Swollen ankles & feet

capecodder2

We just returned from cruising on the Regatta last week. This is just an FYI on my own exprience with swollen ankes/feet. I know there was some discussion on this topic as part of another thread a few months ago, but I can't find it and it may be too old or long to add to anyway. This is just my experience and may not be so for other people. On a cruise in January I had a slight issue with this problem but not enough to think about it too much but I did learn it might be caused by the drinking water on the ship from another passenger. About 5 days into the Regatta cruise I noticed that my ankles/feet were swollen at dinner time - gone by morning. I decided not to drink the ship's tap or restaurant water but requested bottled water. Then I noticed that on the blue bottles of H2O water in the stateroom has "sodium" is listed as an ingredient. I asked about "sodium free" water and was provided with both large and small bottles of water that were sodium free. I also gave up my lovely pots of tea and anything I thought contained a lot of water. I took my sodium free water to all meals to use. Two days later, no swollen ankles/feet. I did not make any other changes in food or drink. This is not a problem I have at home and is unique to cruising for me. Perhaps this will help others who may have the same problem. I do know that sodium is added to many supermarket botted waters, so it would be easy to overlook. Read the label.

I don't know how old you are and in what physical condition you are, but it may be a good idea to discuss this issue with your physician (just to be safe). The relatively small amount of sodium in the water should not cause this type of a problem to a healthy individual. I imagine that most people on the ship did not have this problem.

Please take this advice in the spirit it is meant - with your health and best interest in mind.

other factors I would be tracking are...

were this port days? did you do alot of walking? over uneven terrain such as cobblestones? lots of stairs? was it hot or humid outside?

I do agree with PaulChili...you should report this to your doctor.

Personally, I see my doctor once a month for chronic pain management and she insists that I give her a full report ANYTIME my body does something out of the normal range for me.

and ESPECIALLY when I return from overseas travel...she's been trained in travel medicine and is vigilant about bug bites, food born illnesses etc etc.... and yes I have had both and because of my reporting back (actually when I was traveling) and her being on point we were able to treat both quickly.

K.

I appreciate your comments as I was part of the discussion about swollen feet and ankles...the idea that you can get sodium free water is a good idea...I am on meds that alleviate water retention due to high blood pressure...I am always vigilant and in the past the pasta dishes I so love onboard were the culprit for me...also an additive known as MSG.

Thanks for reproting back on your experience.

jo

Is this sodium in water problem widespread on cruise lines, or is it specific to rare cases? It may be nice for someone to collect some typical water samples and have them analysed, to see if it is just a trace (well tolerated) or a lot?

Our suspicion is that the on-board desalination process in producing drinking water from sea water may occasionally be defective. It shouldn't be a frequent, widespread problem, or we should have heard a lot more of it.

I remain puzzled as to why the water bottlers feel the need to add sodium to their product.

Can anyone enlighten me?

I can't scientifically enlighten you on this...

But I would like to enlighten you and others about THIS

Throughout the world high levels of Magnesium is added to bottled water.

This has become a new trend in the last 5 years or so.

Magnesium is a laxative

and especially potent when you are not accustomed to having it added to your water .

We have actually learned that anything more than 5 milligrams of added Magnesium is very dangerous ;)

for me. We have seen bottles as high as 27 milligrams added Magnesium

Keep this in mind when you travel.

I wish more people were aware of this, because I strongly believe several Norovirus outbreaks could actually be relabeled and people wouldnt be confined to their cabins unnecessarily.

K.

Wow, what will they think of next? And here I was, thinking that water was H2O!

I just looked at a Dasani bottle I happen to have. It says 0% Sodium, but then it says it contains salt--a negligible amount apparently. This may be an artifact of reverse osmosis.

Other minerals, which apparently they add for taste: magnesium sulfate and potassium chloride. Of course, natural water does contain minerals of various kinds, so perhaps they're just trying to make it taste normal.

I remain puzzled as to why the water bottlers feel the need to add sodium to their product.

Can anyone enlighten me?

Sodium is a naturally occurring mineral found in water along with other minerals. Unless the bottle say it was added I would think the trace amount is safe for most people

If you can get 100 % sodium free that is a bonus

Check bottle water on google there are several different processes, not all bottled water is created equal :rolleyes:

Lyn

I can't scientifically enlighten you on this...

