Snorkel Park or Horseshoe Bay

Traysjj

This will be our first time traveling to Bermuda and we were all set to go to Horseshoe Bay. However, I am a little worried about the transportation. We have three children, 7, 10 & 12. Can anyone compare Horseshoe to Snorkel Park? If we book a transfer with the cruise line to Horseshoe will we still be waiting for what seems like it could be hours to get to and from Horseshoe? Any help on this would be much appreciated.

Thank You!

Snorkel Park is a man made beach. Horseshoe Bay is the classic pink sand Bermuda beach...it's what you see on postcards...there's no comparison. You may have to wait for a bus, but it shouldn't be for hours. With three children...presumably a total of five people...consider taking a taxi if you don't want to take the bus. A taxi will cost more than the bus, but should be considerably cheaper than the cruise ship's transfers.

Snorkel Park is a man made beach. Horseshoe Bay is the classic pink sand Bermuda beach...it's what you see on postcards...there's no comparison. You may have to wait for a bus, but it shouldn't be for hours. With three children...presumably a total of five people...consider taking a taxi if you don't want to take the bus. A taxi will cost more than the bus, but should be considerably cheaper than the cruise ship's transfers.

Cab ride is $6 per person (plus tip).

Take a cab.

Horseshoe Bay is a place to see before you die.

Go to Horseshoe Bay!

Some pics:

IMG_0097-1.jpg

IMG_0132-1.jpg

And a couple of attempts at panoramic shots:

efd66097.jpg

Excuse the ghosts, please

563c14bc.jpg

This one looks nice

Only comparing it to Horseshoe Bay....

BTW- they recently started charging for Snorkel Park....

Take note...often the buses from the Dockyard will have a specific bus that is just going to Horseshoe Bay....so that is something for you to consider...

If you only have a short day and want to stay close to the ship...then do the SP...

but if you have a full day...go to ANY of the wonderful beaches!!!

Bernadette

This will be our first time traveling to Bermuda and we were all set to go to Horseshoe Bay. However, I am a little worried about the transportation. We have three children, 7, 10 & 12. Can anyone compare Horseshoe to Snorkel Park? If we book a transfer with the cruise line to Horseshoe will we still be waiting for what seems like it could be hours to get to and from Horseshoe? Any help on this would be much appreciated.

Thank You!

There are some pictures already posted of Horseshoe Bay. As a comparison, here are some pictures of Snorkel Park (as viewed from the Naval Museum grounds).

232323232%7Ffp43438%3Enu%3D3253%3E2%3C7%3E336%3EWSNRCG%3D3436%3B76%3A35327nu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp43435%3Enu%3D3253%3E2%3C7%3E336%3EWSNRCG%3D3436%3B76%3A32327nu0mrj

Horseshoe bay looks VERY crowded...which end of the island is it located on?

It's on the South shore. About a 30 minute bus ride from the Dockyard. If you walk to the left of Horseshoe Bay you can find many quiet spots to relax and enjoy the beaches of South Shore Park.

• Administrators

I'm a beach person; I live at the beach! Here's what most people do at the beach: they walk for 2 minutes (if that) and plop themselves. Don't do that at Horseshoe.....walking for an extra 6 minutes or so will pay off in so many ways. Walk for 10......glorious. A bit more....seclusion!

I'm a beach person; I live at the beach! Here's what most people do at the beach: they walk for 2 minutes (if that) and plop themselves. Don't do that at Horseshoe.....walking for an extra 6 minutes or so will pay off in so many ways. Walk for 10......glorious. A bit more....seclusion!

It is amazing. At Horseshoe the majority of people congregate on the beach near the facilities as you say plopping there and then some complain that the beach is crowded. Just a short walk and the crowd quickly dissipates. And a little farther than that is as you say glorious and as you say you can walk to seclusion. And it is a gorgeous beach.

