One Practical/Reasonable Thing?

sail7seas

What brand of champagne did you receive in your suite?

It's like the standard bon voyage stuff. If you prefer not to have the champagne, you can exchange it for a bottle of wine:D

Well, if you think about it... and this is just me. What makes the difference in homes between a master bedroom and a master suite... the bathroom. If you stretch that then EVERYTHING on the ships is a suite simply because it's not a dorm. BUT, the deluxe suites also have the vanity area/dressing room

To be a true suite it should have separate bedroom and sitting areas - but maybe this the difference between English and US 'English'

To be a true suite it should have separate bedroom and sitting areas - but maybe this the difference between English and US 'English'

Actually Carol, the deluxe verandahs two have two areas. The sitting area is definitely a distance from the sleeping area. And a lot of the S suites (smaller ships), have a curtain that is drawn across the bedroom portion so that the sitting area is separate and private. Not quite two rooms, but very, very nice.:)

Actually Carol, the deluxe verandahs two have two areas. The sitting area is definitely a distance from the sleeping area. And a lot of the S suites (smaller ships), have a curtain that is drawn across the bedroom portion so that the sitting area is separate and private. Not quite two rooms, but very, very nice.:)

I have sailed in the deluxe suites several times on Veendam, Volendam, Ryndam & Rotterdam. I agree they are very nice but not quite a 'suite' in the same way as P&O or the Royal Suite on RCI which have 2 separate rooms with a closing door.

It is not just HAL that uses the word suite incorrectly, most of the cruise lines do it.

I do not mind too much but I wish they would not use the term suite to mean 2 quite different levels of accommodation.

I loved the SY we had on the Noordam for 35 days last year. I thought it was excellent value for money compared to SA, SB and SC. I just think 'Superior Suite' is the wrong description.

I have sailed in the deluxe suites several times on Veendam, Volendam, Ryndam & Rotterdam. I agree they are very nice but not quite a 'suite' in the same way as P&O or the Royal Suite on RCI which have 2 separate rooms with a closing door.

It is not just HAL that uses the word suite incorrectly, most of the cruise lines do it.

I do not mind too much but I wish they would not use the term suite to mean 2 quite different levels of accommodation.

I loved the SY we had on the Noordam for 35 days last year. I thought it was excellent value for money compared to SA, SB and SC. I just think 'Superior Suite' is the wrong description.

That's understandable :)

You are quite right. In both English English and American English a suite has to have at least two rooms. The term "suite" is misused in the US by those wishing to overstate their amenities and it is permitted by our lax consumer protection laws. HAL could call their cheapest cabin a suite since it has narrow curtains at the foot of the bed providing a slight line of demarcation between the sleeping area and sitting area. Many US motels make the same bogus suite claim. We are used to the exaggeration in the US.

The only true suite we've had on a cruise ship was our one and only Celebrity cruise on the now gone Galaxy in a Royal Suite. That cabin actually had doors between the bedroom and the living room/dining room. The veranda wasn't great but the cabin itself was fantastic. Our "suite" on our upcoming Silversea Wind cruise is kind of mix between a HAL deluxe suite and the Celebrity suite in that the bed is set aside in an alcove like area with a curtain that pulls across and separates the bed from the rest of the cabin. Personally I don't see it as being significantly different than the HAL notion of a suite.

It's like the standard bon voyage stuff. If you prefer not to have the champagne, you can exchange it for a bottle of wine:D

We have only received sparkling wine in our suites.

Last September the bottle we received, was so foul we emptied it down the drain. The following week, received another bottle of the same sparkling wine, which the concierge kindly exchanged for us.

The only true suite we've had on a cruise ship was our one and only Celebrity cruise on the now gone Galaxy in a Royal Suite. That cabin actually had doors between the bedroom and the living room/dining room. The veranda wasn't great but the cabin itself was fantastic. Our "suite" on our upcoming Silversea Wind cruise is kind of mix between a HAL deluxe suite and the Celebrity suite in that the bed is set aside in an alcove like area with a curtain that pulls across and separates the bed from the rest of the cabin. Personally I don't see it as being significantly different than the HAL notion of a suite.

