T-Shirts Not Allowed in Main Restaurant?

Miss UK

A windbreaker, golf jacket or sweatshirt jacket suggested with a t shirt for BREAKFAST? – Really????????

I almost 60 mass market cruises, I’ve never seen ANY jacket of ANY material or style required, expected or even suggested at breakfast or lunch in the MDR.

M

Odd 'cause in my over 30 yrs of cruising (approx 76 I think :) cruises & counting) mass-market to luxury lines I have seen many ('casual' usually although occasionally the odd 'dress' jacket & sometimes even with a tie) jackets being worn in the MDR for both breakfast or lunch..If memory serves me, it was usually older folks in 'dress' jackets and also for embarkation & departure days..

I do not care what folks wear at least for breakfast or lunch, as long as it is reasonably tasteful (NO torn, smelly or dirty clothing please) and I believe most cruisers wld agree with me..

So OP - wear the T-shirt proudly and any kind of coverup u want to or might need to - those DRs can get chilly sometimes :)

Have great cruisin' all! :)

So I can't wear dumb casual:D

If the "smart" part of smart casual is meant to describe the person wearing the casual clothes, then I have no choice but to go dumb casual. :o

And I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one...

Thanks for the video. The brunch does look really good and I can't wait for ours.

I thought the guys in board shorts, ball caps and oversized t-shirts did look out of place. Will anyone throw you out of the dining room for wearing them? It doesn't seem that way, nor would I ever complain to the waiter or Maitre'd about them. I would not let what they are wearing ruin my enjoyment of the brunch. On the other hand I didn't think they looked approrpriate for an upscale brunch nor are they within the dress code as published by Celebrity.

Why worry about t-shirts when nothing is said about people wearing their ball caps inside. Hats are designed to be worn outside and are not appropriate in the dining room. This seems to be a growing trend and is one that shows disrespect.

Why worry about t-shirts when nothing is said about people wearing their ball caps inside. Hats are designed to be worn outside and are not appropriate in the dining room. This seems to be a growing trend and is one that shows disrespect.

Agreed - ball caps in the dining room is worse.

I actually asked a man to remove his cap at the table.

M

If the "smart" part of smart casual is meant to describe the person wearing the casual clothes, then I have no choice but to go dumb casual. :o

And I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one...

Consider yourself Smart for sailing with Celebrity. Sorry that anyone would consider themselves dumb. Smart Casual is a term that Celebrity uses to describe the attire accepted.

I just returned from a cruise on the Celebrity Summit. At breakfast, a man was turned away from the dining room because he wore a tank top and shorts, while the next person was allowed in with a regular t-shirt and shorts.

At dinner, most cruisers on Celebrity seem to dress up a bit more than other ships, but I've seen very few tuxes lately.

Agreed - ball caps in the dining room is worse.

I actually asked a man to remove his cap at the table.

M

Thats a generational thing, I always remove my baseball cap even if I'm eating at McDonalds because that is what my mother taught me. Taught my son the same thing however a lot of parents don't know or don't care.

I just returned from a cruise on Celebrity, and people wore t-shirts wherever. In fact, on the first formal night, there was a guy in the main dining room with a black t-shirt, black jeans on and tennis shoes. Needless to say we were all shocked due to the fact that everyone else was in formal attire. He was served and no one asked him to leave.

I just returned from a cruise on Celebrity, and people wore t-shirts wherever. In fact, on the first formal night, there was a guy in the main dining room with a black t-shirt, black jeans on and tennis shoes. Needless to say we were all shocked due to the fact that everyone else was in formal attire. He was served and no one asked him to leave.

May I be the first to welcome you to CruiseCritic

Inquiring mimes want to know

Were the Tennis Shoes black also?

May I be the first to welcome you to CruiseCritic

Inquiring mimes want to know

Were the Tennis Shoes black also?

Tennis shoes should never be black . . . only white apparel for that sport. Black means they are basketball shoes, just ask Chuck Taylor. Too bad the dastardly brothers Rudolf and Adolf feuded and had to ruin the great sporting traditions.

Consider yourself Smart for sailing with Celebrity. Sorry that anyone would consider themselves dumb. Smart Casual is a term that Celebrity uses to describe the attire accepted.