Snorkel Park is yuck, yuck, yuck...and you have to pay to use it. Most things advertised on their website weren't there. No floating slides in the water as per pictures, no snorkel trail with rest areas, no underwater signs explaining what you're seeing, no beach volleyball, no sand castle building contests, no music, etc.

Sand was very dirty, filled with beer/soda bottle caps, etc.

All this....and you had to pay to get in.

Horseshoe on the other hand...wonderfully beautiful and fabulous....and free...just pay for the bus.

If you must go where everybody goes, go to Horseshoe Bay. It is Bermuda's most popular and most crowded beach. It can be a hassle getting a packed bus to go there, then you have to walk down a long hill. On windy days, it gets very rough and the undertow can be dangerous. Getting back to the ship can be even harder than getting there. After walking up a long hill, try getting on a bus with hundreds of other waiting passengers. There is a reason the locals never go there when cruise ships are in port.

Bermuda has many beautiful, calm uncrowded beaches if you take the trouble to seek them out. Check the direction the wind is coming from before leaving and then go to a calm tranquil beach on the opposite side of the island.

Horseshoe, no doubt about it. I was just there last week on the Gem. We left VERY early on the last port day - 8am, caught a bus right away, so easy. It in unspeakably gorgeous with a calm, shady "Baby Beach" to the right that has no waves. You can take a $2 and 20 second long van ride up the hill when you are done. We waited ~4 minutes at the bus stop for a #7 back to the Dockyard. It was so easy and SO worth it!

It is amazing. At Horseshoe the majority of people congregate on the beach near the facilities as you say plopping there and then some complain that the beach is crowded. Just a short walk and the crowd quickly dissipates. And a little farther than that is as you say glorious and as you say you can walk to seclusion. And it is a gorgeous beach.

I chuckled when I saw the post saying the beach looked "crowded". ;)

Reminded me when we went on the Disney Magic, we stopped at their Castaway Cay private island and people were moaning about how it was so crowded and that it was no better than the Jersey shore... My husband & I looked at each other and said," when 1000 people all get off the ship at one time, what else would it be, but crowded?" lol

I chuckled when I saw the post saying the beach looked "crowded". ;)

Reminded me when we went on the Disney Magic, we stopped at their Castaway Cay private island and people were moaning about how it was so crowded and that it was no better than the Jersey shore... My husband & I looked at each other and said," when 1000 people all get off the ship at one time, what else would it be, but crowded?" lol

Exactly...I just returned from Bermuda...went to Horseshoe Bay and found it to be great...if your willing to walk a bit, then head to the left hand side of the beach (facing the water). It seems that everyone just stays right where in the middle, so that area is virtually empty.

And if you get there early then you can head to the right where there is a little cove and it is protected from the waves.

When I was there the surf was rought with 4-5 waves...great for just walking around, but not much else.

It is a beautiful beach!

How do the handicap in scooters get to any of the beaches as they can not get on the bus from the dockyard. Thanks for your help

Bermuda is not very handicap accessible. I think there are a few taxis that might take a scooter but then what would you do at the beach with it? If you can walk at all a folding travel wheelchair might be better for the beach. You would still need a taxi but that you could get in any taxi.

If we take a taxi to Horseshoe Bay, how can we be certain of getting a return taxi to King's Wharf, where my ship (Celebrity Summit) will be? We have some mobility issues===my husband has had a stroke and has left side neuropathy compounded by sciatica. So much as he loves beaches and much as he would like to snorkel a bit, we cannot take long walks or stand up for long periods.

Any advice would be appreciated on getting taxis from the beaches.

If we take a taxi to Horseshoe Bay, how can we be certain of getting a return taxi to King's Wharf, where my ship (Celebrity Summit) will be? We have some mobility issues===my husband has had a stroke and has left side neuropathy compounded by sciatica. So much as he loves beaches and much as he would like to snorkel a bit, we cannot take long walks or stand up for long periods.

Any advice would be appreciated on getting taxis from the beaches.

I never had any problem getting taxis there but you can also call a taxi company and get one dispatched.

Archived