But I would like to enlighten you and others about THIS

Throughout the world high levels of Magnesium is added to bottled water.

This has become a new trend in the last 5 years or so.

K.

There are also medical conditions that can produce symptoms that appear to act like a laxative with some people

Lyn,

What I was wondering about was added sodium -- or added anything. I thought that the point of bottling "natural" water is to get just that! I don't see the point of improving it.

Now, if we're talking about water "rescued" from the ocean ... I can see where it might not be possible to remove it all.

I have not personally encountered this problem with ship's water myself.

... We have actually learned that anything more than 5 milligrams of added Magnesium is very dangerous ...
We don't know about that. One cat takes a "calcium magnesium 2:1" tablet as a supplement once a day, containing 350mg calcium and 175mg magnesium each, and claimed to fulfill half the normal daily needs.

350mg of calcium in the form of calcium citrate, biglycinate, malate and carbonate

175mg of magnesium in the form of magnesium citrate, biglycinate and oxide

100 IU of vitamin D3

Lyn,

What I was wondering about was added sodium -- or added anything. I thought that the point of bottling "natural" water is to get just that! I don't see the point of improving it.

I have not personally encountered this problem with ship's water myself.

I have never seen ADDED sodium to bottled water only the trace elements already there

I had a problem with swollen ankles on the Norway cruise but it was the food

I stopped eating sauces & prepared type foods, no added spice on the french fries from Waves

Ate from the Carvery with steamed veg & baked potato, salads light on the dressings & not problem after that

I did the same on Marina when I did not order NO SODIUM meals from the GDR or specialty restaurants.

I drank the water from many sources on the ship

They seem to put more salt in some of the dishes than required

Surprising considering the age demographics on the cruises & medical conditions that people have

I would prefer that they put less salt in the food at the prep stage & let people add it at the table if they want the extra sodium

It may affect different people in different ways

Just my 10cents worth :D

Lyn

I read on an earlier thread that someone on Oceania had trouble with swelling and was told the salad greens were treated to retain freshness and once she had hers washed eac h time she ate her problem subsided. On previous cruises I had a lot of swelling problems (I always ate alot of salads and drank a lot of tap water) so I decided on the recent Marina TA to try to eat fewer green salads. I usually ate the Spa offering when I did have salad. I had minimal swelling this cruise and was pleased. Of course, they added free bottled water, so I was drinking that in the cabin and regular water at meals. Now with the latest revelation in this thread, I don't know if the lack of swelling was reduction in green salads, switch to bottled water, or just my good fortune!

It's a fact known to some that "pure" water - that is, water which has been filtered countless times is completely tasteless and none of you would ever want to drink it, for just that reason. Ship's water, is just that - water which has been completely filtered so that all chemicals, salts, and other factors are totally eliminated. To make it taste good, certain elements and chemicals are introduced back into the water to make it taste good to all passengers.

I'm not a chemist so I can't tell you the compounds, but I betcha that "salt" is one. But I really doubt that the concentration would be enough to cause swelling in most folks.

Most "bottled" water is exactly the same - don't believe for a moment that all of it comes from idyllic bubbling mountain streams. I think you'll find that most of it is "tap" water, filtered to remove impurities and then some "taste" elements added back in.

I would think that Lyn has it right - most of the problems that can be traced back would come from food - not drinking water. The answer - talk to your doctor and see if he recommends "low salt" diets - advance warning to the ship, and they will come up with dishes that will help......

We don't know about that. One cat takes a "calcium magnesium 2:1" tablet as a supplement once a day, containing 350mg calcium and 175mg magnesium each, and claimed to fulfill half the normal daily needs.

350mg of calcium in the form of calcium citrate, biglycinate, malate and carbonate

175mg of magnesium in the form of magnesium citrate, biglycinate and oxide

100 IU of vitamin D3

when you quoted me, you missed the part that I said very dangerous FOR ME...

as in that I and many people I know dont take Magnesium supplements.

So, when we travel throughout Europe & Asia and we drink bottled water with added magnesium...

there will very likely be this problem....

