Question on Princess 75 Day Policy

dfields1814

I have a hypthetical question ... just curious.

Let say that I am within the 75 day cancellation period. I am completely paid up. Princess has all my money needed for the cruise. Then out of the blue I see another cruise exactly like the one that is paid for in the exact same amount but on a better week. Could Princess move me to the other cruise in that it is exactly the same or would I have to cancel, pay the penalty and rebook with the better travel date?

I don't kow why you couldn't transfer to another date if the price and cabin assignment is exactly the same. It would not cost Princess anything. But maybe there is a good reason that I don't know about.

Has anyone done this successfully.. without a penalty?

Princess does not allow you to transfer money paid after final payment date to another sailing. If you wish to do so, you would have to cancel, pay the penalty and rebook the alternate cruise. They do not just transfer. Sorry!

As said, you would have to cancel, pay the penalty, and re-book on another cruise. The contract and penalties are clearly spelled out and you accepted them before making final payment. They will not "move" you unless the ship is completely sold out and they need your cabin. That does happen but not often.

However, if you had insurance with a "cancel for any reason" option, it's possible you could cancel, get your money back or get a credit, and then re-book on the other cruise. Since that would also be past final payment, you would have to pay in full when you book. It'd be complicated but potentially possible.

Thanks for your input.

Earlier this year I booked a cruise so that I would be back in time for a business meeting. Then they changed the meeting date so that it fell right in the middle of the cruise. I just skipped the meeting since it wasn't my fault the date was changed. But I was just curious if I could have gotten another cruise.... Guess not.

Thanks for your input.

Earlier this year I booked a cruise so that I would be back in time for a business meeting. Then they changed the meeting date so that it fell right in the middle of the cruise. I just skipped the meeting since it wasn't my fault the date was changed. But I was just curious if I could have gotten another cruise.... Guess not.

If you had Princess Platinum insurance, you would have been covered. Access America has a plan that covers late cancellations for business reasons for an extra $24 per person. We always take out one or the other and have had to use it. Never had a problem collecting the money or credit.

There is one exception to this. IF the other ship is underbooked and yours is overbooked and it happens to be fairly early in the 75 day window, Princess may consider your offer. But that's rare.

Even then, cabin selection would probably be limited, TD not available, excursions limited, etc.

If you had Princess Platinum insurance, you would have been covered. Access America has a plan that covers late cancellations for business reasons for an extra $24 per person. We always take out one or the other and have had to use it. Never had a problem collecting the money or credit.

But you would still be out the price you paid for the insurance. ;)

Becasue of an extensive home remodel that went longer than expected, we tried to do exactly what you are saying just this past April. To confirm what others have already said, the answer from Princess was "No way".

We went on the cruise -- remodel is still underway.

Archived