Dress Code for Blu on Formal Nights

Amerie

We have had three ten night cruises on the Equinox, all in AQ; and, I do not recall any male not properly dressed for formal nights.

And what does properly dressed mean according to you because according to Celebrity's web site it is Smart Casual every night.

And what does properly dressed mean according to you because according to Celebrity's web site it is Smart Casual every night.

Sorry, on our last three ten night Equinox cruises, there were two formal nights on each cruise; and, the last cruise ended on April 11. When was your last AQ cruise on the Equinox?

Sorry, on our last three ten night Equinox cruises, there were two formal nights on each cruise; and, the last cruise ended on April 11. When was your last AQ cruise on the Equinox?

Late, last year and it was smart casual, probably half smart casual and half formal. You only stated that everyone on your 3 ten day cruises was dressed properly. Since most people reporting back are saying it is smart causal, I assume that was proper which is of course Celebrity guidelines.

Not in Blu; the vast majority of people who have dined in Blu have verified that Blu follows the dress code of the MDR. This was the case on both my S-Class cruises and the experience of most other people that have responded. I think you are being way to literal in interpreting Celebrity's website; they are not considering Blu to be akin to Murano, Qsine etc., but simply using the term "specialty" to differentiate it as a different experience than the MDR.

Not in Blu; the vast majority of people who have dined in Blu have verified that Blu follows the dress code of the MDR. This was the case on both my S-Class cruises and the experience of most other people that have responded. I think you are being way to literal in interpreting Celebrity's website; they are not considering Blu to be akin to Murano, Qsine etc., but simply using the term "specialty" to differentiate it as a different experience than the MDR.

Sorry, I disagree with you, what would Blu be to a suite passenger, nothing but a specialty restaurant. I also can't see how I am being literal when it is all over Celebrity's web site, as the other poster pointed out in at least fifteen places and probably more. I have seen the large majority of people reporting back that it is smart casual, not only on this thread but others. I disagree totally on that one. If they don't consider it a specialty than remove the wording that is is a specialty restaurant..Once again this is people giving their opinions, not what is on the web site. I am only addressing those people who not only in this thread but others read the web site and go on the cruise without packing formal clothes and there are many who have done so..Clear up the discrepanices and make it either way.

Directly from web site, don't believe this is being too literal.

Blu Restaurant

This specialty restaurant is the exclusive dining venue for all AquaClassSM guests, serving healthy fare in a sophisticated and soothing atmosphere.

You and I know what the restaurant is but it is obvious that the OP and others do not and they are the ones we are trying to help. Celebrity needs to clean up their site.

Sorry, I disagree with you, what would Blu be to a suite passenger, nothing but a specialty restaurant. I also can't see how I am being literal when it is all over Celebrity's web site, as the other poster pointed out in at least fifteen places and probably more. I have seen the large majority of people reporting back that it is smart casual, not only on this thread but others. I disagree totally on that one. If they don't consider it a specialty than remove the wording that is is a specialty restaurant..Once again this is people giving their opinions, not what is on the web site. I am only addressing those people who not only in this thread but others read the web site and go on the cruise without packing formal clothes and there are many who have done so..Clear up the discrepanices and make it either way.

Directly from web site, don't believe this is being too literal.

Blu Restaurant

This specialty restaurant is the exclusive dining venue for all AquaClassSM guests, serving healthy fare in a sophisticated and soothing atmosphere.

You and I know what the restaurant is but it is obvious that the OP and others do not and they are the ones we are trying to help. Celebrity needs to clean up their site.

Don, 99% of the time we agree, but on this I feel totally opposite. I think that you are the one giving an opinion - you are choosing to interpret an out-of-context statement on Celebrity's website to read that Blu is smart casual everynight; that is just not the way it works on the ship. Nearly everybody who has dined in Blu has confirmed that Blu observes the same dress code as the MDR. That is a fact - not an opinion. I will be an AQ class again on a new ship (Silhouette) in a few months, so I will check it out in person once again. I do agree Celebrity should pick a different work than calling Blu a "specialty" restaurant, but their intent is to simply describe it as something "special" for those in Aqua class, not lumping it together with Murano, Tuscan Grille, Qsine et al.

A tiny percentage of passengers come on this board, so if they see specialty restaurant on the website, and are not totally familiar with Celebrity, they will assume smart casual every night.

It doesn't seem to matter to Celebrity anyway. On my April cruise, on both formal nights, there were 3 tables surrounding us where the men had on dress slacks, and a shirt-no tie or jacket. No one was given a sportcoat or asked to leave.

If Celebrity doesn't really care, I don't know why anyone else should.

A tiny percentage of passengers come on this board, so if they see specialty restaurant on the website, and are not totally familiar with Celebrity, they will assume smart casual every night.

It doesn't seem to matter to Celebrity anyway. On my April cruise, on both formal nights, there were 3 tables surrounding us where the men had on dress slacks, and a shirt-no tie or jacket. No one was given a sportcoat or asked to leave.

If Celebrity doesn't really care, I don't know why anyone else should.

There is a big difference between whether or not the dress code is enforced on a particular sailing and what the dress code actually is.

There is a big difference between whether or not the dress code is enforced on a particular sailing and what the dress code actually is.

Simply stated, both you and I have simply presented factotums, not incorrect opinions.

