Tell me a little about Ruby Princess

maggie cruises

Hello everyone,

I just joined this board but I have lurked:D here for a bit and I am no novice to travel or cruising.

So my family and I are doing the Med next summer again and are planning on the Ruby.

Any hints or advice?

Particularly about Dolphin deck insides. MDR, buffet and especially what can we expect to see on MUTS? Theme films while in the Med I would hope...like Tuscan Sun, Gladiator and the like....

any and all info appreciated

Thanks,

Maggie (as in May):D

We were on the Ruby back in January (Eastern Caribbean). We had a good time and everything was excellent. We did late traditional dining and had a very good waiter. The one couple had an issue with the iced tea, so the waiter would mix their regular iced tea with lemonade (I think) to match what they like back home. They didn't hesitate to bring us extra dishes, if someone couldn't choose between the options. We didn't do the buffets very often. On day we were in Cafe Caribe for lunch and they were doing an Italian day and it was very good. Sabatini's was excellent, too - well worth the cover charge.

Our room steward was great. We were on Dolphin deck in a mini suite (D702), it was nice, but the balcony was open and very breezy, which made it hard to sit out on. The balconies on Dolphin are the furthest ones out, so everyone above you can see down to you and if they drop anything, it ends up on your balcony. I got a little tired of finding burnt matches out there. :(

We made a late decision to join a shore excursion and they had no problem getting us into it, even though it was 10pm the night before. MUTS was a mix of fairly recent movies and some concerts, but there was no theme to it. We didn't see any of the shows, but the comedians were pretty good. They also show the movies on the tv system, too so if you miss something you wanted to see you might be able to catch it that way.

The spa was nice and the staff didn't push their products too aggressively, which was a little surprising. I like getting a massage, but there really isn't any point in buying the products to take home, seeing as how they don't come with the RMT (though they should at that price).

Have a nice cruise, hopefully this info helps.

We were also on the Ruby in January of 2011 for the Eastern Caribbean trip. Our next trip (Europe in May 2012) will be on the Ruby as well.

The ship is beautiful - the piazza (atrium) is gorgeous with the marble flooring, and its been fitted with the International Cafe and Vines (the wine and sushi place). We never got a chance to try vines, but I got a latte at the IC that was quite yummy.

We didn't catch alot of MUTS, but the football playoffs were on the night we sailed and they showed both games, which was a nice touch for football nuts like DH and I (more me).

We did the anytime dining, and other than having to wait for a table (pretty normal) dinner service was great, the people really friendly.

As usual, the staff was great and very friendly. We did have a balcony room, but I honestly don't remember what deck we were on now, so I can't help you there. I can say that other than the teeny weeny shower, the room was great and perfectly adequate for folks like us who only go to the room to sleep. We also had a great room steward who took great care of us. We get so pampered that when we get home, we wonder for a few days why the bed hasn't been made! :D

Hope you enjoy!

I'm looking at a booking a Ruby cruise in the Med in September. Since my 73 year old mother worries about getting sea sick (she's never cruised before) I'm looking at an Inside cabin on Deck 5 (Plaza). Anyone know anything about these cabins? I can be a bit of a light sleeper myself, but I have stayed in a similar cabin type before (inside, lower deck) without problem.

I haven't told my mother about the hideous storm we encountered on the way to Barcelona (the last port o' call on our cruise) the last time I sailed this one in 1996 - where even I was horribly 'unwell'

I'm looking at a booking a Ruby cruise in the Med in September. Since my 73 year old mother worries about getting sea sick (she's never cruised before) I'm looking at an Inside cabin on Deck 5 (Plaza). Anyone know anything about these cabins? I can be a bit of a light sleeper myself, but I have stayed in a similar cabin type before (inside, lower deck) without problem.

I haven't told my mother about the hideous storm we encountered on the way to Barcelona (the last port o' call on our cruise) the last time I sailed this one in 1996 - where even I was horribly 'unwell'

Plaza Deck inside cabins are a wonderful choice. Try to get one as close to midship as you can (the 300 series of cabins). Starboard (right) side cabins will be a bit quieter as you can't walk to midship in that corridor because Vines blocks it. On the port side, you can walk aft right into the International cafe, which I personally prefer but there will be a bit more traffic outside your cabin on that side. Plaza Deck is very convenient for getting on and off the ship in port, and for watching the frequent entertainment in the Piazza.

