5 day Liberty of the Seas vs 7 day

I'm planning my first cruise ever for March 2012. We're booked out of Fort Lauderdale on the 5 day Liberty of the Seas - Western Caribbean with stops in Labadee and Falmouth.

In doing my research on the ship, all the info I can find seems to be mostly focused on 7 day cruises. What kind of differences should I expect with a shorter 5 day sailing?

As it gets closer, will RCL tell me what nights are formal nights, whether there are dress up nights, etc etc so we can prep? i'd like to book one night at Chops but don't want to miss anything we'd like to do, kwim? Also, I'd want to do it on a night the kids get to go for dinner with AO. But is there any chance of finding out which night this would be?

I'm travelling with 2-3 other families and coordinating everything for them so I'm trying to get as knowledgeable as possible about everthing. (Plus i just like to know it all LOL!!)

I've been reading Cruise Compasses from several different sailings/ships.

I'm hoping more experienced cruisers will be able to help me with this.

The Liberty 5 day cruises out of FLL are new this fall - once she comes back from Europe and start sailing the caribbean there'll be tons of info on what days are what but unfortunately you'll have to wait 'til then :(

I was on the Liberty last month on a 5 day cruise. Barcelona-Villefranche-Cagliari-Civitavecchia-Barcelona - one sea day. There was one formal night.

The ship is so big and has so many people that you could wear any dress any night and it wouldn't matter. Formal night was pretty much ignored. I saw very few men dressed in a suit and tie or tux - maybe 10%. Women were dressed formal, semi-formal, business casual, anything but shorts on formal night.

The ship was very crowded. Even though it's a big ship, it didn't seem quite big enough for the amount of people on this cruise.

Thanks! I wasn't aware this was a new sailing for RCCL. That explains a lot! I knew I'd get some helpful info on here :)

RedSoxFan: Thanks for your input - this helps me start to picture the vibe on the ship.

the shorter the cruises, the more active people are imho.
Agree, and do realize your going in March aka Spring Break for many. Shorter the cruise the more kids they attract as well. Never swayed our thoughts on when to cruise but it does some.

BonVoyage

Dawna

You might want to look into the Nav of the Seas 5 night for the beginning of this year & last year. I am sure it will be similar stuff since the Navigator has been doing the 5, 5, 4 night runs for a while before going to Europe last month. That might answer some questions.

Tina

I'm planning my first cruise ever for March 2012. We're booked out of Fort Lauderdale on the 5 day Liberty of the Seas - Western Caribbean with stops in Labadee and Falmouth.

In doing my research on the ship, all the info I can find seems to be mostly focused on 7 day cruises. What kind of differences should I expect with a shorter 5 day sailing?

As it gets closer, will RCL tell me what nights are formal nights, whether there are dress up nights, etc etc so we can prep? i'd like to book one night at Chops but don't want to miss anything we'd like to do, kwim? Also, I'd want to do it on a night the kids get to go for dinner with AO. But is there any chance of finding out which night this would be?

I'm travelling with 2-3 other families and coordinating everything for them so I'm trying to get as knowledgeable as possible about everthing. (Plus i just like to know it all LOL!!)

I've been reading Cruise Compasses from several different sailings/ships.

I'm hoping more experienced cruisers will be able to help me with this.

Congrats on booking your 1st cruise!! We cruised the same 5 day itinerary on the NOS in March and will be cruising the same 1 again on the LOS in November. This was our 1st 5 day out of 6 cruises. We really didn't feel like we missed out on anything compared to a 7 cruise. It seems as though they fit just about everything in...we just had to stay up a little later! The formal night was on day 2. All of the other nights were casual. Day 3 was Italian night. I'm sorry, this November will be the 1st time that we take our kids with us, so I do not have any information regarding dinner with AO. Please let me know what other questions you have and I'll try to answer them!

What dates? We will be on the Liberty for a 5-nighter on March 26. Yep, it is my older 2 kids' spring break (the 2nd grader's school is much more forgiving if we pull him out for a few days, and their break schedules don't always jive).

You might want to look into the Nav of the Seas 5 night for the beginning of this year & last year. I am sure it will be similar stuff since the Navigator has been doing the 5, 5, 4 night runs for a while before going to Europe last month. That might answer some questions.

Tina

Yep, there's tons of reviews of that. The only thing that I can see that would be different is the hours of the FloRider. I have a review and I am going to post my compasses soon.

I was on the Liberty last month on a 5 day cruise. Barcelona-Villefranche-Cagliari-Civitavecchia-Barcelona - one sea day. There was one formal night.

The ship is so big and has so many people that you could wear any dress any night and it wouldn't matter. Formal night was pretty much ignored. I saw very few men dressed in a suit and tie or tux - maybe 10%. Women were dressed formal, semi-formal, business casual, anything but shorts on formal night.

The ship was very crowded. Even though it's a big ship, it didn't seem quite big enough for the amount of people on this cruise.

We too were on that cruise and enjoyed the 5 nights & would recommend it.

However I did not think the ship was too crowded at all.

Personally I would like to see formal night dropped on 5 nights and shorter.

I've sailed Liberty twice and Freedom once and never felt the ship was crowded. Well, one exception. When they hold those "sales" in the Promenade there are crowds there. I mostly avoid that scene!

I've sailed Liberty twice and Freedom once and never felt the ship was crowded. Well, one exception. When they hold those "sales" in the Promenade there are crowds there. I mostly avoid that scene!

Now come on - who doesn't like an elbow to the ribs or a wheelie walker over the toes while trying to look at a vinyl purse or a $10 watch

yes - I have obtained both so I as well stay away from the mass chaos of the $10 junkies getting their 'fix'

Hi RedSoxFan

We never did bump into each other on Liberty. We stayed on for the 4 night cruise and that was even fuller (probably as it was the Easter holidays)!!! Early dining was empty but the second seating was absolutely packed, the waiters had to obtain extra tables and chairs to cope with the numbers:eek:!!

Do you have a son? If so, did he attend the kids club as my DS met a lad that was a RedSox fan and I thought it may be your child??

We're still cruising on CB this summer to New England. Think we may book the trolley in Boston (see most of the main sites) and visit Harvard and MIT before finishing off with the Freedom Trail. Hope it's doable.

Jenny

Archived