Dress Code for Blu on Formal Nights

Amerie

I just did a quick "search" for Solstice Dailies to see if it is clearly stated in the Dailies what the dress code is for Blu. Hopefully this will confirm to everybody that despite the ambiguities on Celebrity's website that Blu clearly does follow the same Dress Code as the Main Dining Room (i.e. if it is formal night in the MDR, it is formal night in Blu).

Here is a link to the Dailies a fellow Cruise Critic member was nice enough to scan for everybody: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1367107&highlight=solstice+daily (Download the PDF for Day Two and under the "Information" section you will see it clearly states that "Formal attire is required" for the MDR and Blu).

After reading this thread and the 'BLU is the MDR for AQ and follows the daily dress code', no 'BLU is a specialty restaurant and you can wear casual because its called that on the Celebirty FAQs', I think I've come up with the answer: It's both!

For AQ, it is the daily dining venue and is treated as the MDR, because that is what it is. For Suite people who may be able to use BLU on a 'case-case' situation (if thats even true -just read it in a few posts), it is a specialty restaurant, because that is what it is for them, so they can wear casual...you know anything but shorts/t-shirts and flip-flops!

So now we are all happy. This covers the obvious (to me) situation that BLU is a standard dining room, and covers the FAQ references of it being a specialty restaurant. I'm sure this works just fine, right???? Yeah, right.

The main problem will be when the AQ diners in their formal dress get angry at the Suite guests wearing their loud hawaiian shirts and capris and a food fight ensues. But it will be high quality food that we start throwing at each other!

Just a thought.

Den

After reading this thread and the 'BLU is the MDR for AQ and follows the daily dress code', no 'BLU is a specialty restaurant and you can wear casual because its called that on the Celebirty FAQs', I think I've come up with the answer: It's both!

For AQ, it is the daily dining venue and is treated as the MDR, because that is what it is. For Suite people who may be able to use BLU on a 'case-case' situation (if thats even true -just read it in a few posts), it is a specialty restaurant, because that is what it is for them, so they can wear casual...you know anything but shorts/t-shirts and flip-flops!

So now we are all happy. This covers the obvious (to me) situation that BLU is a standard dining room, and covers the FAQ references of it being a specialty restaurant. I'm sure this works just fine, right???? Yeah, right.

The main problem will be when the AQ diners in their formal dress get angry at the Suite guests wearing their loud hawaiian shirts and capris and a food fight ensues. But it will be high quality food that we start throwing at each other!

Just a thought.

Den

You got it, thats all I was saying way back when but you said it much better as usual.

I just did a quick "search" for Solstice Dailies to see if it is clearly stated in the Dailies what the dress code is for Blu. Hopefully this will confirm to everybody that despite the ambiguities on Celebrity's website that Blu clearly does follow the same Dress Code as the Main Dining Room (i.e. if it is formal night in the MDR, it is formal night in Blu).

Here is a link to the Dailies a fellow Cruise Critic member was nice enough to scan for everybody: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1367107&highlight=solstice+daily (Download the PDF for Day Two and under the "Information" section you will see it clearly states that "Formal attire is required" for the MDR and Blu).

Absolutely agree but you don't get the dailies until you get on board which doesn't help someone who read the web site and doesn't back formal clothes...

Absolutely agree but you don't get the dailies until you get on board which doesn't help someone who read the web site and doesn't back formal clothes...

Agreed. Hopefully Celebrity updates the website to clearly state that Blu follows the dress code of the MDR and also fixes the section where they refer to the breakfast at Blu as merely being a continental breakfast. At least they finally fixed the section of the dress code where they mistakenly used the word "dinning room." :)

I’m really reluctant to do this, but I will toss out my view to the discussion. I have always posted that, in my opinion, the choice of the phrase “specialty restaurant” is unfortunate and only creates confusion. However, for those suite passengers who are able to dine there whenever there is room, it is their MDR. Suite passengers have access to Blu as their MDR only subject to there being space available (let’s forget about the fee for now). Since Blu is the MDR for all who dine there, it is formal on MDR formal nights.

