Just booking a penthouse on the Gem...9170

So my friend and I are taking our daughters out of school in September and thinking of booking a penthouse suite. It isn't a courtyard suite but it says it has a butler and concierge...does it also have the courtyard I wonder? I have to place a phone call but am wondering if anyone has any ideas.

We are so excited!:D:D

So my friend and I are taking our daughters out of school in September and thinking of booking a penthouse suite. It isn't a courtyard suite but it says it has a butler and concierge...does it also have the courtyard I wonder? I have to place a phone call but am wondering if anyone has any ideas.

We are so excited!:D:D

The only ones with courtyard access is the Courtyard Villas, Owners Suites, Deluxe Owners Suites and the Garden Villas. All full suites (including Penthouses) have the butler and concierge, priority embarkation, priority debarkation and free Cagneys for breakfast and lunch.

Better check, I think that suite only holds 3, when we were in it it was for only 2, but I beleive they were replacing the very small "love seat" with a bigger sleeper sofa. Very nice location, awesome for 2, does have perks for Cagneys for breakfast and lunch, butler and concierge. It will be bigger than a balcony for 4. BUt not courtyard or anything like that included.

Better check, I think that suite only holds 3, when we were in it it was for only 2, but I beleive they were replacing the very small "love seat" with a bigger sleeper sofa. Very nice location, awesome for 2, does have perks for Cagneys for breakfast and lunch, butler and concierge. It will be bigger than a balcony for 4. BUt not courtyard or anything like that included.

When I checked online it said it slept 4 and then I checked again when I called in. I certainly hope it does!!

So what did the butler and concierge do for you? How does priority embarkation work? Do you have any pictures...I would love to see the room and balcony.

I believe, but may be wrong, that the bed in the aft penthouses is ONE bed that can not be separated into 2 beds....and if the love seats have been replaced by pullout couches, they probably sleep 2 kids or 1 adult and 1 kid. The couches in the minisuites are very small and very hard and do not really sleep 2 adults. They may have added a pulldown pullman. Hope it works out. Suite cruising is sooooo much better and soooo much easier from embarkation on.

Catagory SF Gem 9170. It is difficult to figure it all out. The booking agent at NCL had difficulty identifying what was actually included. And from reading these boards it sounds like they are commonly wrong. They seem to offer whatever almost to get you to book then it turns out different.

As for the bedding it does say for this category that it sleeps up to 4. As for the rest we are just trying to figure it all out. Thanks for any help.

I would ask some detailed questions. I believe when they say up to 4, they mean two adults in the queen bed and two small children in the fold out loveseat. I don't think this bed is two singles that make a queen, but it is a true queen that can't be split. Good luck.

I would ask some detailed questions. I believe when they say up to 4, they mean two adults in the queen bed and two small children in the fold out loveseat. I don't think this bed is two singles that make a queen, but it is a true queen that can't be split. Good luck.

I asked specifically and they said they thought so yes. They had done some upgrading and changing in the rooms recently. I'll give a call back and have them examine some other rooms and see what they say. I just dont' have faith in all their answers...is that awful to say?

• 1 year later...

I may be wrong but I have stayed in the aft penthouses on the Gem and it is one king/queen bed and a sofa bed. If it was me and I can’t believe I am saying this but I would get two cheaper cabins instead. Just be prepared to be sleeping with someone and on top of each other. Bathroom is small for four ladies :)

Both the Forward and Aft "Penthouses on the Gem basically have the same layout. One large bed King / Queen and one sofa that converts to a bed. Attached is the floor plan. No courtyard, the "Courtyard" is for the "Haven" Suites only.

The forward penthouses have larger balconies, they also have a bulkhead door. The aft have a sliding door

pent.jpg.871e7753ab612ac92a8177312c2650c1.jpg

Everyone should check the dates when some of these threads were started. I realize that people are trying to offer sound advice but this thread started in May 2011 therefore the cruise was planned for September 2011. They probably don't need any information on the suite at this point.

Everyone should check the dates when some of these threads were started. I realize that people are trying to offer sound advice but this thread started in May 2011 therefore the cruise was planned for September 2011. They probably don't need any information on the suite at this point.

Oops your right never checked the date, now I wonder how they made out?

We just sailed on the Gem in a category SF aft suite on deck 9. If NCL is saying the room sleeps 4, I'd say they're wrong. Our opinion is that it was tight with 2 people. It could probably sleep 2 adults and 1 child, but I don't think it would be a good situation for 4 people. The sleeper sofa is very small (two cushions wide). Although we didn't open it, I'd guess it was a twin. As another poster stated, you should also be aware that the main bed in the SF suites is king size and cannot be separated. If you can afford to do so, I'd recommend booking a 2-bedroom suite on deck 11 or a 2-bedroom Haven suite. These will easily accommodate 4 people.

Archived