SYDNEY hotels ?

hi, have been told to post on here .We sail into sydney early next year,and are looking for a decent hotel (60s couple)for 3 to 4 nights that is handy for the cruise terminal and the local nightlife and any tour companies that work out of sydney.We also have to get to the airport afterwards so taxi or bus which is best and roughly how much.....thanks d&k

Hi D&K!

I always reccomend the Shangri La, right on the edge of the harbour in the The Rocks district. It overlooks the harbour and the city and has some amazing views. You can pay extra for a harbour view room which overlooks the harbour, opera house and the overseas passenger terminal so you can see the ship come in and out. Its fairly pricey but well worth it :)

We stayed at the Shangri La. Great views of the bridge, harbour and opera house. It is approx $300 per night for these views. Next door with the same views is Quay West Apartments that are approx $250 per night and also excellent accom. Either would be very nice.

I think you may fuind they have gone up considerably. The cheapest rate we managed to get was $400 a night for harbour view. But keep checking the website they may have some specials on :)

there are many hotels close by, i would not reccomend the holiday inn (as a previous regular client) it is very expensive for a very average, ageing hotel. for the same money you can secure a much nicer hotel.

We stayed at the Holiday Inn, Old Sydney, pre our Christmas cruise on Diamond Princess.

We didn't find it at all expensive and while I would agree it's not the newest hotel in the area it is very presentable and very very convenient.

We will definitely use it again.

Just about any of the Sydney CBD hotels are fine for seeing Sydney the underground and public transport system plus ferries will get you pretty much everywhere.

I like the Darling Harbour or Rocks area but have stayed in the Amora which is just off George Street it was lovely and very convenient. For longer stays try the apartment hotels.

there are many hotels close by, i would not reccomend the holiday inn (as a previous regular client) it is very expensive for a very average, ageing hotel. for the same money you can secure a much nicer hotel.

We have a rate of $219 with the Entertainment Card discount for 1/15-1/18. What better hotel with the same rate or better would you recommend? The HI does appear to have an idea location.

just don't stay at the IBIS - looking over Darling Harbour.

We thought it was the smallest room you could ever imagine-

The view was good but everything else about the room was horrible and not that clean either.

We had pre- paid three nights and booked through Accor.

We spent most of the time out of our room but if you like to loll about you couldn't in a room that size.

We now never stay /book Ibis hotels because of that room we had there.

I have stayed in IBIS hotels, in many places within Australia and UK/Europe, believe me, the rooms are not any bigger. Like a cell, ok for a short overnighter precruise, but no more. Plenty of deals around Sydney Hotels, if you check the sites.

I stayed at the Grace last year and wouldn't recommend it, it's tired, service was very average and there are far better hotels in better position in The Rocks area closer to ship, the Opera House and fabulous restaurants. I'd recommend the Park Hyatt if money is no object. A little less are the Four Seasons or Shangri-la or if you don't want to spend quite so much I'd go with the Amora Jamieson Hotel. All very good. If you like Japanese food my favourite restaurant ever is close by "Sabi". It is superb!!! Enjoy your stay in Sydney, you'll love it.

We stayed at the Westin Hotel, it was beautiful, large room, fantastic bathroom. Bed was extremely comfortable. Very clean.

We had glimpses of the harbour from our room.

We used http://www.kst.com.au for transport from the airport. The Westin Hotel recommended them to us. And we would recommend their prompt service as well.

I know Quay West Apartments on the Rocks is $245 and would be less with the entertainment card, usually approx 10% less. At least you have cooking facilities and the views are great. I think they are rated 5 star.

I think it depends on the dates, but for our dates (1/15-1/18). The rate is $327 a night, so although it looks very nice it is much more expensive. Thanks.

Check lastminute.com.au or similar sites.

They often have Old Sydney Holiday Inn in The Rocks as a mystery hotel for about $130/night which isn't bad for a 4.5* hotel

That is true, but it is too early. Perhaps as the date gets closer.

Archived