Tivoli Day Trip

endymion6942

We (my family of 4) are spending a week pre-cruise in Rome.

I am looking at a possible day trip to Tivoli (Villa Adriana, Villa d'Este, etc.).

Here's the question, Should we us one of the tour companies or just take a bus?

Rick Steves' book says take an organized tour.

However, the "Rome for Dummies" book (that's me). says it easy to do on your own.

Has anyone done this?

Any and all opinions would be welcome.

Many thanks

We (my family of 4) are spending a week pre-cruise in Rome.

I am looking at a possible day trip to Tivoli (Villa Adriana, Villa d'Este, etc.).

Here's the question, Should we us one of the tour companies or just take a bus?

Rick Steves' book says take an organized tour.

However, the "Rome for Dummies" book (that's me). says it easy to do on your own.

Has anyone done this?

Any and all opinions would be welcome.

Many thanks

Hi there,

We used Romeinlimo for our trip to Tivoli last summer.

You may want to look at this thread that was started last week:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1408352

Enjoy!

If you research on TripAdvisor you will find that you can do this on your own. However, it is complicated. I usually try to do everything on our own with public transport, but we had a group of eight and it made sense to have a private tour. We were very happy with Driverinrome.

Getting to Tivoli is relatively easy on the train (change or start at the Rome Tibertina station) or a bus. Once in Tivoli its a short stroll the Villa d'Este). The problem is Villa Adriana which is actually located outside Tivoli (not within walking distance) so you need to use a different bus to get to this site (there are some buses that run from Tivoli).

Hank

If you want to do both sites, I think it's easier to just take a tour, much as I'm not a proponent of tours. I researched this on Tripadvisor and other forums and decided to just go with the tour on my first visit to Tivoli.

However, if you only want to do one of the sites, you can do it on your own with a minimum of fuss; there is good info on the Rome forums on Tripadvisor on how to accomplish this.

cruisemom42-Who did you use for a tour?RomeinLImo and similiar companies are too expensive for just 2 people

For clarity, I did this while staying in Rome, not from the cruise ship.

I booked a group tour with Enjoy Rome. It was just average, truthfully, and I wouldn't necessarily recommend them; then again, perhaps I'm letting my later experience with them color my feelings -- they cancelled my walking tour of the Via Appia at the last minute (i.e., after I'd already made my way to the tour meeting point), and wanted to substitute a different tour that wasn't of interest to me rather than refund me.

I'm sure there must be other companies that offer the Tivoli day trip.

Archived