash helmets" in the store?

Generally, when i eat, i always like to wear a crash helmet...just in case a food fight breaks out and someone throws a turkey leg or a scone at my noggin...you don't know how many injuries are caused daily by hurled scones in british lunch rooms...you could be sitting there, minding your own business, enjoying a sandwich when, suddenly, from out of nowhere, some loon heaves a stale scone at your head...i say better to be safe than sorry...

totally!

• 2 weeks later...

Generally, when I eat, I always like to wear a crash helmet...just in case a food fight breaks out and someone throws a turkey leg or a scone at my noggin...You don't know how many injuries are caused daily by hurled scones in British lunch rooms...You could be sitting there, minding your own business, enjoying a sandwich when, suddenly, from out of nowhere, some loon heaves a stale scone at your head...I say better to be safe than sorry...

That wasn't an earthquake we just had here in Southern California...that was me laughing so hard I fell over!!!

Enjoy Harrod's dining. We have done that twice. Great fun! Classy room and location. Plus, lots of other interesting things to see in and around this large story. I wouldn't worry too much about the shoes you are wearing. Below are some of my visual highlights to share.

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. This posting is now over 38,935 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

At Harrods, the Georgian Restaurant is on the Fourth Floor
 with its elegant dining. They have a la carte, carvery 
and buffet lunches, plus their famous afternoon teas. Once when there, we enjoyed the Royal Strings that were the favorite musical performers for the Queen Mother.:

LondHarrodDinRm2.jpg

Harrod's unique Food Hall has lots to see and eat:

HarrodsFoodH.jpg

Harrods has unqiue interior displays and designs:

LondHarrInterior.jpg

Love your pictures, but I read somewhere that photos were NOT allowed inside Harrods. Is this a recent change?

Harrods is a department store ...

Fortnum and Mason is an upscale grocery store (grocers to the Queen aka Brenda) just along from the Ritz with a nice restaurant and eating venues. Great for an afternoon cream tea.

Fortnum's is a department store' date=' too. It does much more than just groceries!

THIRD FLOOR

Books

Games

Gentlemen's Accessories

Gentlemen's Grooming

Gentlemen's Nightwear

Gifts

Leather Goods

Luggage

Pens

Stationery

Gentleman's Cloakroom

Gift Advice, Card Wrapping

SECOND FLOOR

Babywear & Gifts

Bath & Beauty

Bathroom Accessories

Bed & Linen

Fashion Accessories

Handbags

Millinery

Jewellery

Lingerie & Nightwear

Perfume & Cosmetics

Beauty Rooms

Baby Changing

Disabled Cloakroom

FIRST FLOOR

Christmas Shop

Al Fresco Eating

Candles

Cooks Library

Cookshop

China, Glass & Silver

Hampers

Disabled Cloakroom

Ladies Powder Room

The Parlour Restaurant

Demonstration Kitchen

Fortnum's Services

Hamper Ordering

Account Enquiries

Events

Corporate Orders

Deliveries

General Enquiries

Personal Shopping

VAT Reclaim

Love your pictures, but I read somewhere that photos were NOT allowed inside Harrods. Is this a recent change?

Appreciate the nice comments on my pictures. Those pictures were taken in early July 2006 and I didn't see any signs or get any problems for taking this pictures at that time. Maybe their policy has been changed. Maybe it is a no-no on flash photography. Flash photos in a busy place can be a safety issue. Love the interiors for Harrods, but have not been back there since five years ago.

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our last July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. This posting is now over 41,665 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

Archived