I know. I'z just kiddin' around... ;)

One thing to be careful first formal night, people can often me in casual attire because their luggage has not yet arrived because of some airline issues. I accept that may not have been case here, but I am always a little cautious about my judgements that night. It happened to our table mates on a previous cruise and I did feel for them, they already had the pain of not having their luggage and we persuaded them still to come to dinner rather than order it from room service. It was disappointing to hear some of the tuts and mutters as we walked in with them

Tennis shoes should never be black . . . only white apparel for that sport. Black means they are basketball shoes, just ask Chuck Taylor. Too bad the dastardly brothers Rudolf and Adolf feuded and had to ruin the great sporting traditions.

What is the rule for the color of socks. Can I wear black socks with white tennis shoes?

It clearly states on Celebrity's website that T-shirts are not allowed in the main dining room at any time. I would ask maitre d when you first arrive.

have fun.

May I be the first to welcome you to CruiseCritic. How did you find out about us?

Hi, this is my first cruise and I was looking on the Celebrity website at the dress code and noted that t-shirts are not allowed in the main restaurant at any time. How strict do they enforce this rule? Obviously a t-shirt wouldn't be worn when having dinner, but for breakfast and lunch times either on sail days or having breakfast just before going to shore, it seems a little extreme to me?

Congratulations! I hope you really have a great time on your first cruise. They are always the most thrilling times. I have sailed on two Celebrity cruises in the past. I just returned from an 11-day sail in the Eastern/Southern Caribbean. For Breakfast I can say I wore Khaki / Cargo style shorts and polo shirts and had no issue in the Main Dining Room. I was always off ship during lunch in the MDR so I cannot comment on the dress code. For night time dining, I would say a "t-shirt" would be inapropriate. Your daily sheets will tell you what the level of formality is each night. Our 11-day cruise had two "formal" nights and the rest were listed as "Smart Casual". For men, a button down shirt and slacks would be more than appropriate... for women, blouses and dress pants could work, but many women dressed up way more than I thought they would on the "Smart Casual" nights. If you are wearing a traditional t-shirt, you would look out of place and probably feel out of place. If you really don't want to dress up, the Ocean Grill offers plenty of food options and the only requirement is to not be in swimwear.

I hope this helps you some.... enjoy!

A jacket for BREAKFAST - Really????????? Have to admit –that I’ve never sailed Celebrity ( I have a cruise booked for January 2012) but in almost 60 mass market cruises, I’ve never seen a jacket needed at breakfast or lunch in the MDR.

Can other Celebrity cruisers comment on the dress expectation for breakfast and lunch.

Thanks, M

Sounds like you are coming up on your first Celebrity cruise... congratulations! I enjoy Celebrity cruises due to the fact that they tend to be a bit more upscale in their expectations for persons on ship. There is no need to dress up for breakfast, but common sense should dictate. If in doubt, you can always read more threads here or even call Celebrity and talk to a staff to answer your specific questions.

Good luck!

cruisestitch, I'm going to respectfully disagree with you. There are different types of t-shirts. There are the type that one would wear very casually with shorts, perhaps with a logo or some sort of design on the front. I agree that they would not be appropriate at dinner in the MDR.

There are also tshirts which are technically tshirts but are really just plain cotton colored shirts designed to be worn with a blazer or jacket. There are also embellished tshirts which can look dressy when worn with the right top. They're appropriate to wear to work, and appropriate to wear in the MDR provided the entire outfit is sufficiently dressy.

For the guys, my husband has several silk-blend tshirts that he routinely wears on the casual nights of cruises. He wears them with dress slacks or khakis, decent shoes, a belt, etc. He does not look sloppy or underdressed. I've been on at least 50 ships from luxury lines to mass-market lines, and neither he nor I are breaking the dress code or look out of place.

Again, with this persons view point... common sense dictates. If the people around you are more dressed up looking than you are, you will look out of place and feel out of place. Save the plain looking cotton t-shirts for the pool or going off-ship. If the t-shirt can be worn in such a way that it looks dressed up, then maybe it will work. Just my thoughts.

This is my first X cruise but when on land I frequent the Four Seasons. So my expectation is that the level of guest will be close to that. As long as your tee is a classy one and not sporting the NY Jets or a tractor pull then you should be fine. If you really want to slob about there are ships that encourage it. This is not one. All that said, around the pool and other public areas you can find me showing off my tattoos and hot bod :) I saw no policy about being covered in ink.....