We loved the Ruby! It is newer and gorgeous. Liked the balcony we had on Dolphin. Can't recall if it is totally uncovered or not. Besides, I'd rather look straight down the side and see the water than see a lot of tiered balconies below. Never even noticed the balconies above. And, never had matches or other stuff float down. If I did see a match or a butt, I would report this to Security as it is prohibited to throw things over the side and cigarettes and matches are a big fire hazard. Princess would take that issue seriously. Have fun. My only reservation about your plans (And, remember this is just me), I'd stay out of Mexico just now. Period.

If I did see a match or a butt, I would report this to Security as it is prohibited to throw things over the side and cigarettes and matches are a big fire hazard. Princess would take that issue seriously.

Just what would you expect the cruise line to do about the problem? :cool:

We were on the Ruby last March for a 10 day southern carib...we had a room on the Lido deck which at first had me concerned about noise and traffic - neither of which were the case. We had anytime dining and ate mostly in Cafe Caribe which was a great choice for us. It was quiet, the service was wonderful and it was an overall relaxing time. MUTS showings were Blind Side and the Invention of Lying - mixed in with a few concerts and some travel shows. We did eat once at the steakhouse - which is ALOT of food if you are not big eaters or nice size portions if you are.

All in all, Ruby is a great choice and I know that you will not be disappointed.

A few more things:

1. Great staff. (captain, maitre 'd, head waiters, etc.)

2. Four separate fresh water pools. (two are adults only)

3. Buffet is open 24 hours.

4. Sister ship to the Emerald and Crown Princesses.

I was worried about getting sea sick on my first cruise, too. I borrowed a friend's bracelets, which didn't work for me, though she swore by them. I ended up getting the pills from the ship's shop. They weren't terribly expensive and worked fairly well for me. I'm claustiphobic, so I've never had an inside cabin, so I don't know if that could help or not. When my TA helped us with our first cruise, she suggested a mid-ship cabin if I was worried about seasickness. Of course, Princess offered then us an upgrade to a full suite at the aft end of the ship, so I took the risk and found it wasn't so bad. Mind you, we didn't hit any really bad weather, so there is a bit of luck involved.

We sailed on the Ruby for a T/A in 2009. Outstanding crew and ship. Having The buffet open 24 hours was great. Entertainment was great. We had a PH suite and wern't to happy with the narrow balcony (Riviera Deck). If I ever have the financial ability to book a suite again, it won't be a PH suite.

One thing that really made our Ruby cruise so great was the fantastic CC roll call group we sailed with. Truly fantastic people.....:):):)

If you decide on the Ruby, you won't be disappointed. We are sailing her again in October for another T/A.

Bob

We sailed on the Ruby 3 consecutive times in last year (just a coincidence!) and we got married on the Ruby at Christmas! We consider her "our" ship! Lol! As others have said...wonderful ship and wonderful staff.

Funny....I always wondered why the heck people cared about the cruise director - until I had a bad one (not on the Ruby). If Lisa Ball is still there, she's wonderful. I swear to God she takes a happy pill every morning! So personable, involved, non-scripted - great director. I'm compaing with our last cruise on the Caribbean Princess in which by day 3 or 4 we couldn't have even told you who the director was - he was boring and absent. During the morning show (on your stateroom TV) he read directly from a script the whole time - not exactly spontaneous!

The only downfall for us was having been there 3 times in 12 months, it was a little like groundhog day....they shows and activities were the same on all 3 cruises. That's understandable though...they couldn't possibly train the entertainment staff for completely new shows every couple of months. Besides...I'm sure it's not normal to sail on the same ship that often so that's our fault! :p

As for MUTS....they change often so who knows what you will get. They try to have some fairly new releases and they also play things like music concerts and sports sometimes through the day. Kepp an eye on your Patter!