When Zenith sailed for Celebrity, we booked the Royal Suite a number of times and that was a beautiful Suite. It had a full dining room/living room combination that was extremely comfortable.

A wall/door fully separated that area from the bedroom and main bathroom. I believe there was a half bath in the living room area but I'm not positive about that.

(Randy, or anyone .....

Was Galaxy a sister to Zenith?)

We also had a full suite by any definition on Ocean Princess, as she was called at the time and was relatively new to Princess. That was a great Suite. Very, very big master bath with big tub, marble, deluxe fixtures. The bedroom was completely separate room (wall and door) from the living room. Two tv's, one in bedroom and one in living room. I very clearly remember this Suite had a 'guest' half bath so anyone visiting did not see/go into bedroom and master bath area... ;) unless invited. :)

Those two were wonderful cabins.

I'm a little confused with this description of the dlx suites. An S dlx suite is only one large room with the bed right in the middle, the sitting area is at the end of the bed and the desk/drawers/window are on the sides of the bed and sitting area at the windows. The only curtain I remember is a small one just inside the entry door which can be pulled so that no one can see inside the room when you open the door, but there is no curtain to separate the sitting area and bed that I've ever seen. Any curtain would have to go clear down the center of the room to separate sitting and sleeping.

Looking at pictures on the website it sounds like you are describing the verandah suites where the sitting area is separate from the bed and there could be a curtain horizontally between, but anyone would have to go through the bed area to get to the sitting area (it's one long narrow room) so it isn't really that private.

Is my recollection of the dlx suite faulty? What I remember is exactly like the website pictures and we've stayed in a deluxe every cruise.

I'm a little confused with this description of the dlx suites. An S dlx suite is only one large room with the bed right in the middle, the sitting area is at the end of the bed and the desk/drawers/window are on the sides of the bed and sitting area at the windows. The only curtain I remember is a small one just inside the entry door which can be pulled so that no one can see inside the room when you open the door, but there is no curtain to separate the sitting area and bed that I've ever seen. Any curtain would have to go clear down the center of the room to separate sitting and sleeping.

Looking at pictures on the website it sounds like you are describing the verandah suites where the sitting area is separate from the bed and there could be a curtain horizontally between, but anyone would have to go through the bed area to get to the sitting area (it's one long narrow room) so it isn't really that private.

Is my recollection of the dlx suite faulty? What I remember is exactly like the website pictures and we've stayed in a deluxe every cruise.

I think (some :D ) of the confusion lies in Hal calling the Verandah cabins "Verandah Suites" on one class of ship and "Deluxe Verandah Ocean-view Staterooms" on others...

Love some of these ideas: 24 HR Neptune Lounge would be awesome! I'm often up very early, and I'd love to be able to pop-in for coffee or tea.

I also love posting the daily somewhere, I never seem to have mine on me when I'm wondering what to do next.

I wish the kids club had pagers (they can be on silent), or wave phones (also silent) so I could wander the ship without worrying that they can't contact me if they need to. Also if the times could be off set from the activities by even 10 minutes it would really help. There were too many activites or movies that would start or end at the same time I needed to be picking up or dropping off the kids, it just wasn't possible to do both at the same time.

Hi Peaches, I am a bit confused by your post. I am not confusing an S suite with a verandah suites. The S suites I have had were not the ones where the curatains were pulled at the entrance like the verandah suites.

My first deluxe was on the old Rotterdam and it was part of what won us over.

The bed was at the end of the room. The curtains are pulled around and literally, there is a complete separation between the bedroom and sitting area. Mind you, there is a nice sitting area in the bedrom, but another totally different sitting area.

I probably haven't explained this well, but as I look at our next deluxe on our next two S suites they appear to be the same. (haven't been on either ship though). Anyways, when I was considering my next cruise I emailed a cc pal and he said you will love it - it's like having two rooms.

