Ship Transfers in Anchorage & Vancouver

travellingnana

Ship transfers are going to cost $76 for the two of us. We are ablebodied.

We arrive in Anchorage at 7:30PM. If we opt to use the Princess cruiseline transfers to the hotel how does that work? Do we have to sit on a shuttle bus and wait to go until it's full?

There's the Sky Train in Vancouver that looks like a good alternative once we disembark.

Are the ship transfers worth it for any reason that I don't know about?

Thank you!

We arrive in Anchorage at 7:30PM. If we opt to use the Princess cruiseline transfers to the hotel how does that work? Do we have to sit on a shuttle bus and wait to go until it's full?

There's the Sky Train in Vancouver that looks like a good alternative once we disembark.

Thank you!

I think ship transfers are worth it when you are unsure of where to go or whether you can handle your own luggage, or if there aren't good transportation options. Vancouver has other great options that won't slow you down and the SkyTrain is fast and easy.

There have been a couple of times on cruises when we've grown so frustrated with waiting for transfers that were included in a package that we've just grabbed a cab.

Viv

Thank you!

If it's Anchorage (not Seward), then most people are saying it's a pretty cheap cab to the airport. As for Vancouver, it's $3.75 for Waterfront Station (3 blocks from Canada Place) to YVR, if you can roll your luggage definitely the cheapest and fastest way (and that doesn't happen very often)

Thank you!

With your "Anchorage" question- are you talking about going from the airport to your hotel??? That is a simple manner of just getting a cab, Hopefully you compared direct bookings, if you used a cruise hotel?? Cabs are about $25+++

Sky Train, is excellent- I use public transportation- city buses, subways etc all the time. BUT, so many people can't handle it, due to over packing, that a cab is sometimes the better option. I run through NYC, up/down subways, on/off buses etc, it's "normal" for me, but not for most people. I don't have to "think" about my stops, where I have to go or anything else, even in places for the first time. I have also seen "panic" with some people. So, determine what will work best for you.

I think you need to clarify your question a bit more. Usually cruise transfers are from the airport to the port or vice versa. Are you talking a cruise tour in Anchorage or are you going to the port? This will make a huge difference in how to respond to your questions.

If you are going from Anchorage to Whittier to get on the ship, then transfers are a good choice. If you are going from the airport in Anchorage to a hotel in Anchorage, then a cab may be a better option. Many hotels offer free airport shuttles.

We decided to take the Princess transfers to the port. Princess quoted us $76 from Anchorage to Whittier (port) and then from Vancouver port (Canada Place) to the Vancouver airport.

In our case we arrive in Anchorage and are taking the hotel shuttle to the hotel. We will then take the hotel shuttle back to the Anchorage airport to take the airport to get the cruise shuttle to the port in Whittier. We are then after the cruise taking the cruise line shuttle from the port in Vancouver to the airport in Seattle (flights were much cheaper from Seattle). It cost a bit more for the shuttle to Seattle, but the savings in airfare made it worth it.

Oops, I think I was writing at the same time you were posting. You are going on a cruise tour. Find out from Princess if the transfers include getting to the port later in your vacation.

Otherwise see if your hotel offers a free shuttle.

vmom...thank you for that thought. I'm pretty sure my transfers are just from the airport to the hotel in Anchorage, then again later from Vancouver (where we disembark) to the airport. My cruisetour will take us up to Denali, and then to Whittier where we get on the ship.

Archived