Getting from CDG Airport into Paris

Ozjohnno

This may not be the appropiate place to post this but I'm sure some of our experienced travellers can help us out. My wife and I are heading off on our "Holiday of a Lifetime" in a few months and I'd appreciate all the advice I can get on which company is best to get us from CDG to Paris. It's a very long time in a plane from Australia and when we arrive we just want to see our name on a sign and our transport waiting. I know you can travel by bus, train or even taxi but we were looking at private transportation. The problem here is there are so many to choose from; some with very similar names and all of them around the same price.

Has anyone recently used a private company to transport them from CDG into Paris? Can you give me an assessment on them both good and bad. Many thanks in advance for taking the time to help us out.

Rod

I use the Roissy bus. Several pick up points at CDG. Drop off in Paris near the old Opera House. It's quick and cheap. I've also used shuttles, but I cannot recall which company. They are fine, but slow since they stop at many hotels.

we also used the roissey bus so easy, but depends where you are staying in paris. our hotel was a short walk from the bus stop so very convenient.

we have also used a taxi in the past in paris.

we are off to paris next month following a river cruise from amsterdam, 3rd with avalon. we looked at tauck but could not get the cabin we wanted, maybe next time.

The bus or train will be the cheapest. A taxi is about 60 euros. If you want a private livery service it will cost you 110 euros. A driver will be standing outside the customs gate with your name on a placard. Try the following website for a chauffeured ride http://www.driverguidefrance.com

This may not be the appropiate place to post this but I'm sure some of our experienced travellers can help us out. My wife and I are heading off on our "Holiday of a Lifetime" in a few months and I'd appreciate all the advice I can get on which company is best to get us from CDG to Paris. It's a very long time in a plane from Australia and when we arrive we just want to see our name on a sign and our transport waiting. I know you can travel by bus, train or even taxi but we were looking at private transportation. The problem here is there are so many to choose from; some with very similar names and all of them around the same price.

Has anyone recently used a private company to transport them from CDG into Paris? Can you give me an assessment on them both good and bad. Many thanks in advance for taking the time to help us out.

Rod

I believe your request was for someone to meet you and take you to your hotel rather than having to catch a bus, train, etc. What we did was book with Super Shuttle and they will pick us up at the airport and transport us to the hotel. You can choose a private van or a shared van. I believe when I booked it stated that a shared van would have no more than 3 stops and that is what we chose since we arrive at 6 a.m. (yawn). We call the 800 number they give after we have retrieved our luggage and the van will be right there. That might be an option for you and less tiring than trying to catch a bus or train. Of course there are always cabs, but I understand they are very expensive when compared to other options. Hope this helps.

B.Cole

We usually jump in a cab or take the blue vans

http://www.bluvan.fr/fr/index.php

It will be more expensive then public transportation but direct to your hotel. Go to trip advisor- Paris- and there are reviews for other firms as well.

This looks like a good option. There isn't much info on their website. Do you know how often they run? Do you need to make a reservation ahead of time or just catch one like a taxi?

Mike - made reservations on line and and printed out the confirmation. There was a local phone # to call on arrival and they will tell you what terminal door to go to. We waited about 15-20 min. The van did pick up another couple and dropped them off first. We booked a cab back to CDG at a cost of 55 euros. I can't locate the price of the van but it was less then the cab fare. Hope this helps.

Dave

Mike - made reservations on line and and printed out the confirmation. There was a local phone # to call on arrival and they will tell you what terminal door to go to. We waited about 15-20 min. The van did pick up another couple and dropped them off first. We booked a cab back to CDG at a cost of 55 euros. I can't locate the price of the van but it was less then the cab fare. Hope this helps.

Dave

Dave,

That sounds good. I guess the only problem would be finding a phone, since I don't use the international roaming when out of the country. Thanks again.

Hi Rod,

If you scroll down on this board to "Ports of Call" and enter "Europe" and then go to France, you can ask this question there. I'm sure you will get some more responses re a reliable car service there.

Sheila

Thank you all for your prompt replies. I will take your advice Sheila and see what a posting there brings. Thank you too Dave for that web site. We have no intention of taking a bus or a train from the airport irrespective of how cheap it is. I can't imagine arriving in a city for the first time, not speak the language and then getting on/off a bus or train not knowing where to start looking for your hotel. That's for those who have travelled there many times before. We'll continue to research the shuttle Vs Taxi option. Again thanks for all the input as usual this community is just like a family.

Rod

Hi again Rod,

I'm with you. We are reaching the end of our traveling days -- we still have Russia and India this year and next. We always arrange for a driver. We got one in Rome and Athens several years ago from the "Ports of Call" board. They were wonderful.

Sheila

If you go over to the Paris Forum on Tripadvisor (http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g187147-i14-Paris_Ile_de_France.html), you'll find quite a number of discussions about the reliability of shuttle services. For our part, we've been to Paris quite a number of times, and have done both shuttles and taxis. We always use a taxi now -- the shuttles were always hit-or-miss for us, and after a long plane ride, the last thing you want to do is stand around and wait for a shuttle. Given the money you spend on this kind of trip, consider spending an extra 20 euros on a taxi.

If you go over to the Paris Forum on Tripadvisor (http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g187147-i14-Paris_Ile_de_France.html), you'll find quite a number of discussions about the reliability of shuttle services. For our part, we've been to Paris quite a number of times, and have done both shuttles and taxis. We always use a taxi now -- the shuttles were always hit-or-miss for us, and after a long plane ride, the last thing you want to do is stand around and wait for a shuttle. Given the money you spend on this kind of trip, consider spending an extra 20 euros on a taxi.

Can we get a taxi to take us to our airport hotel which is also at CDG or will the taxi driver not want to take us such a short distance?

After reading that shuttles are sometimes a hit and miss, cancelled our reservation for the Super Shuttle and plan on catching a cab as soon as we retrieve our luggage. Question: do cabs accept credit cards or should we hit the ATM machine as soon as we land?

B. Cole

we have also used a taxi in paris, easy. read mixed reviews about shuttles from the airport. last thing you would want after a long flight would be to wait and wonder about a transfer.

last time we collected our bags left the building and immediately outside was the bus no waiting and on we got no problems.

our hotel was a short walk from where the bus stopped at opera, ambassador blu. we always look up on google to check location of our accomodation, makes planning easier.

in rome we used rome cabs, prebooked worked very well. they have good reviews.

good luck with your planning. we will be in amsterdam on thursday and paris about 2 weeks later. love river cruising.

Archived