Ship Transfers??

We are travelling to Alaska in August. Ship transfers are $76 for the two of us. This gets us to our hotel in Anchorage, then to the airport in Vancouver. Looks like a taxi would be $25 + tip in Anchorage, and the skytrain to the airport only $8 per person in Vancouver (we have plenty of time until out flight). Is there a reason to keep those transfers that I don't know about?

Plus, if we opt to pay our own way, can we disemabrk the ship when we want, or do we still have to wait until told to go? Thanks for the info... we've never cruised before, and I don't want to pay for something i don't need.

If you think it is cheaper to do your own transfers then cancel the ship's transfer

for most ships

They usually ask when you want to disembark (last day) & they will give you a colour/number code tags for luggage & then they call the colours/number & you can leave the ship

They usually want everyone off by 9:30am

The breakfast dining usually closes at 8 or 8:30am so you just have time to hang out until you are called

The only time I would consider ships transfers is if it is a very long distance ship to airport with limited do it yourself options like Seattle to Vancouver. I have seen people being herded in the airport and made to wait standing for people who are on planes that have not yet arrived. We've breezed past these people out to a taxi directly to the hotel. Since we arrive by ourselves at the hotel, we do not have to wait on line to get our room keys.

On the other side of the story I've heard of people who have almost missed their flights because they had to sit on the bus for an hour waiting for someone scheduled for the bus who couldn't find their luggage, who missed the announcement, the bus had to unload at 2 other terminals first, you name it we've read it here on cruise critics.

Since you are coming in a day early and you have plenty of time until your flight, I would do it myself. If you have too much luggage, splurge on a porter.

Just one question, how do you get from Anchorage to the ship? This is a long distance.

• 2 months later...

Archived