I have SEVERE diarrhea, the kind that will get you hospitalized when it is lasts for more than a couple of days.

The kind that no OTC meds will stop, not even max dosage of imodium and pepto bismol combined

yes you can take supplements and yes people all over the world drink this water

but if your body isnt accustomed to the additional magnesium, you are in for a VERY VERY VERY Horrible surprise, which can catch you in a port that only have squat pots.

Consider the trail I've blazed ahead of you, something to put in the back of your mind if you are experiencing intestinal distress. This can be an aspect you eliminate in hopes of getting relief.

And to LHT Yes, there are other diseases that can cause this issue, but if those are eliminated and you dont pay attention to the actual water you keep drinking to hydrate yourself you won't be getting better anytime soon and the quarantine could be longer than necessary.

I've already learned all of this, the only reason I have taken my time to post this ...

is to offer info for the rest of you

especially those that wonder if the water onboard or while you are traveling is causing some reaction in your body.

And to LHT Yes, there are other diseases that can cause this issue, but if those are eliminated and you dont pay attention to the actual water you keep drinking to hydrate yourself you won't be getting better anytime soon and the quarantine could be longer than necessary.

Yes I suffered for years with symptoms much like IBS but it was not bottled water back then that cause my problem

One the problem was "FIXED" no more IBS symptoms

You have to find out what cause the problem & do what is best for your body

lyn

Most "bottled" water is exactly the same - don't believe for a moment that all of it comes from idyllic bubbling mountain streams. I think you'll find that most of it is "tap" water, filtered to remove impurities and then some "taste" elements added back in.

What's more, some bottled waters are worse (as in less pure) than your tap water. That is because the standards that govern the local utilities are often stricter than those of the FDA (which governs bottled water specifications).

As it was posted here before - not all bottled waters were created equal :)

When I wrote this thread it was meant just as an FYI for anyone else with a similar problem to think about and perhaps be aware. It has been very nteresting reading and I thank you all. I have to tell you that this issue is much bigger than many of you think and if you run a search you will find that it is discussed in many posts under many different cruise lines. I had a massage in the spa and mentioned it , the masseuse told me that a lot of people have that problem. My health is very good, I am a "young" senior, don't have allergies, etc. and I am convinced this is an issue caused by the accummulation of sodium in the water FOR ME. My cruise was not a strenous cruise with a lot of walking, etc. I drink a lot of water, tea, and surely there is the food cooked n the water, so even a small amount of sodium does add up in the long run. It took 5 days for it to show up, 2 to eliminate it by changing waters. I will give it another run when we are on the Insignia in September. Thanks everyone.

Because I use a CPAP machine for sleep apnea and because I need distilled water for it, I asked the Captain if the water on the ship would be considered distilled and he replied no. There are minerals added back into it after the desalination process. I was able to get the distilled water I needed. I too have had the swollen ankles and feet problem and attribute it to the salt in the food which, of course makes it taste so good!:D

I just want to reiterate - the blue bottled water they put in the cabins has sodium - ask for "sodium free" water - Aloha was the brand they gave me on the Regatta for big bottles, it was another brand in the small bottles for shore excursions, sorry I can't recall the name. Read the labels. Thanks.

Thanks for that site Bill. What an eye-opener that is. Imagine all that stuff put in something sold as "Water." I am truly amazed.

Bobi

If you really want your "eyes opened" watch the movie/documentary "Tapped". It is available as an "instant play" on netflix.com. There is an informative trailer for the movie on youtube.com. I will never willingly drink bottled water again, only in emergencies. It's tap water for me.

Jacquie

• 3 weeks later...
I don't know how old you are and in what physical condition you are, but it may be a good idea to discuss this issue with your physician (just to be safe). The relatively small amount of sodium in the water should not cause this type of a problem to a healthy individual. I imagine that most people on the ship did not have this problem.

Please take this advice in the spirit it is meant - with your health and best interest in mind.

I have been getting swollen feet and ankles while cruising ever sense I started cruising in my early 30's.

Its a travel thing that is very common for women.... I drink alot of cranberry juice and it helps. Hours on a plane and then the cruise food with more sodium then I am used too does not help..

Archived