Simply stated, both you and I have simply presented factotums, not incorrect opinions.

I respectfully disagree, as according to the website, I believe that it is unclear what the facts are. I do not see it as black and white.

I can only speak to what I personally have observed. We were in AQ on Eclipse in January. A couple tried to come into Blu on formal night with the gentleman dressed in khakis and a polo shirt. The maitre d' was seen quietly arguing with him to no avail --- finally be brought out a sport coat, ugly and ill fitting, and made him wear it. The gentleman looked none too happy and the couple did sit down to eat dinner, but did not linger. My DH said right away that he would have felt uncomfortable if that had been him.

I respectfully disagree, as according to the website, I believe that it is unclear what the facts are. I do not see it as black and white.

How many cruises have you had in AQ on the Equinox? I am simply reporting the facts of our three ten night cruises in this category. On all three cruises, the dailies stated two formal nights in Blu; and, in fact there were two formal nights therein on each cruise. If in fact, you cruised ten nights in AQ; and, it was, in fact, otherwise then that may be another matter.

Everybody agrees the website is ambiguous. What Jack and I (and others) are commenting about is actual experience onboard across multiple cruises. In reality Blu does adhere to the same dress code as the main dining room; if it is formal night in the main dining room, it is formal night in Blu. This is not my "opinion" but how it was clearly spelled out onboard on multiple sailings. I also agree that the dress code is not always enforced, sometimes it is, sometimes it is not (which is also true of the MDR). However it is a fact that Blu and the MDR have the same dress code.

Don, 99% of the time we agree, but on this I feel totally opposite. I think that you are the one giving an opinion - you are choosing to interpret an out-of-context statement on Celebrity's website to read that Blu is smart casual everynight; that is just not the way it works on the ship. Nearly everybody who has dined in Blu has confirmed that Blu observes the same dress code as the MDR. That is a fact - not an opinion. I will be an AQ class again on a new ship (Silhouette) in a few months, so I will check it out in person once again. I do agree Celebrity should pick a different work than calling Blu a "specialty" restaurant, but their intent is to simply describe it as something "special" for those in Aqua class, not lumping it together with Murano, Tuscan Grille, Qsine et al.

Sorry, but I respectuflly disagree, I have seen many people on other threads as well as this one who have expressed just the opposite of it being formal. Personally, I understand it is the MDR for AQ passengers but it is not for suite passengers. As I said earlier, you and I know what Blu is but the average cruiser reading the web site does not. Thats all I'm saying...Sometimes I think because we have some knowledge we forget that there are many out there who do not...

How many cruises have you had in AQ on the Equinox? I am simply reporting the facts of our three ten night cruises in this category. On all three cruises, the dailies stated two formal nights in Blu; and, in fact there were two formal nights therein on each cruise. If in fact, you cruised ten nights in AQ; and, it was, in fact, otherwise then that may be another matter.

In fact, I have not cruised on the Equinox, and never said I did. I was only referring to the ambiguity of website, especially for those who are not as cruise literate as you.

Perhaps someone like Ma Bell would contact Celebrity & request that they clarify the dress code for Blu?

We are thrilled to have been able to upgrade to AQ for our upcoming cruise, & normally would eat in Tuscany or the Bistro for the formal nights, dressed casually, however, we did go to Nordstorm today & bought DH a beautiful suit for our DD's wedding, & decided we'll bring it along for the formal nights in Blu. We are not normally formal type people on a cruise, but in this case we're looking forward to it. I would not be bothered by well groomed folks dressed neatly & casually at Blu on the formal nights...but there are so many options now. For some it is an integral part of their cruise. Basically you can be anywhere but the MDR (& perhaps blu???) & dressed casually, so it seems that there is plenty of room for both dress types on the ship without hardship.

We have cruised on Solstice, Eqinox and Eclipse and never saw anyone offered a jacket or turned away because of the lack of one. Additionally, we did not notice anyone inappropriately dressed.

On another subject whomever wrote the description of BLU's "continental" breakfast is in error. BLU offers a full breakfast menu and you can get off menu items if you desire i.e oatmeal which is not on the menu. BLU staff is extremely accomodating and will do everything possible to make your dining experience enjoyable.

We have cruised on Solstice, Eqinox and Eclipse and never saw anyone offered a jacket or turned away because of the lack of one. Additionally, we did not notice anyone inappropriately dressed.

On another subject whomever wrote the description of BLU's "continental" breakfast is in error. BLU offers a full breakfast menu and you can get off menu items if you desire i.e oatmeal which is not on the menu. BLU staff is extremely accomodating and will do everything possible to make your dining experience enjoyable.

You are absolutely right about that one also, there have been quite a few people asking on this board about the "continental" breakfast in Blu. Another confusion.

I'm afraid I'm really struggling to understand this thread. As I posted earlier, my first cruise was on the Solstice on April 3 in Aqua. Neither I nor anyone else that I was aware of was confused about the dress code. MDR and Blu were both formal Monday and Friday nights. Every man in Blu wore a tux or suit. A friend who didn't want to ate in Silk Harvest one formal night, Tuscan Grille the other. Perhaps the confusion might have started earlier when Blu was first introduced, but there was no confusion on my cruise. Incidentally, we loved Blu -- the food and the service.

Archived