I disagree with those who say that Blu is a specialty restaurant for suite passengers. Particularly with “anytime dining” (or whatever the marketing term is), I believe for all intents and purposes, suite passengers can dine in Blu whenever they want. Perhaps suite passengers can tell us if they have been unable to dine there because of space restrictions. My guess is no. I’ve been wrong plenty of times before and will graciously admit as such with regard to this matter.

Therefore, in my opinion, for all who dine there, Blu is the MDR and MDR dress code policies apply.

I think, in the end, if someone was not a regular X passenger, and really wanted to get all "lawyer" on Celebrity - there is direct quotations on the website that are stating that Blu is a specialty restaurant. And it also states that the specialty restaurants are Smart Casual all the time. It's on the website. In writing.

Unless I missed it on the website and/or in this thread, nowhere does it say that Blu follows the MDR dress-code. It is only IMPLIED, or possibly based on posters' experiences. However, interpretation of X's wording and experiences are NOT actual, non-circumstantial evidence for support of formal nights in Blu.

Also, I can't see how the Dailies would be relevant, since you only get those "after-the-fact" of preparing for a cruise, unless you read this thread - and 90%+ of all cruise passengers won't...

So, legally/contractually speaking - and if someone really wanted to put up a fight - there is no way they could force you to wear formal clothes in Blu, unless Celebrity's website and literature are re-worded.

I’m really reluctant to do this, but I will toss out my view to the discussion. I have always posted that, in my opinion, the choice of the phrase “specialty restaurant” is unfortunate and only creates confusion. However, for those suite passengers who are able to dine there whenever there is room, it is their MDR. Suite passengers have access to Blu as their MDR only subject to there being space available (let’s forget about the fee for now). Since Blu is the MDR for all who dine there, it is formal on MDR formal nights.

I disagree with those who say that Blu is a specialty restaurant for suite passengers. Particularly with “anytime dining” (or whatever the marketing term is), I believe for all intents and purposes, suite passengers can dine in Blu whenever they want. Perhaps suite passengers can tell us if they have been unable to dine there because of space restrictions. My guess is no. I’ve been wrong plenty of times before and will graciously admit as such with regard to this matter.

Therefore, in my opinion, for all who dine there, Blu is the MDR and MDR dress code policies apply.

Sorry, but you cant forget the fee, that is what makes it a Specialty restaurant for suite passengers, no getting around that...

Sorry, but you cant forget the fee, that is what makes it a Specialty restaurant for suite passengers, no getting around that...

I know, I know. I'm not suggesting it isn't a factor in the discussion, but I was hoping it would be ignored. However, think of this in terms of it not being a specialty restaurant. The seating is set for two people in every AQ room. The addition of suite passengers adds to the "load" for the wait people. Therefore, to "help pay" for the extra service, the fee is added to accommodate the suite passengers. To me, it isn't a specialty restaurant because it really isn't available to anyone else.

I know, I know. I'm not suggesting it isn't a factor in the discussion, but I was hoping it would be ignored. However, think of this in terms of it not being a specialty restaurant. The seating is set for two people in every AQ room. The addition of suite passengers adds to the "load" for the wait people. Therefore, to "help pay" for the extra service, the fee is added to accommodate the suite passengers. To me, it isn't a specialty restaurant because it really isn't available to anyone else.

Lets see, if you have to pay a fee and you are not guaranteed entry, how can that be your MDR. Besides, they are assigned dining in the MDR not Blu.

From what I have seen in this thread and others, this whole thing may be a matter of what cruise you are on, what ship and who is at the door when you enter.

What about this quote from X's website

Main Dining Arrangements

And one more way your vacation is designed just for you. For AquaClass SM stateroom guests onboard Solstice Class® ships, Traditional Dining includes enjoying Blu-a fresh dining sanctuary offering healthful, delicious fare.

Great point but there are 15 locations where it says Blu is a Specialty restaurant. We could go on and on through the web site. At this point the question has been answered.

I think, in the end, if someone was not a regular X passenger, and really wanted to get all "lawyer" on Celebrity - there is direct quotations on the website that are stating that Blu is a specialty restaurant. And it also states that the specialty restaurants are Smart Casual all the time. It's on the website. In writing.

