Oceania Insignia PH Computers

jtamchay

First time cruiser on Oceania...we have a PH2 booked and we are wondering if this ship has computers in the PH suites?

Anyone with current info regarding internet fees?

Also wondering if they have a package for internet use in these cabins?

Thanks

We offer 6 different rate packages, which include the following:

-$.95 per minute with no package

-100 minutes for $80.00, additional minutes are $.80 per minute

-200 minutes for $140.00, additional minutes are $.70 per minute

-500 minutes for $300.00, additional minutes are $.60 per minute

-800 minutes for $400.00, additional minutes are $.50 per minute

-1,200 minutes for $540.00, additional minutes are $.45 per minute

Package amounts are charged upfront and no refunds will be made for unused minutes. All additional minutes are charged at the same rate level.

Wireless Internet Service

Wireless internet service is available throughout all ships. All suites include a wireless laptop for your convenience. Please refer to internet pricing listed above.

http://www.oceaniacruises.com/ships/insignia/lifestyle/stayintouch.aspx

I'm thinking that computer use onboard will be too slow for what he needs...quite possibly he will just use his I-Phone and roll with those charges...we need to nail down the plan on this as 13 days away from his business , w/o communicating, is just a no starter...BTDT on other cruises (;

I shall presume that you know that the Internet connections are slooooooooow. Exaggeration intended and likely not sufficient.

I would have agreed with you about this in the past.

We've had better luck on our Marina cruises recently. That is not to say that internet is as fast as it is at home; but it is sufficient MOST of the times for simple tasks (e mail, etc). Speeds tend to be better with fewer users online (late night, etc); when I found it slow, I just signed off. I assume this improvement from our past experiences is due to the new set up/servers on Marina. Also, wi-fi reception is better in some cabins/locations than others. I am not sure if any of the R ships have been "upgraded" as well.

Then there is the occasional "free" wireless internet in ports (cafes, etc) to supplement the use on the ship.

Overall, the internet experience now is far superior to that of the past.

Paul,

I envy you that you were able to find acceptable connection times on the Marina. Almost every time I logged in (and I always went to the computer center and sat next to Doug's desk where the antenna was located) it was painfully slow. Three times he had to credit minutes back to my package because it took twenty minutes or so to get one email. However, I heard that they were going to work on this immediately after our cruise so you may know better how it went on the subsequent one.

We just returned from a penthouse suite cruise on Insignia. Yes there was computer, it was very slow. My husband had a hard time getting on and logging off. We bought 100 minutes for a two week cruise and did not use them all.

Thanks...it doesn't sound promising to do any real work from the slow connection...we will have to make an adjustment to our thinking...

We travel with our own laptop and have found at least can compose off line if then have to use O internet to send. Several port terminals we have been in have had internet cafes at very reasonable prices or there were cafes close by that we could then easily transmit and then also get e -mail. I don't know what cruise you are on so it might not work out and would cut into your siteseeing time. Just a thought. We also had I-phone and used Skype in port for our calls and it's great. Actually used it on ship by going through the internet. Still payed internet charges but those minutes were cheaper than cell minutes! Have a great cruise.

Thanks...it doesn't sound promising to do any real work from the slow connection...we will have to make an adjustment to our thinking...

Here I thought cruising was a vacation ...glad we are retired :D

Thanks, we are not going to bring our lap top...we'll be away from home 18 days and just do not want to haul that thing around. The I-Phone will work out just fine and yes, I know that this is supposed to be a vacation but hubby(65) is not retired and his business needs hands on even when we are on "vacation".

We are on Scandinavian Splendours....25 July - 8 August 2011.

Jo - Enjoy your first "O" cruise and the great scenery and don't forget to take advantage of your butler's services and let yourself be pampered. Even if DH has to work some it's great that you can get away.

Joanna

Jo - Enjoy your first "O" cruise and the great scenery and don't forget to take advantage of your butler's services and let yourself be pampered. Even if DH has to work some it's great that you can get away.

Joanna

Thanks, Joanna....since this is our first cruise on Insignia/Oceania we do intend to make every minute count. Having cruised several times on Crystal we definitely know how to"use" the butler...hubby works and me...I play.

We have talked about open seating as we have not experienced that dining method before this cruise.

Do you just arrive and they seat you with others already in mid course or how does it truly work?

Doesn't seem like a good situation to have everyone at the table eating a different course and trying to be conversant through a meal.

jo

Thanks, Joanna....since this is our first cruise on Insignia/Oceania we do intend to make every minute count. Having cruised several times on Crystal we definitely know how to"use" the butler...hubby works and me...I play.

We have talked about open seating as we have not experienced that dining method before this cruise.

Do you just arrive and they seat you with others already in mid course or how does it truly work?

Doesn't seem like a good situation to have everyone at the table eating a different course and trying to be conversant through a meal.

jo

We love the open seating on O. You are seated a table and within a few minutes it will be full. Then service begins.

We had a terrible expeience with the same thing on RCCI. They forced you to eat alone as a couple or would only seat you with others if you all arrived exactly at the same time and formed an ad hoc table.

jo

You arrive they ask if you want to share or not

If you share they will seat you with others when all the seats are full at that table then they take your dinner requests ....no joining mid course.

They do open seating very well

Lyn

Just an added note -- because they don't seat you at a table where others have already started (the QE2 used to do so and then they made sure that everyone finished at the same time, even when you told the wait staff that you wanted to get out in time to see the show) -- anyway, because of that, if you prefer to share a table SOMETIMES because of where other tables are in terms of serving, you may end up at a table for two. That has happened to us a number of times.

But I personally would rather eat by ourselves than play catch-up with the others if those are the alternatives. I think O's handling of the situation is far better than Cunard's.

But I personally would rather eat by ourselves than play catch-up with the others if those are the alternatives. I think O's handling of the situation is far better than Cunard's.

MURA

I have NEVER been seated at a table on O where the dinner orders were taken already.

Sometimes (lunch) you may wait a bit for others to be seated at your table & if they get no others to share they remove the other place settings & you become a table for 2 ;)

The waitstaff like to do the orders for a specific table all at the same time

I think that would be a logistical nightmare for the staff :eek:

Lyn

And I haven't either, Lyn -- not on Oceania --but on our first QE2 cruise we WERE. We were in a lower level cabin on that cruise although not at the bottom tier of the four restaurants. There was Queen's Grill for the ultra rich, the Princess Grill for the merely rich (all terms being relative!), our restaurant which was "open seating" between 7-9:30, and the bottom (largest) restaurant which had two assigned seatings.

We were at a table for six. We usually arrived at the same time, but on several occasions one of the couples might come in early so as to get out in time for the show. It never happened. I agree it must be a nightmare for the wait staff to make the adjustments so that we all have dessert together ... and in fact they did the catch-up pretty much with the appetizers and/or salad. By main course time, we all had our meals.

It seems to me on O that occasionally we have already placed our orders when another couple has joined the table, but they quickly ordered and there was no catch-up involved.

Mura

Thank you for all the replies about open seating and how it works...sounds like we will not have the mid course issue and that we will adapt very quickly to the workings of Oceania in the dining room.

We are truly looking forward to the more casual atmosphere, the wonderful food and these great ports...all firsts for us.

10 weeks and counting!

jo

Archived