On the larger ships, yes, they are one room, but not on the older ships.

Anyways, we can always agree to disagree ;)

On the larger ships, yes, they are one room, but not on the older ships.

Anyways, we can always agree to disagree ;)

;) Not trying to be disagreeable, Kazu, but what you are describing is not like the S lx we have been in on the Maasdam, Veendam, Rotterdam, Volendam, or Oosterdam. Have you only been on the previous Rotterdam no longer in service and no other S since then? The ones we have been in have all been the same and exactly like the picture on the website. No curtain around the bed and really just one big room. We LOVED the dlx suite, don't get me wrong, but it wasn't like what you have described on any of the ships we have been on. I assumed you had sailed in dlx suites recently.

;) Not trying to be disagreeable, Kazu, but what you are describing is not like the S lx we have been in on the Maasdam, Veendam, Rotterdam, Volendam, or Oosterdam. Have you only been on the previous Rotterdam no longer in service and no other S since then? The ones we have been in have all been the same and exactly like the picture on the website. No curtain around the bed and really just one big room. We LOVED the dlx suite, don't get me wrong, but it wasn't like what you have described on any of the ships we have been on. I assumed you had sailed in dlx suites recently.

hi Peaches, no worries - my first deluxe was the old Rotterdam. and we were enchanted. We do deluxe,

I have been on some S suites since (but not enough - we got diverted to the larger ships). when I looked at the pictures for the Prinsendam and the Maasdam they appeared the same as what we experienced on the Rotterdam. Ooesterdam is no comparison IMO. we were there too. but it is one large room.

anyways, if I am wrong, I am wrong, I'll find out in November, but I did the

video view of the Prinsendam and it looks similar to our wonderful experience the first time.:D

the same video tour looks the same on the Maasdam to me.

Maybe I'm missing the boat.

Oh well, ;) if I'm wrong, we will be very disappointed. :D

I just looked at Prisendam suite picture and see what you are talking about. None of the ships we have been on, including the Maasdam, have been anything like that. All the Dlx Suites we have been in on 5 ships have been one large room, including the Maasdam. They are great, but certainly no way they are made into 2 separate areas.

no, galaxy (76K gross tons) was almost twice the size of zenith (47K gross tons). neither are part of celebrities current fleet.

I remember now..... :D

Zenith's sister is (was) Horizon.

"S" Suites are one large room with dressing room and bathroom separated by a curtain we always leave open.

There is a curtain inside the entry door which can be pulled to eliminate light coming under the door and for privacy at night.

The only curtain I have seen that separates bed area from sitting area is Penthouse on Rotterdam. There is a half circle track on the ceiling that can close off the bed from the rest of the Penthouse. I don't recall if Maasdam's Penthouse has that curtain but think maybe not.

Technically, HAL's Deluxe Veranda Suites are Not Suites by the usual definition most of us visualize. To me, a true suite has at least two separate rooms in addition to bathroom.

All that being said, those "S" ("SA") Suites are wonderful cabins. We have spent hundreds of days in them and love those cabins both on "S" and "R" ships as well as the Vistas and Signature. While they are different on the Vistsa/Signature, both styles have pros and cons over the other. We like both styles....... ;) A lot!!!

I was invited for lunch and a tour on Silversea.....

I had a private tour with two friends who visited with me.

We saw the various Suites and found HAL's category "A" and "B" on "S and R" Class ships to be better cabins than almost all Silversea cabins. Their very best cabin (way more money than HAL) was the only that came close to comparing to the "S" cabins we have on "R and "S" Class ships. Their very best room (I think there is only one or two) compares somewhat for size and comfort. HAL cabins really are better IMO

I know people will pipe in with all the things that are better re: Silversea but as far as the cabins I viewed, HAL won for just about all the top cabin categories. IMO

I grant this visit was not on their newest ship.

Archived