Unless I missed it on the website and/or in this thread, nowhere does it say that Blu follows the MDR dress-code. It is only IMPLIED, or possibly based on posters' experiences. However, interpretation of X's wording and experiences are NOT actual, non-circumstantial evidence for support of formal nights in Blu.

Also, I can't see how the Dailies would be relevant, since you only get those "after-the-fact" of preparing for a cruise, unless you read this thread - and 90%+ of all cruise passengers won't...

So, legally/contractually speaking - and if someone really wanted to put up a fight - there is no way they could force you to wear formal clothes in Blu, unless Celebrity's website and literature are re-worded.

Actually there is a way you can be denied (saw it in January on Solstice) Several people came to Blu on Formal Night not following the Dress Code. Maitre 'D and Assistant Maitre "D offered jackets. Several people declined. They were not seated. One guy came in shorts and Hawaiian Shirt. Denied byt Maitre 'D. I also heard from the Asst Maitre 'D, that during the cruise they had requests from several Suite Guests who were told that there was not space.

Blu is not a Specialty Restaurant. It may be located in the Specialty Dining Area but it is treated as a Main Dining Room.

At least on our Solstice Cruise.

• 1 month later...

Just to muddy the waters the UK brochure makes no mention of formal nights or dress codes and no photo in the brochure shows any man wearing a tux. I shall be wearing smart casual and a jacket and tie in Blu on formal nights.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi there

As a first time cruiser soon to depart on the Equinox on the 8th Aug with my family, i must say that i have found this thread both interesting and frustrating.

As has been pointed out by various contributors if you have never cruised before (i am qualified), you can really only use the Celebrity website for what one would imagine to be accurate pre-cruise info.

In my opinion, the Celebrity website is extremely poor, with vague info and very poor logic. You are unlikely to recognize this if you are a seasoned cruiser.

With this in mind, is it surprising that there is such a plethora of different views within this thread?

I hate to say this before my cruise, but i hope it's better than the website!

I can only speak to what I personally have observed. We were in AQ on Eclipse in January. A couple tried to come into Blu on formal night with the gentleman dressed in khakis and a polo shirt. The maitre d' was seen quietly arguing with him to no avail --- finally be brought out a sport coat, ugly and ill fitting, and made him wear it. The gentleman looked none too happy and the couple did sit down to eat dinner, but did not linger. My DH said right away that he would have felt uncomfortable if that had been him.

How do you think an ill fitting, ugly sport jacket added to the ambiance of the formal evening? I am just asking your opinion because what you described seems to have defeated the purpose and only drew attention to the situation.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Don:

My guess is the discussion is greater than Blu Formal Night dress code and really "formal" vs "dress" vs "dress casual" vs "casual".

A tuxedo has been considered formal wear for some time ...but with or without tails ? , with or without vest? , with or without patent leather shoes?, etc. Some folks wear a kilt, others a robe , and still others an embroidered white shirt and black slacks. A couple of hundred years ago a formally dressed Anglo would not be seen without a white (large) wig.

My point is "formal" being a tuxedo or a suit and tie is essentially an American/European tradition that is rapidly disappearing...many feel an open shirt and upscale jeans to be formal; however, probably best to wear a suit and tie or a tux in Blu on formal nights as Celebrity grapples with social norms vs what the majority of individuals prefer vs maximizing profits.

Sail well,

Dr. B

Don,

All one has to do is look at the list of Specialty Restaurants (note that Specialty and Restaurants or Specialty Dining are capitalized) to see what are considered "the" Specialty Restaurants. "A" specialty restaurant (small s, small r) is the main dining venue for Aqua Class.

Not only is it grammatically correct to differentiate using the capitalization to denote the group of restaurants that fall under this designation rather than listing all of them every time, it makes it obvious that it is being used as a noun to describe the whole group. Using the small "s" and "r" while describing Blu makes the word "specialty" an adjective describing the word restaurant.

The Specialty Restaurants have a section of their own and it seems that it's fairly obvious which restaurants they are.

Celebrity also makes it clear what they consider appropriate for formal wear so whether it is truly formal wear is irrelevant. It is what Celebrity's standard is while sailing on a Celebrity ship. All the discussion about what people "think" is formal really has nothing to do with the subject.

Archived