Jeans in steakhouse

NAUdebo

Typically the hostess lacks the necessary backbone to confront people who either don't abide by the daily dress "suggestions" or who are unruly. At least it appears that backbone is lacking, whereas it may be a case of directive from above not wanting to piss anyone off -- though they don't factor in too well those who might be put off by such inaction. I can see where sometimes it's best to let the little things slide, but where do you draw the line?

> The first time I saw a man enter the Supper Club (back when that's what they were called) in jeans on "Formal Night" (again, that was the terminology then) he was seated without question, though they did bring a jacket to him to place on his chair back.

> Another time (Supper Club again) we were dining in the upper level of the Golden Fleece and there was a large group (8-10) people at a table in the middle of the lower floor. They had one too many and more than one of them was using all manner of profanity -- at a level we could hear upstairs. Nothing was done about it, and they left perhaps 30 minutes later.

> I was even told a tale by one hostess, after telling her some of what we had witnessed in the past, where she was seating people on a formal night and an older man came in wearing a tux jacket, but NO PANTS. She was taken aback, sat him, and quickly placed a napkin across his lap - hoping that he did not have to get up to use the restroom or anything. Amazing if true... perhaps he had dementia... no idea!

Tom

In my own personal opinion, I would never wear jeans or denim in the Steakhouse. For two reasons mostly - 1. I just feel that the atmosphere of the Steakhouse is a little too formal for jeans. & 2. I would never wear jeans to a restaurant that is serving me a 5-star quality meal in courses.

However, because I have my own personal opinions, does not mean that I frown upon those who think otherwise. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions & everyone paid good money for their cruise so they should enjoy it the way they choose to. Seeing someone walk into the Steakhouse with jeans, especially when it's acceptable on certain evenings, is not going to put a damper on my vacation.

> The first time I saw a man enter the Supper Club (back when that's what they were called) in jeans on "Formal Night" (again, that was the terminology then) he was seated without question, though they did bring a jacket to him to place on his chair back.

The jacket thing always surprises me. I've been to the steakhouse five times in two recent cruises, don't even own a jacket, and they never batted an eyelid about me showing up without one - even though four of our meals were on formal nights. I'd actually read about this jacket thing online and had assumed we wouldn't be able to go to the steakhouse because of this, but when I asked they looked at me as though I was insane and told me not to be silly, a jacket wasn't required.

I still have not seen anyone address my point that jeans were already allowed in the Steakhouses on any night other than Cruise Elegant night. I don't understand why this is being touted as new.

But again, I don't like it. Which is fine. My business can go elsewhere.

It's academic really what the policies are (not just dress policies) because they are continually ignored by both guests and Carnival staff. They may as well not be there.

And please, before anyone jumps all over me, I'm just expressing my opinion. I am not looking down on anyone that wants to ignore policies, that's your choice and I have no say in it. But I am allowed to not like it.

Yes. Everything you said. However, I am shocked. Haven't cuised much, but I can not believe that even if I choose to pay for a meal, that I "still" cant escape those that choose not to dress appropriately.

In other news, you're not supposed to reserve a deck lounger for more than 30 minutes either.

:D

It's well known... it's pure random when Carnival enforces their own policies.

You know, whatever the 'rules' are I do my own thing and wear what to me is smart stuff. Others will continue to do what makes them happy. Many comment that formal clothing is not comfortable to them. While I certainly agree shorts or jeans and t-shirts are very comfortable, some of the most comfortable clothes I own are dress pants and dress shirts. And I love the opportunity to 'dress up.' Ninety percent of the year I am behind my home office desk in cargo shorts and t-shirts, no socks and you'll be lucky if I've showered, lol.

2094923295_P1050739_edited-1copy2.jpg.e931477b8df94102661a1a005401d7bc.jpg

Let Me add we dine in some of the finest restaurants with my aunt and uncle from Miami to West Palm beach and my uncle who is very wealthy only wears Jeans with a very nice expensive button down shirt and always shoes...My dh wears the same with that being said Jeans are fine however one should look nice with a nice shirt/shoes and or Blouse/shoes so it looks appropriate...JMO....ive been to Ruth Chris's and people wore very nice jeans and tops....Its the people that dress like Shlubs that would dress like that on elegant night or in a nice steakhouse...

I have also seen people dining on the lido in the buffet with Carnival bathrobes on.....should we expect that to be the next acceptable garment in the MDR and eventually the steakhouse, as well???? :p

I still have not seen anyone address my point that jeans were already allowed in the Steakhouses on any night other than Cruise Elegant night. I don't understand why this is being touted as new.

But again, I don't like it. Which is fine. My business can go elsewhere.

It's academic really what the policies are (not just dress policies) because they are continually ignored by both guests and Carnival staff. They may as well not be there.

And please, before anyone jumps all over me, I'm just expressing my opinion. I am not looking down on anyone that wants to ignore policies, that's your choice and I have no say in it. But I am allowed to not like it.

that's because you keep posting the dress code for the mdr.

there "was" a separate dress code for the supper club. it was cruise elegant dress every night except for the official elegant night, which still required jackets for men.

this change does not surprise me. just the name change in conjunction with the continual on board advertising, as well as an empty restaurant for each and every one of our visits, told me they weren't selling this upgrade to the new carnival cruiser.

if these rooms were booked solid every night, there would have been no change.

now i see they are toying with serving meals at the bar at a discount of $10 off. next will be pinwheel steaks.

but what really surprises me is the poll that was conducted on facebook. to me, it appeared to me that an overwhelming majority said no to jeans in the steakhouse, and they are changing anyway.

another step toward picnic tables and benches.

and one step closer to serving pay for food in the mdr.