I have E731 on the Ruby booked for next December for eastern caribbean. Now wondering if it will be too windy to use that extended balcony much. Anyone who has done this have any input for me? Should I get one more mid-ship?

As for MUTS....they change often so who knows what you will get. They try to have some fairly new releases and they also play things like music concerts and sports sometimes through the day. Kepp an eye on your Patter!

They haven't changed most of their concerts since they added the MUTS screen on the ships. Boeing & overly loud.

I have E731 on the Ruby booked for next December for eastern caribbean. Now wondering if it will be too windy to use that extended balcony much. Anyone who has done this have any input for me? Should I get one more mid-ship?

Looks like we're on the same sailing as you. We specifically booked aft (stern) so we didn't have to deal with any kind of wind.

Thanks Maggie for starting this thread. I have a question for those of you who have called on Istanbul while on the Ruby.

Is it still the case that the you can get your Visa that day? For a smallish fee? Are there just forms to fill out and hand to the Istanbul port people?

Bottom line...what was the procedure for those that have done it? How do you pay for the visa?

My only experience in obtaining a visa was for Rio when we had to trot down to the Brazilian consulate in nyc and Russia..pre 1988..when we had to provide numerous photes and go thru a 6 week process.

I believe the Turkish visa for a port visit is very simple...anyone with firSthand knowledge care to elaborate?

I know I can go to the ports board...but I know someone here has the answer...thanks.

Thanks Maggie for starting this thread. I have a question for those of you who have called on Istanbul while on the Ruby.

Is it still the case that the you can get your Visa that day? For a smallish fee? Are there just forms to fill out and hand to the Istanbul port people?

Bottom line...what was the procedure for those that have done it? How do you pay for the visa?

My only experience in obtaining a visa was for Rio when we had to trot down to the Brazilian consulate in nyc and Russia..pre 1988..when we had to provide numerous photes and go thru a 6 week process.

I believe the Turkish visa for a port visit is very simple...anyone with firSthand knowledge care to elaborate?

I know I can go to the ports board...but I know someone here has the answer...thanks.

I'm not sure if I'm answering what you are asking, but I'm pretty sure my TA mentioned no visa was needed for Istanbul if you are part of a cruise, only if you were planning to come via plane and stay. That's assuming that (1) I remembered her correctly and (2) that you are a US resident.

Reporting fire hazards may encourage the cruiseline to consider changing the policy of smoking and matches in the cabins and on the balcony.

Claire

There's not to much that can do about a single incident but I didn't think about it in that light. Good idea. ;)

Particularly about Dolphin deck insides. MDR, buffet and especially what can we expect to see on MUTS? Theme films while in the Med I would hope...like Tuscan Sun, Gladiator and the like....

any and all info appreciated

We did the Grand Med cruise last summer. They didn't play any special Med-themed movies on MUTS, just the usual recent releases and concerts that are shown on all the other Princess ships. We had a similar idea and got some Med-themed movies from Netflix prior to our cruise. They were fun to watch and they got us excited about the places we were visiting.

If arriving via cruise ship and a US resident, you do not need a visa for the Turkish ports. (I don't believe UK or Canadian residents did either, as their passports were collected like the American passengers', but don't quote me on that.) The ship will collect your passport (either at boarding or sometime during the cruise, depending on the embarkation port) and hold it to turn it over to the Turkish authorities. When returning from port in Turkey, you'll need to fill out a landing card (name, address, basic info - nothing complicated) and drop it in a box by the gangway. After the Turkish port stops are over, Princess returned our passports. Very simple and painless.

I'm not sure if I'm answering what you are asking, but I'm pretty sure my TA mentioned no visa was needed for Istanbul if you are part of a cruise, only if you were planning to come via plane and stay. That's assuming that (1) I remembered her correctly and (2) that you are a US resident.

I am already booked for the Ruby thru a big online TA who does lots and lots of cruises and my confirmation was highlighted in red ink that visas are needed for this cruise....it is way off so I am not concerned right now about it as I will certainly not wait for someone to call me about it...I will be touching base frequently with my TA about the visa...I just wanted to know the procedures from someone who was on the Ruby and called on Istanbul.

Thanks

Archived