CCL will keep changing rules to fit its clientale - rumor has it that the run of the steakhouse will be turned over to MacDonald's or Burger King and a poll will be taken to see which fast food vendor is more popular - OMG!

CCL will keep changing rules to fit its clientale - rumor has it that the run of the steakhouse will be turned over to MacDonald's or Burger King and a poll will be taken to see which fast food vendor is more popular - OMG!

That's great news. My vote is for Mickey Ds'. Better french fries!

i have a pair of white jeans that you would never know they were jeans. There are no pockets on them....they are cut to be worn with heels. No one would know they are made from denim. I do understand that it is a slippery slope, and one person's $200 denim is another's $12 wal mart classics with oil on them from changing the oil in the car. More than likely the people who wear the classics won't spend $30 pp for a meal.....and the ambiance will not change much. As others have stated before....jeans are allowed in Morton's and Ruth's Chris.....and they are still known as a nice place to eat. No one equates them with mcdonalds......i suspect the same will be true with the steakhouses.

that's because you keep posting the dress code for the mdr.

there "was" a separate dress code for the supper club. it was cruise elegant dress every night except for the official elegant night, which still required jackets for men.

this change does not surprise me. just the name change in conjunction with the continual on board advertising, as well as an empty restaurant for each and every one of our visits, told me they weren't selling this upgrade to the new carnival cruiser.

if these rooms were booked solid every night, there would have been no change.

now i see they are toying with serving meals at the bar at a discount of $10 off. next will be pinwheel steaks.

but what really surprises me is the poll that was conducted on facebook. to me, it appeared to me that an overwhelming majority said no to jeans in the steakhouse, and they are changing anyway.

another step toward picnic tables and benches.

and one step closer to serving pay for food in the mdr.

No, that is the dress code from the FAQ for the steakhouse. Here it is in full (and it has not changed with John's "annoucement":

"The Steakhouse

With an elegant, but fun-filled, relaxed and somewhat casual atmosphere and a menu that includes steakhouse favorites, the Steakhouse is guaranteed to be a favorite dining spot. For a nominal fee of $30 per person, guests can take in the atmosphere and enjoy the amazing culinary creations of our chefs.

The fee includes an appetizer, entrée, dessert and the wait staffs’ gratuity; additional gratuities are optional and may be extended in cash or to the guest's Sail & Sign Account, at the guest's discretion. The fee does not include any beverage that is normally ordered through the bar service such as wine, liquor, soda and bottled water. The $30 fee also applies to children.

The Steakhouse is an alternative to eating in the Main Dining Room or the Lido Restaurant, open daily, 5:30pm-9:30pm.

The dress code for the Steakhouse is Cruise Elegant (Jeans permitted on Cruise Casual evenings)."

As to them being empty, I guess that varies across ships and sailings. In my review of my cruise from two week s ago I noted how busy the steakhouse was all three nights I ate in there.

I've seen endless polls from John on facebook... coffee on the Lido was another, the new policy for buying liquor at port, etc. Nothing ever changes from them. It's called lip service to make your customers think you are listening.

We ate at the Golden Fleece 4 of the 7 nights and we dressed up very well. However, I wish I could have worn shorts or something more casual. In all the nights we were there...I went for the great meal...I could not tell you what anyone else was wearing...nor did I care. I was there for the meal...PERIOD.

Life is too short to worry about such things as what someone may or may not be wearing. Who cares? :p

"The Steakhouse

With an elegant, but fun-filled, relaxed and somewhat casual atmosphere and a menu that includes steakhouse favorites, the Steakhouse is guaranteed to be a favorite dining spot. For a nominal fee of $30 per person, guests can take in the atmosphere and enjoy the amazing culinary creations of our chefs.

Ah yes... I remember reading this. I commented, the first time I came across it, how this statement made it appear that they were trying to appeal to a specific demographic: EVERYONE!!

"Elegant and fun-filled"... sounds like dancing waiters are waiting in the wings!

No matter what it is though - it's the best quality food and venue that Carnival has to offer, so that's where we typically end up. It's a good deal for $30.

Tom

Ah yes... I remember reading this. I commented, the first time I came across it, how this statement made it appear that they were trying to appeal to a specific demographic: EVERYONE!!

"Elegant and fun-filled"... sounds like dancing waiters are waiting in the wings!

No matter what it is though - it's the best quality food and venue that Carnival has to offer, so that's where we typically end up. It's a good deal for $30.

Tom

Have to agree with you.

It's where I eat most nights.

Life is too short to worry about such things as what someone may or may not be wearing.

You're right. Life IS too short. And while I'm alive on earth, I'm appreciative of guidelines and that this isn't yet a 'free for all' society. I wouldn't wear shorts and flip-flops to a formal wedding. I'm glad some people DO care.;)

I'm appreciative that people on the Cruise Critic boards try to tell me how I should dress just about every day.

And I cheerfully ignore all of it.:)

People need to get over themselves and worry about their vacation, not mine.

If you don't feel Carnival is formal enough then find a cruise line that is formal enough and leave the rest of us alone.

Also do we really need people preaching about their version of the "rules" every day in every way?:(

I think people should just dress appropriately that is all...I live in South Florida where we all wear Jeans and nice flip flops whenever we go out..but it is vacation and your on a ship and in a nice dining room or steakhouse you should abide by the rules of a dress code...I dont think that T-shirt and Shorts with flip flops is appropriate in a dining room or Steakhouse but no one should have to be dressed to the nines but one shouldnt look sloppy either...JMO

This seems really easy to me.

One of the reasons i choose Carnival is because of the casual dress guidelines.

If I wanted more formal cruising I would take another Celebrity cruise. They have a whole bunch of dress codes, enough to keep a Cruise Critic member in Dress Code heaven.:)

Archived